Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone get a new Python?

+15
RevolverGuy38
Wes Lorenz
71firebird400
Beecherkid
shanneba
mikemyers
AZ10X
inthebeech
RoyDean
john bickar
kjanracing
Allgoodhits
Wobbley
PhotoEscape
zanemoseley
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anyone get a new Python? - Page 2 Empty Anyone get a new Python?

Post by zanemoseley 10/31/2021, 8:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm curious if anyone has ponied up the cash for a new Python yet to test out. The prices are dropping to where you can almost get one for MSRP. I thought of getting one polished by Patriot Polishing as a bit of a show piece but would shoot it occasionally.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Anyone get a new Python? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone get a new Python?

Post by PhotoEscape 11/25/2021, 9:17 pm

zanemoseley wrote:Well I won one off GB for $10 over MSRP, much better that before when they were going for hundreds over. Will be going straight to Mike at Hefron Precision, been emailing him and he's seeing real good results from 148hbwc in the new Pythons and if you're not worried about magnum primers it lets him go even lighter on the pull, down to 2.25#SA.

Also thinking of getting it polished, I love a shiny Python. Won't make keeping clean as much fun but will make for some sweet gun safe bling.
What is turn around time?

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 11/25/2021, 9:45 pm

He's gonna get mine through the week of Dec 19th.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 11/25/2021, 9:50 pm

Please post results and delivery information.  If he indeed can deliver on timely manner and results as promised, I'd be interested to have same done on both of mine.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 11/25/2021, 9:55 pm

He doesn't polish so that will be a separate trip if I decide to get it done.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 11/27/2021, 12:58 pm

AP, so he's got me down for the week of Dec 19th, so under a month lead to get a date, he said 2-4 week turnaround once he has in hand.

Spoke with him today on the phone to give a deposit, thought it was gonna be a 5 minute call, 50 minutes later I knew a lot more about him and the pistols. He's very impressed with the production of these new pistols especially after an action job. The new MIM parts are hardened all the way through, apparently Pratt and Whitney developed the process and patented it. They only make parts on contract, they do not sell the technology to make your own, so the MIM Python parts are made by P&W. If it weren't for the crazy drop tests they have to pass they could have likely done a much better SA pull from the factory.

Will post more results when it's done.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 11/27/2021, 8:50 pm

zanemoseley wrote:Been doing some reading about the new pythons. The first batch so to speak came with a lighter mainspring which had a nicer SA pull but resulted in complaints regarding light strikes and some other issues, they've since gone to a heavier spring which is part of the issue with the crappy SA pull but fixed the strike issues. They also put a very conservative sear geometry on these pistols to pass CA drop tests, people report the hammer cams backward very noticeably before releasing so damn near almost like half a DA pull. There were also issues with the side plates getting a bit loose which would have them jam up, easy fix with loctite.

Sounds like Mike from Hefron Precision has the best action job going. If I bought one it would go straight there as well as possibly a professional polish job. Everything else sounds pretty on point with them but you can get $2+ in one in a hurry if you tune them. Here's some info from Mike off another board.

When I execute our PRECISION ACTION & TRIGGER TUNING© on any revolver, we have fixtures to keep the honing and polishing square. The single-action sear does require a change of geometry to acquire a crisp 3lb pull. A jig is used to arrive at the starting point, but the finishing touches are more or less done by feel. While these revolvers are certainly more simple than the old ones, they still are not "Ruger-Easy" or "Smith & Wesson-Easy". They still offer a certain set of complexities due to the V mainspring, the rebound lever, and the "Bank Vault Lockup". Incorrect sear profiling will result in the revolver being out of time.

Our tuned NEW Pythons have a crisp SA pull of 2.75-3.25 lbs, a slick-cycle 8.75-9.0 lbs DA pull, and a very quick trigger return. Rapid DA firing is much easier once the tuning is complete. During cocking the action or during DA firing OR during the trigger return cycle you will not encounter a single "rough spot". The revolver's function in its entirety is slippery-smooth. Even though Colt does polish key parts within the action, our tuning reduces the mechanism's overall friction by a significant extent.

We did not arrive at this point by accident. When the NEW Python was introduced we acquired one and went to work creating a specific set of tuning techniques for it. I personally tune the revolvers. I have tuned and repaired Colt Double-Action revolvers for over 30 years. I will be honest here, when it comes to that work I have a specific way that I want it done. I am a control freak/micro-manager so it's best if I do it. My guys do the machine-work. I stay at the bench. No gun will leave here until it's something I would own myself. That's the best response I can provide.

I have developed a specific method of profiling the mainspring. I built tooling to do so. When a Python is tuned here, it will have the trigger pulls I mentioned AND it will smack the crap out of a magnum primer! Lightening springs is NOT an option as I see it. We are approaching 200 tuned NEW Pythons. I am happy to say that we have the best NEW Python Action and Trigger Tuning on the market.
My brother has his new as-yet unfired Python 4".  If he wants to send it to Mike, is it still correct that my brother works things out with Mike ahead of time, then at the appropriate time he boxes up his Python and goes to a Federal Express office, and ships it as a "firearm, overnight shipping" for around $100.  Presumably after it is repaired, they would send it directly back to him, or does it go to an FFL dealer, where he would go to pick it up?  

I tried to explain all this to my brother earlier today, but I haven't done this in years, and maybe things have changed.

As a side question, are there any issues my brother should check out before he sends the gun to Mike?  He has never fired the gun, and I've read about issues that Colt repaired under warranty.  Any things in particular my brother should check out?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 11/27/2021, 9:29 pm

Just contact Mike. Yes Colt will likely not warranty the pistol afterwards but Mike will go through it thoroughly. Lots of gunsmiths will just recommend sending 2-3 day Fedex with adult signature required declared as machined parts, their overnight policy is more of a company policy versus law, some would call it a cash grab.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 12/2/2021, 6:23 pm

Picked up the pistol Tuesday.so So far it's looking great.

