Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dot Size?

+10
Pac918
fc60
chiz1180
Wobbley
kjanracing
SteveT
Jon Eulette
Vociferous
james r chapman
knightimac
14 posters

Go down

Dot Size?  Empty Dot Size?

Post by knightimac Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi.

I have an adjustable dot on one of my backup pistols with ranges from 2moa up to 8 moa?

What size do you prefer?  I currently use the old school 4 moa Ultra Dots.  I try and keep the dot within the black as I'm squeezing the trigger.

Does anybody prefer the larger size dot?  How do you utilize the dot when aligning onto the target?  Do you try and cover the black for example.

Thanks for your responses.

Paul

Dot Size?  1844-16
knightimac
NRA Classification : Marksman

Dot Size?  I_icon_profile Dot Size?  I_icon_pm
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Dot Size?  Empty Re: Dot Size?

Post by james r chapman Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:26 pm

2mm in both Holosun and Aimpoint

Focusing on target seeing thru the dot, it goes where your focused on, eventually
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

knightimac and Fotomaniac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Vociferous Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:54 pm

I like the small dot.  Yes, it moves a lot, but it helps me more accurately call the shot. cyclops
Vociferous
Vociferous

knightimac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:13 pm

I think only really “hard” holders can shoot a 4moa dot. If your hold isn’t as hood you will suffer on your continuous trigger squeeze and be intermittent with a snatched forced shot. You will struggle to break clean shots because you will visually battle your sight picture. Your brain will not accept the lack of hold and you will not be able to accept your hold as well as you can with a 2moa dot. I recently shot a 4moa dot at 50 yds and really struggled breaking my shots; hold isn’t what it used to be. I recommend smaller.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:22 pm

My experience is the opposite of Jon's (he's a HM, I'm not so that says something). I find it harder to break the shot with a small dot because I can see exactly where it is in the black and tend to jerk the trigger when the sight picture is perfect. A bigger dot sort of hovers over the black and I don't see the difference between perfectly centered and near enough to the center so it's easier to accept my hold and pull the trigger.

Like so many things, Try it and do what works for you.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:42 pm

I shoot a 4 on  the .22 and 6 on the .45.  I’ll get too hung up on chasing a smaller dot on the .45. A few matches back I was beside Nick Mower and checked out his .45. The dot was maybe an 8, it took up most of the black at 50 yards. He shoots Master scores so…
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:34 pm

The key to shooting a large dot (or small dot) is to adopt “area aiming”.  If the big dot is inside the black (for me) the shot will be a good shot provided the triggef and other techniques are sound.  Center inside and dot overlapping edge of black, not so much.  The dot will have a time when it begins to roam around the black inside the black.  Shoot then.  The same really with the smaller dots, but this time I’m looking at the visualization of the scoring rings on the target.  I can’t see them, but I can visualize them.  So here, the dot should be inside the visualized 9 ring (for me) at 50 or 9.5 ring at 25.  More often than not I get 10s; seldom is it out of the black unless a technique was faulty.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

knightimac and Thin Man like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:41 pm

2moa, Look at the target not the dot. Focus on the x in the center.

I do have a 4moa on one of my 22s, takes a moment to get used to the bigger dot but I can make it work if I need to
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:44 pm

Greetings,

Back when I was shooting a "Dot", my favorite was the AimPoint 5000 MagDot. It is a 10 minute dot.

If the dot was anywhere in the black, you had a ten.

I had it mounted on a 625 45 ACP revolver and managed to shoot 860's on a good day.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Pac918 Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:31 am

I can recommend the 6 MOA Aimpoint H2 if one is prone to dot flare from a (slight in my case) astigmatism. I recently switched to the 6 MOA and was amazed at how perfectly round that dot became. The trade off is size: in brighter light especially, you may have to increase the illumination to a point where the dot covers more of the black, particularly at the long line, than you might prefer. I got used to that and found that having a dot that stayed extremely well-defined was worth it. Good luck!

Pac918

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:06 am

I'm with Dave on the big dot.  I use 8 moa.  If the shot breaks with the dot anywhere in the black at 25 or 50 yds you get a 10 or better.  Seems to reduce my tendency to "pick them off".
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:12 am

Since we're doscussing dot size...

How do sot sizes compare between Aimpoint and  Ultradot? Does the 4MOA Aimpoint look equal in size to the Ultradot 4 MOA dot?

I ask because I am looking at Aimpoints and have never looked through one. 

I have a Sightron and it states it is a 5 MOA dot but looks about like a 2 MOA Ultradot size. so I'm not making any assumptions as to apparent/claimed dot size...

Thanks!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pac918 Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:36 am

I’m not sure how those Aimpoint and Ultradots would compare because I’ve never had a 4 MOA Aimpoint. But if you find one available, please buy it and I’d be happy to acquire it from you (with reasonable profit for your efforts) if you don’t like it!

Pac918

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:54 am

To my eyes Aimpoint dots are smaller than Ultradot dots. I see the AP 4MOA dot only slightly larger than an UD 2MOA dot and much smaller than UD 4MOA. This is consistent across 2 AP Micro's and 3 UD Matchdot's.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:54 pm

Thank you Steve!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:38 pm

When I was younger and shot good I liked the dot big.  Seemed that I tried too hard shoot to Xs with the small dot.  Just tried to keep the big dot in the black and all was well.  Now 35 years older I think I like the small dot.  Shooting average is 100 points lower...  That really should tell me something but......  Smile

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:23 am

I have always used a 12 moa dot thinking the bigger dot shows less movement and it makes it easier to keep the trigger coming.  I tend to get chicken finger with smaller dots.  To each, his own.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down