Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grand Senior Shooting

+9
CR10X
GME
chopper
TonyH
BUDRICKETT@GMAIL.COM
hg401
Vociferous
fc60
Axehandle
13 posters

Go down

Grand Senior Shooting Empty Grand Senior Shooting

Post by Axehandle 10/11/2021, 1:49 pm

Shooting Sports USA | NRA 2018 Rule Changes

New Rule: Under Rule 17.5 add Rule 2.2.2 defining new category: “Grand Senior” Definition: A person may compete as a Grand Senior beginning on 01/01 of the calendar year in which their seventieth (70th) birthday occurs. This will conform with other shooting disciplines.”

01/01/2022 will be the date for me.  I WILL shoot at least one match in 2022.  Started preparation last month.  For this 70 year old guy a 2700 is much more of an endurance thing than I ever thought it was at 35.  Shot a few matches in my early 60s.  Learned early on to shoot slow fire as timed fire.  If I shot true slow fire my first and second targets might not be too bad but it went down hill quickly after that.  Accordingly I learned to shoot a timed fire cadence so long as the sights return smoothly to the target after every shot. 

To prepare I'm shooting a couple of hundred round sessions each week.  Range is only 25 yards but I learned years ago that on the 25 yard slow fire target, other than fewer Xs, the scores are virtually the same.

Doing light weight training too..  Not to build strength (you old guys know we can't anyway)  but mostly to maintain what I have.  When I was shooting my best I was 35 years old.  I benched 350 for my 35th birthday.   Nowhere near that today but once again the idea is to maintain what I have.   Ordered 500 25 yard slow fire targets yesterday.

Helps that I am the range manager for a local indoor range.  Lots of shooting time.  Nice Dillon 1050 to make ammo.  Zero is close and Terry Labbe (Magnus Bullet Company) is a shooting buddy.   When I quantify where I am I'll share some numbers. Smile

Last edited by Axehandle on 10/11/2021, 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Axehandle

john bickar, knightimac, SingleActionAndrew and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Grand Senior Shooting Empty Re: Grand Senior Shooting

Post by fc60 10/11/2021, 2:22 pm

Greetings,

On 01/01/2022 I will join you in the Grand Geezer category.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Jon Eulette likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Vociferous 10/11/2021, 2:50 pm

Good Lord, I pray I can shoot at 70.  More power to 'ya.
Vociferous
Vociferous

Bob Fleming likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 10/11/2021, 7:51 pm

Vociferous wrote:Good Lord, I pray I can shoot at 70.  More power to 'ya.

Shooting at 70 is easy.  Shooting well?  I'll let you know if that happens.

hg401

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BUDRICKETT@GMAIL.COM 10/12/2021, 8:00 am

Happy to hear about the new Grand Senior category. 
Next season I will be 80. 
I picked up my first pistol 2 years ago, and I'm still figuring things out. 

My Victory .22 is great. I can shoot Sharpshooter

My M&P 9MM is confused about what I want it to do. 
I"m in the process of finding the right load for it. So far, benched, the group spread is from 2' to 7" at 25 yards.  The trigger load is 5.5 lbs, and i think that is part of the problem. 

My Colt .45 front sight won't stay on.  I  the old iron sights replaced  with fiber optics.  The gunsmith didn't know to stake it, and I've lost 3 this year.   Just got it back. 

I have a question.  Within the Grand Senior class, is there also a division for those with optics, and those of us who are old school iron sights?

BUDRICKETT@GMAIL.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 10/12/2021, 8:46 am

Within the Grand Senior class, is there also a division for those with optics, and those of us who are old school iron sights?
Yes. One can compete in either the NRA Open Division or the Metallic Division as long as one meets the eligibility requirements per Section 2 of the rule book. "Grand Senior" is an eligibility requirement, not a classification, per se.
TonyH
TonyH

Allgoodhits likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 10/12/2021, 8:47 am

I'll be 70 in February 2022, do I have to shoot in the Grand Senior class?
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 10/12/2021, 9:11 am

The preamble of the NRA Rulebook, Section 2 states:
"Eligibility and Categories of Competitors. The conditions of a match shall prescribe the eligibility and categories of competitors, team or individuals, in accordance with Rule 1.6 and/or the definitions contained in Section 2. Any limitations of eligibility to compete must be stated in the Match Program."

Grand Senior is defined as:
"2.2.2 Grand Senior - A person may compete as a Grand Senior beginning on January 1, of the calendar year in which his or her 70th birthday occurs."

In my experience, it's always advisable to look in the appropriate rulebook for answers to questions, as sometimes (often?) the answers you get are not necessarily accurate.
The NRA Rulebook may be downloaded here:
http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf
TonyH
TonyH

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GME 10/12/2021, 10:17 pm

I'm by no means an expert in what the NRA rules contemplate, but the word, "may" is considered permissive (as in optional), not mandatory.  So, one can compete as a grand senior s/he wants to, but is not required to do so (assuming there are enough grand senior competitors).  

The only reason I can come up with for having the separate classification is to have another opportunity to win an award.  Not a bad thing, especially given that our shooting ability will inevitably diminish over time, and awards will be ever harder to come by.  On the other hand, given the age of shooters I've been seeing, it may not matter.  I have no empirical evidence, but it seems to me the average age of bullseye shooters is going up.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 10/13/2021, 5:54 am

Only 5 more years and I'll be there.    Shocked

Yes, the competitor can exercise the option to participate in a Special Category or not.  

In addition, it is not mandatory that a match provide for awards for Category or Special Awards.  Basically if it ain't listed in the program, then the option does not exist for that tournament.  

