Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adjusting Aimpoint H1

+3
SteveT
james r chapman
straybrit
7 posters

Go down

Adjusting Aimpoint H1 Empty Adjusting Aimpoint H1

Post by straybrit Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:27 am

Adjusting my aimpoint during the match yesterday I managed to lose (and then find - thankfully) the cap/adjuster. Not only is it eminently losable but actually doing that adjustment is, I think, an unnecessary aggravation compared to sights with easier mechanisms.  Looking around I've seen this ...
https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/ATA-Adjustable-Turret-cap-Aimpoint-Micro_p_143.html

which is, to my mind, a partial solution as it doesn't have any adjustment scale marked on it. 

Anyone else seen/invented a better solution to quick and accurate adjustments to an H1?

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Adjusting Aimpoint H1 Empty Re: Adjusting Aimpoint H1

Post by james r chapman Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:08 am

Adjusting Aimpoint H1 93e71910
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:11 am

Thank you Jim - very useful. I take it you use that to adjust your Aimpoint H1 on a regular basis.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:20 am

https://www.aimpoint.com/products/spare-parts-and-batteries/aimpoint-tool

Typically $12 at Amazon, Midway and the usual sources.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:30 am

Yeah Steve, I still have the original from the box the sight came in. I'm still left with either leaving the covers off all the time (this is my next step BTW) which I don't really like doing, or fiddling with them during a match - causing me to lose focus because I'm clumsy with fat fingers. Also the 'clicks' are, for me at least, not easy to detect. Doable, yes, but I'd prefer a visual reference point.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:05 pm

I agree that the clicks are not as solid as I would like in a $500+ scope.

I take the cap off at the beginning of the match when I adjust for 50 yards and place it in my box. I usually remember to put it back on when I come back down for 25 yards, but not always. The only time you really need the cap in place is in the rain as the o-ring at the bottom of the turret seals out the water.

I don't feel the need to mark my zeros, but if it bothers you, you should mark them. That's one less thing to worry about. I would leave the caps off all the time unless it's raining, color one of the prong holes with a Sharpy and put a dot next to it on the scope housing. For temporary marks (days or weeks) I use a Sharpy or white correcting pen. For permanent marks (months or years) I use either Paint Pens or Testors model paint.

White correcting pen

Testors Paint

I don't know of any better solution.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:59 pm

straybrit wrote:Thank you Jim - very useful. I take it you use that to adjust your Aimpoint H1 on a regular basis.

Tongue in cheek

Just grind away what interferes. I thought it was the same as the 9000 sc, guess not.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:32 pm

>Tongue in cheek

I thought so. Which is why the original reply of "now I see where the PPC guys get all their accuracy from" got replaced  Adjusting Aimpoint H1 1f600 

It's just a minor niggle but it really surfaced yesterday when it was way too hot and dehydration was taking hold despite being on my second gallon of water.  Taking off the cover, turning it back to front to engage the adjustment holes, dropping it on the bench then picking it up off the floor, recovering it and finally adjusting the sight bugged me far more than it should have. My 45 scores were sucking as it was - this just made the following target worse.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pm

Interesting. I have to admit that I took off the caps when I installed the sights and keep them in an "Aimpoint Parts" box at home. Didn't think about the rain. Hmmm.

I keep one of those red plastic tools handy in my range box.

But with 45 I have adopted loads for long and short lines that pretty much eliminate the need to make elevation adjustments. Much more convenient solution. Although tweaking windage/elevation for unusual prevailing conditions may be unavoidable.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:42 pm

See eBay item number:294316432710 and pictures below.
Adjusting Aimpoint H1 Tool4a10
Adjusting Aimpoint H1 Tool4a11
Adjusting Aimpoint H1 Bitset10
I think it is #10 or whatever.  Might need a little bit Dremel filing.  And Craftsman magnetic bit holder.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:15 pm

I used the spacer rods in my gun box. Drilled small pilot holes at proper spacing, then inserted cut off nails to use use as adjustment devices, This way I always have them in my gun gun box. What a lame idea Aimpoint had on those dimple adjustment caps.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Vociferous Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:32 am

RoyDean wrote:Interesting. I have to admit that I took off the caps when I installed the sights and keep them in an "Aimpoint Parts" box at home. Didn't think about the rain. Hmmm.

I keep one of those red plastic tools handy in my range box.

But with 45 I have adopted loads for long and short lines that pretty much eliminate the need to make elevation adjustments. Much more convenient solution. Although tweaking windage/elevation for unusual prevailing conditions may be unavoidable.
Interesting.  I'm currently using 3.8 grns of N310 for 50 and 25 with 185 SWCHP.  My H2 needs 10 clicks.  Care to share what your loads are?  Must be a pretty big difference.  PC
Vociferous
Vociferous

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:38 am

I use Nosler or Zero 185jhp with 4.3 n310 at 50. Brazos 180lswc over 3.8 n310 at 25 (but that can be temp sensitive - might need a bit more or different powder in colder weather). No change to recoil spring needed in my gun. POA n POI usually almost identical with my wad gun.

As always. YMMV.

RoyDean

Vociferous likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:31 am

I use Nosler or Zero 185jhp with 4.3 n310 at 50. Brazos 180lswc over 3.8 n310 at 25 (but that can be temp sensitive - might need a bit more or different powder in colder weather). No change to recoil spring needed in my gun. POA n POI usually almost identical with my wad gun.

As always. YMMV.

RoyDean

Vociferous likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down