I'm impressed with the finish, some pictures make it look kind of shitty but really does come across as a light polish, enough to look good but not be too much of a magnet for prints and streaks. I was prepared to send off to be professionally polished if needed. May polish one day if it ever becomes a safe queen as the subject of discussion over a six pack. I hear there may never be a blued one and if there was it probably won't be as nice as the old Colt royal blue. If you could blue SS I would send mine off for a polish and blue. Other SS darken processes are kind of dicey and not necessarily shiny like you'd want. Mike said black chrome may be promising but couldn't find out enough about it to roll the dice screwing up a nice finish.

Machining that I could see looked very nice, could see CNC mill marks but very even. Seen old revolvers of all make that had inside surfaces that looked like a chainsaw got on the loose. The MIM parts by Pratt and Whitney with improved hardness are making me feel a bit better. Saw a guy on the Colt forum break an internal part after thousands of 357 mag loads. You'll always find a part break here or there, I've had an extractor nose break clean off on a 1911 mid match, shit happens tool steel or MIM.

Best I could see the mostly mint 70-80's 6" python with box still get around $2500 on GB. Some reproduction parts like the hands and bolts are now being made but still ends up feeling like you're buying a gun that a portion of the value is from its collectibility and feel bad shooting too much. One day I wouldn't mind having an old 6" blue for nostalgia and investment value.

Will report back after the action job and shooting some.

zanemoseley

Slamfire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 12/23/2021, 8:13 am

zanemoseley wrote:.......  Will report back after the action job and shooting some.
Any update?  How many weeks does he need to update the gun?  Did you measure the final trigger pull after the work was done?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 12/23/2021, 9:57 am

Its there now, I was scheduled for this week. Should have back by the new year I would imagine.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Beecherkid 1/25/2022, 9:26 am

Have you heard anything from Mike Heffron regarding the return of your Python?

Beecherkid

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 1/25/2022, 9:54 am

I emailed him a week or two ago. Its been the holidays then he also go COVID so he's running behind. I'm guessing it will be done anytime now. I'll report back.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/25/2022, 10:03 am

Sorry to hear all that, but glad he's going to be OK.

I'm glad I bought the older Python, but were I together a new one, I would send it to him.  The. trigger pull in the new ones is not very enjoyable - at least compared with the old guns.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Beecherkid 1/25/2022, 11:11 am

I wish you the best, but I've heard "the dog ate my homework" stories about him in the past. Again, I wish you the best.

Beecherkid

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 1/31/2022, 8:38 am

Got a call from Mike today, the Python is finished and will be shipped today. He said all factory parts were in spec so no need to fix anything other than the action job. Think he said it was about 2.5# and 7.5-8#, I'll test with my trigger gauge when I get back and report back.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech 2/2/2022, 6:41 am

Do you have a RR?  This is what the world wants to see.  You’d be the first owner in this unfolding epic to have rested the gun at fifty yards and either opened up the floodgates (two inch groups) or let a huge volume of air out of the lungs of thousands who will sulk back to our K frames. My 14-3 easily does 3 1/4 inch with the Zero 158 round nose, so unless the Python cuts this about in half, I’m passing.  But a sub two inch group would very likely push me to buy my first high chromium gun.  Let us know please.
inthebeech
inthebeech

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/2/2022, 9:46 am

There's been plenty of reports of accuracy being the same as the old ones. I do have a RR but no python inserts or time to screw with it at the moment. The pistol should deliver today.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by 71firebird400 2/2/2022, 10:21 am

Python accuracy has never been in question, nor has S&W. Sure a Model 14 can do the job, but it'll never be as cool as the Colt  Cool

71firebird400

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/2/2022, 10:50 am

My new 14-4 full lug with combat grips is pretty bad ass looking but there's definitely something special about a python with vented rib.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Beecherkid 2/2/2022, 1:06 pm

If that was my Python, I'd be happy to just have it back from the shop without having to claw tooth and nail. A bad reputation is hard to recover from. I hope it performs as you expected.

Beecherkid

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/2/2022, 1:24 pm

1.5 month turnaround is nothing. Let's just say I've waited a LOT longer for custom pistols. Pretty sure Mike does every action job himself and has done hundreds of them. The package was delivered today, will report back later with results.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/2/2022, 6:36 pm

Ok unboxed the Python and am not disappointed in the least, Mike did a killer job, the action is butter smooth. Now has a soft crisp SA at 2.75# and gorgeous DA at 8.25#, they're so smooth it feels like less. The entire action is just slicked up perfectly, I've owned a couple older pre-lock SW revolvers and currently have a 14-4 full lug, the Python now makes the SW double action seem even worse lol, the SW has great SA but still not as good as the Colt. I did get the 38sp trigger job so not guaranteed to be reliable with mags bit didn't plan to shoot any. If you've got a new Python I almost feel like its mandatory to get this trigger job especially how heavy they have the SA set from the factory to pass drop tests.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/2/2022, 7:37 pm

So is an action job like this legal for distinguished? No new parts, just tuning factory parts. Would make a way better revolver for the task than my 14-4.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by 71firebird400 2/3/2022, 10:20 am

Great to here. Finding a gunsmith for a Python (new or old) is tough.

71firebird400

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 2/3/2022, 5:15 pm

zanemoseley wrote: I do have a RR but no python inserts or time to screw with it at the moment. The pistol should deliver today.
If you RR it, make sure to try both Round nose and SWC bullets. Sometimes a revolver prefers one over the other.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next