Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X-Esse trigger guard pivot pin removal

4 posters

Go down

X-Esse trigger guard pivot pin removal Empty X-Esse trigger guard pivot pin removal

Post by -TT- Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:35 pm

I have an X-Esse on which the slide stop tab has cracked, and is now separated from the trigger guard. Found the tab rattling around in the slot.

Is there a secret to pressing out the pivot pin to remove the guard? Left to right / right to left? How much persuasion is required? If "a lot", can the pin be reused?

Looks like there was quite a gap behind the tab. Does Walther have a new part which corrects this, or will this require the bending/shimming approach? Date code on the pistol is "BD" - 2013. Pointers to any detailed info appreciated.

Thanks!
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

X-Esse trigger guard pivot pin removal Empty Re: X-Esse trigger guard pivot pin removal

Post by mspingeld Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:23 pm

Hey Tom, my eXesse is from 2014. I replaced this part. Don't remember which side the pin came out from but I was definitely able to reuse it. I got the replacement trigger guard from Larry's but I'm pretty sure it was a factory part. I do remember him telling me to gently bend the trigger guard so, when installed, the tab just makes contact with the frame. Hope this helps.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

X-Esse trigger guard pivot pin removal Empty Re: X-Esse trigger guard pivot pin removal

Post by -TT- Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:13 pm

Hi Mike!

AFAICT, all four of the pivot pin holes are chamfered more on the right, so I am guessing they go in (and out) from that side. You did have to punch it out with a hammer, right? Tap-tap-tap, or WHAM-BAM, or something in between? I've just tried tap-tap-tap so far, with minimal effect.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:44 pm

If tap-tap doesn't work, try Tap-Tap and, if that doesn't work, then TAP-TAP! Don't lose the spring!

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:51 pm

Hello -TT-,

An old gunsmithing adage....if you have pin that won't move, don't hit it harder, get a larger hammer.  It's true.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:43 pm

the basic problem with the trigger guard recoil tab is that it needs to be supported fully by the frame on the back side..repeated banging by the slide on the tab will crack it if not fully supported.. most often if you have the problem the  guard doesn't rise enough to allow the tab to fit flush there. I have filled some trigger guards on the front extension to allow them to rise up enough that the tab will hit properly.   Larry recommended putting the guard in a vise and slightly bending it together a touch so the tab would hit..bend it at your own risk...!!!   also it's a cast part with casting line running down the middle.. Gently file the tab square on the back side so full contact can be made.

honestly I've considered cutting the little front extension off to allow the guard to rise full until contact is made by the tab.. the 208/215s do not have this extension. their trigger guards use the same style of recoil stop but admittedly are much better parts..

this was a very common issue on the trailsides  but is a bit rare today with the Xesse. At one time Walther support would repair the guard for free or at least send out the part? Might be worth calling Walther USA . 

either Red Feather outfitters or Walther USA should have the part. Around $20 if memory serves
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:02 pm

Yep, the little pivot spring seems a little weak, and the front extension doesn't nestle in perfectly, plus there was quite a gap between the tab and the frame. I'll definitely aim to correct all three. The gun behaved completely normally, until I pulled the slide and the tab fell out.

Walther parts (Arkansas) is great, they offered to take it in as a warranty repair, or simply mail the guard and spring to me. Which I opted for! Great service, hope to get the parts and be back in gear soon. While I'm waiting, I'll use firmer persuasion on the pin, with the proper preparation and tool, to get things opened up and cleaned out.

It's odd that the steel tab is the final stop point for the slide. Seems an ideal spot for a hard plastic buffer instead. But mainly I guess it shows the importance of not using hot ammo in the gun (which was NOT the case here btw). Maybe time for a new recoil spring too.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down