2.1.2 Categories and Special Awards - If there are a sufficient number of competitors of a specific group (i.e., Women, Juniors, Service, etc.), a match sponsor may, at his discretion, establish a separate category for this group and make classification awards within this category, such as 1st Master Service, 3rd Sharpshooter Civilian, and so on. However, if there are insufficient entries of a specific group to warrant such a separation, and if the sponsor still wishes to provide recognition to this specific group, he may provide an overall Special Award such as High Woman, High Junior, etc., and all competitors in this specific group would be eligible for this one Special Award. Details concerning categories and special awards must be clearly outlined in the tournament program.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Grand Senior Shooting Empty Grand seniors competing

Post by Old-un 10/13/2021, 10:34 am

I am 82 and miss not being able to compete on a regular basis. I did attend the Bullseye national matches at Camp Perry this year and was assigned range 4 which would seem for us olduns the closest range HOWEVER after loading my geezer cart with equipment I found the trip from the parking lot to the range benches to be a true obstacle course the shooting mounds and water ways plus the  very tall grass expended all of my energy before I could shoot. I did complete the 22 prelimpnary  (not very well) but that was all I could muster so I waded and climbed back to the parking lot, then withdrew from further competition.  I have attended these matches for over 60 years and am embarrassed that I couldn't cut it this time. I don't know if I will be able to continue, am getting catarct surgery shortly so hopefully I can see better. I walk a mile or two every day and  do some arm and shoulder lifting trying to stay in shape.  I am still listed a master but can barely shoot sharpshooter scores in practice though I am slowly improving after many health issues..   So there is still some fire in the furnace but the wheels seem to be running on flat tires.  Hope to see you on the line somewhere!  I did go to Atterbury to look around. That (NRA) range is a bit more assessable but had many issues for olduns (handicapped) as well?  Maybe air guns would be a better fit, but my nose is more attuned to powder burning. Yeah I know and don't see an electric car in MY future either! Sorry about the long post... PRMc

Old-un

Motophotog7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 11/25/2021, 2:06 pm

Flash forward to 11/25/21.  Shooting two 900s a week on separate days.  One 45 and one 22.  Scores running 840-865.  May be creeping up.   X count best has improved from about 20 to low 30s.  Hitting the weights 3 times a week with bench press, military press, curls, lateral raises, and front raises.  Barbell for bench, dumbbells for everything else. Weigh utilized based on whatever I can to 5-10 reps and 3 sets.  Strength is slowly creeping up.

Plan to stay on path until 1/1/22.  At that point I plan to shoot two 900s back to back each week.  In my plan to shoot a match having the endurance to shoot two competent 900s back to back will be the big hurdle.  Hoping the lunch break will give me enough recovery time for the third 900..

Axehandle

Jwhelan939 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 11/25/2021, 4:06 pm

Old-un, maybe look for more old-un compatible ranges like Bristol, Ind and Cardinal Center, Ohio

Park closer, move box less.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 11/25/2021, 5:56 pm

Axehandle, I'd recommend changing the weights to a level that you can complete 15 reps for 3 sets rather than just 5 - 10 reps. Less potential for stressing or tearing muscles. I learned the hard way for me. And don't forget the planks.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/25/2021, 6:38 pm

I felt old when I crawled out of bed this morning until I read this post 😁
I just discovered I'm not that old lol.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 11/25/2021, 7:51 pm

Old is a state of mind...  Smile  Failed to mention that I had an Axillary Lymph Node Dissection on both sides in 1992.   I have a smiley face scar with a cross below on both sides.  Yes, I know what a Jackson Pratt drain is..  Smile   Didn't shoot quite as well after that but did make the All Guard International Combat Team that same year and the Pistol team in '95... Remember the doctor saying that there would be things that I'd never be able to do again.  Now virtually 30 years later I can say that I haven't found anything that I can't do that I could do before except.....  Haven't broken 2600 since then..

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by bmize1 11/25/2021, 10:38 pm

Look forward to seeing you again Axehandle.
Glad to hear your working to keep your strength up.
You are the reason I started this game…….
We start back in March, 3rd Saturday every month through Oct.

bmize1

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 11/28/2021, 6:11 am

Been a member of that gun club since the 70s.  March gives me 3 months to get ready!  May have just enough primers to make it!  Shot my first cold weather 900 on Friday. Slow fire is killing me!

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 12/13/2021, 5:30 pm

Running average, highs, lows and best to date after 17 900s.  Mix of 22 and 45.  Still weight training.  Strength improving.  Currently tired after one 900.  After January first I'll do two 900s back to back..

AVG84023
High Score864 
High X30 
Low Score813 
Low X11 

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 12/31/2021, 8:37 pm

12/31/21 Update 
Running average, highs, lows and best to date.  Mix of 22 and 45.  Still weight training.  Strength improving.  Current high with a 22 is 864-23X.  Current high with a 45 is 859-31.  Next week I'll do a 22 900 and 45 900 back to back..

AVG84224
High Score864 
High X31 
Low Score813 
Low X11 

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 1/1/2022, 7:27 am

January 1, 2022...  I AM a grand senior. Smile

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 1/5/2022, 5:27 pm

1/5/22 
Shot a 22 900 and a 45 900 back to back....  864 with the 22.  839 with the 45.  Makes for a 94.6 average.  Range was cold for me. High 40s but still cold for me.  Had it been a match I'd have stayed home.

Axehandle

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 1/12/2022, 5:21 pm

1/12/22 
Shot a 22 900 and a 45 900 back to back....   854-34 with the 22.  839-24 with the 45.  Makes for a 94.1 average.  Best 900 X count to date.  Tired at the end.  The rest of the week will be dry firing.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down