Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommendation for 45 acp reloading dies

+7
zanemoseley
rkittine
SingleActionAndrew
desben
Blsi2600
Jack H
Nopro
11 posters

Go down

Recommendation for 45 acp reloading dies Empty Recommendation for 45 acp reloading dies

Post by Nopro 11/12/2021, 2:58 am

Anyone have a recommendation for 45 acp reloading dies? What are you using to load your match ammo?

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Recommendation for 45 acp reloading dies Empty Re: Recommendation for 45 acp reloading dies

Post by Jack H 11/12/2021, 4:03 am

If loading lead bullets, I used Dillon seat and crimp for their take apart and clean feature. 
Other than that, any name brand can load 45 for bullseye.  I lean toward Redding mostly.  But my favorite jacket 45 crimper is an old  RCBS TC-seater without the seater.
Convenience of features might be more important depending on your press setup.  Mine is the Dillon 550
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Recommendation for 45 acp reloading dies Empty Re: Recommendation for 45 acp reloading dies

Post by Blsi2600 11/12/2021, 6:02 am

What kind of press are you loading on?

Blsi2600

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 11/12/2021, 6:18 am

For what it's worth, I use Lee Deluxe carbide 4-die sets for all my pistol reloading and that works for me. I never tried dies from other manufacturers; never felt the need to.
desben
desben

Edcnh, James Hensler and Foundryratjim like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 11/12/2021, 8:29 am

I could tell you what I use ... I'm one of those guys who should spend more time shooting and less tinkering.

Redding dual ring carbide sizer - I switched from Lee carbide to this.
Dillon powder through die with Photoescape powder funnel expander
Hornady powder cop
Redding competition seater micrometer die (JHP), Dillon seater die (SWC)
Dillon taper crimp die

Good stuff, very reliable and consistent, always gauges and no uneven bulges. I stopped getting most uneven flash marks on the cases after I switched to the high dollar redding sizer. I love the micrometer on the seating die - I use a few different JHP bullets and just dial to the settings I have in my journal. I also spray a little Hornady one shot case lube on the cases before I start, which cuts out most of the case sticking on the expander.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Steve B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rkittine 11/12/2021, 8:33 am

Other than on my Dillon or Star Presses, I use 4 Die LEE sets for all my other pistol cartridges. Not for Rifles though.

Bob
rkittine
rkittine

Edcnh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 11/12/2021, 9:41 am

I love the Dillon dies, makes good ammo and super easy to clean they way they come apart.

zanemoseley

BE Mike and Plunker like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nopro 11/12/2021, 4:04 pm

I have been using a Lee Classic Turret Press and Lee dies for 38 special & 45/70 with no problems. But, when I started
researching "best dies" online I found one report that claimed that Lee dies were a great value but "not the most accurate".
The author did not elaborate on why he felt that way. Who would know more about accurate 45 acp ammo than bullseye shooters? So I thought I'd ask my question here. So,all you master class shooters out there what should I buy

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 11/12/2021, 5:22 pm

The only "problem" I have with lee dies is the pseudo floating lock ring. If you really cared you could get a regular lock ring and o-ring.  But I never bothered and I don't think the stock setup is holding me back.

There was an amu article about setting up dies.  Short version as I recall is #1 you bump something flat against the die face with the ram so the die is aligned while you set the lock ring, and #2 an o-ring under the lock ring was supposed to let it float some too so it centers on the brass.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy 11/12/2021, 5:53 pm

dillon SD setup for 45acp with photoescape PTU and home made seater  for WC's

Deerspy

rburk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk 11/12/2021, 7:31 pm

What Deerspy said, exactly what I use for 45.  I also use the seater from Uniquetek for LSWC bullets.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 11/12/2021, 7:45 pm

I load 45 on a dedicated 1050.

Redding Dual ring sizing die
Mr bullet feeder expander/Dillon drop with arendando(sp?)
Mr bullet feeder mini
Redding competition seater die
Redding micro adjust taper crimp die

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 11/13/2021, 12:30 am

Merick wrote:The only "problem" I have with lee dies is the pseudo floating lock ring. If you really cared you could get a regular lock ring and o-ring.  But I never bothered and I don't think the stock setup is holding me back.

My rings of choice (have all the big names) are the Lee "Ultimate" lock rings. They have both the clamp screw as well as o-ring. Same goofy plastic wrench but the wrench works from most all sides of the ring.

Recommendation for 45 acp reloading dies 90566
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down