Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1911 frame front strap shape

+3
willnewton
chiz1180
mhayford45
7 posters

Go down

1911 frame front strap shape  Empty 1911 frame front strap shape

Post by mhayford45 1/11/2022, 11:19 am

I have been thinking about the round shape of the 1911 frame front strap and wondering why it is rounded verses having a flat or flatter shape to fit nicely the middle section of our fingers. The round shape seems to make it more difficult to keep pressure straight back as it is rounded and recoil control would seem to be better if the shape would be flat. I am considering building a flat module to fit over the round shape and test this. I was wondering what the 1911 gurus think about this.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

1911 frame front strap shape  Empty Re: 1911 frame front strap shape

Post by chiz1180 1/11/2022, 11:39 am

Different frames can have different front strap profiles. The STI frame I have is more flat radius than the Springfield or Colt frames I have.  I have not noticed any real difference from a grip/control perspective.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 1/12/2022, 7:13 am

I made a 3d printed front grip piece for a Ruger 22/45 years ago when I was thinking about the same thing, but I ended up just making a full ergonomic grip.  

I tried several double stack 1911s as well, and several makes of ergonomic 1911 grip, but ended up with a GT45.  

It was not front strap  “flatness”, but width that helped in my case.  

My messing about showed me that you can flatten it out, but for me it was the relation of my hand to the back strap and palm side that made more difference.  I just needed a bigger grip all around.

You can try non-permanent solutions like Sugru.  https://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Moldable-Glue-Original-Formula/dp/B007VXJM58
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 1/12/2022, 9:47 am

Will, had not heard of Sugru before - just what I need. Thanks.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 1/12/2022, 10:27 am

@willnewton

Thanks for the feedback, I tried shooting with the widest grips I could find. Hogue G10 extrawides. This did not help as my overall hand is not large, it is narrow and long. The frame feels like there is not enough volume from front to back with my long fingers and overall hand length.  When the shot brakes and during recoil my hand extends and my grip becomes inconsistent. I think if I add some flat volume from front to back on the front strap and allow my hand length to fit then I might be more consistent.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/12/2022, 11:50 am

And that turned me to Nill grips. I also have narrow (M), but slightly longer (between M and L) hand. They have good volume up front where fingers and palm meet. Adjustable palm shelf model 23 is also in between M and L, making it exact fit. Rinks M are great in all regards except filling in the space between fingers and palm. There were some metal grips offered on fleabay that were wider up front and narrowed to the back, but they went for too much. I should have kept the screenshot and replicated.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 1/12/2022, 3:05 pm

Nill grips were also my favorite of 1911 and double stack/2011 tryouts.  I still have a set on one of my 1911s.

The boxiness and grip angle of GT45 make it my favorite in the hand, but this also makes it hated among many as well.

Still love my 1911s though. Like having kids you love equally, but for not exactly the same reason.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Vociferous likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HogCommander 1/13/2022, 5:57 pm

OP,
Consider a call to JEM...they have several front strap radius options to choose from for their frames. I prefer the flatter/more blocky feel of a frame with a 0.500" front strap radius.

HogCommander

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/13/2022, 6:19 pm

The old Colt frames have a larger radius under the trigger guard. Most newer frames have the higher front strap cut to get the hand higher. I’ve always preferred the Colt frames. I like how it allows me a tighter pinch of my middle finger up into the trigger guard. 
I also do not like slab grips that cover the entire side of the frame. I like the small recess/ledge to get a better grip on the corners of the front and back strap. 
I once got a pair of really nice slab grips for my HS and they covered the entire side of the frame. Feels like gripping a bat vs a pistol. They came right off! 
I also don’t wrap fingers around my grip. I place my fingers where I want them. 
MSH and grip safety can also affect the way the front strap feels. I try to stick with the same setup on my guns. Doesn’t always work, but try to use same brand parts.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down