Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AW93 Questions

+6
Fotomaniac
RoyDean
Tripscape
SteveT
mspingeld
JKR
10 posters

Go down

AW93 Questions Empty AW93 Questions

Post by JKR 1/18/2022, 7:55 am

I’ve recently taken possession of a very nice AW93 purchased by my son from a good friend of ours. My son won’t be able to pick it up for a couple weeks and would like me to set it up for a scope while it’s here.

Included with the pistol are two scope bases. The full length one sold by Champions Choice and the short one that mounts behind the ejection port. 

It appears that the long base would not allow the bolt to be removed without removing the base first. Is this correct? Does the long base cause any interference with ejection considering it spans the ejection port? 

The short base appears to me at least, to be only suitable for the little Aimpoint style scopes. Any recommendations for a less expensive dot sight than the Aimpoint that would be suitable for 22 use?

Thanks in advance. 

JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

AW93 Questions Empty Re: AW93 Questions

Post by mspingeld 1/18/2022, 8:02 am

The cheaper versions of the Aimpoint get mixed reviews but I'll leave that to others with first hand experience. Note: On mine, with the short mount and an Aimpoint with extension tubes, I have to take the dot off the mount to disassemble and clean the gun. Without the tubes, I might be able to get it off but I don't recommend using a dot without tubes. A minor inconvenience in that, after re-assembly, I have to confirm zero which may be a click or two off.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 1/18/2022, 8:25 am

I bought a Barska and a Konus to evaluate when they first appeared about 5 years ago. In my opinion they are junk and I would be suspicious of any of the Aimpoint knock-offs for less than $100.

Here is a thread I started with some discussion
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t6320-review-of-holosun-and-barska-red-dot-scopes

Here is my review of the Barska and Konus. Spoiler: they aren't good enough to sit on a precision firearm. Only use them if your budget is very tight and you are willing to accept lower quality build, sealing and optics.
https://unnecessarycomplification.wordpress.com/2016/09/28/review-barska-ac11428-red-dot-scope/

Here is my review of the Holosun. Spoiler: Not as good as an Aimpoint, but for a fraction of the price it's pretty good.
https://unnecessarycomplification.wordpress.com/2016/09/28/review-barska-ac11428-red-dot-scope/

Since then I've seen a Primary Arms on another shooters gun and it seems similar in quality to the Holosun.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/18/2022, 8:45 am

Steve, I read your review on Holosun and wanted to commend you on a wonderful, informative, well structured review! I wish more reviewers would do it the way you did.  Point by point and especially on the windsge and elevation adjustments. Awesome!!!

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 1/18/2022, 9:46 am

JKR (and Tripscape),

I am not able to provide an exhaustive review like SteveT, but the SIG Romeo 5 is also quite robust and reliable. SIG offer a no quibble guarantee.

https://www.amazon.com/Sig-Sauer-SOR52001-Romeo5-Compact/dp/B01C95I8N4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3MY867PJI5G9K&keywords=SIG+5&qid=1642519764&sprefix=sig+5%2Caps%2C500&sr=8-1

If you only need simple sun shades, then carbon fiber tube is inexpensive - I reported about it on a previous thread, and can be secured with green loctite.

Another option is to put whichever Aimpoint style red dot you choose on to a QD mount (I have some Aimpoint ones that came with the H1's I bought). They allow removal of the complete sight and mount assembly and, based on my limited testing, the zero is not disturbed.

AW93 Questions Sig_ro10

AW93 Questions Ruger_12

AW93 Questions 1_tube10

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/18/2022, 10:02 am

Sig Romeo 5 is made by Holosun as far as I know, but the warranty is much better with Sig.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 1/18/2022, 10:22 am

Thanks to all for the very useful information. 

Steve. Very nice review of the cheap scopes. 

RoyDean. Thanks for the info on the tubes. Also the Sig sight. 

Anyone have any experience with the long sight base and tube style sights on the AW93?

JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Fotomaniac 1/18/2022, 10:22 am

FWIW…THE BEST MOUNT for the AW93 would be the one that replaces the rear sight. The BME mount that bridges over fore and aft is cumbersome and prone to loosening. Be careful when removing the rear sight as there are 2 tiny steel ball bearings that WILL FLY if you’re not paying attention. There are 2 versions of the micro mount: Brenzovich, and Doug Hall. They both are excellent and you can easily remove the micro red dot and it WILL return to zero. Putting shades on your micro dot is worthwhile. Due to the fact that there is literally no stress from recoil, you don’t need to over spend on a micro dot. Although you get what you pay for in this regard, you will do fine with any of the better quality bargain dots like the Sig Romeo, or the Holosun. 

Anytime I do a thorough cleaning, I remove the dot. (And the grip)

Note well: DO NOT USE HOPPES OR ANY CLEANERS THAT WILL DO DAMAGE TO THE FINISH OR THE RUBBER BUMPER IN THE DAMPER!!!!!!

The recommended cleaner is the KG 3 solvent and degreaser. A couple of good squirts will remove 90+% of any dirt. This pistol does not require rigorous cleaning. Most times a q-tip will do. Also, it does not require much lube…just a tiny dab of good light machine oil (Lucas oil is great) on the wear spots is all. 

ALSO…DO NOT just start playing with the adjustments. Yes, you can get any type of trigger you might choose, but if you are not familiar with how it’s done, you will incur damage, not to mention get frustrated. If the previous owner messed with this, then you need to seek a competent individual who is familiar with this pistol. Not everyone is, and your local gunsmith most likely is not. And while the AW93 is still in current production, parts are hard to come by right now.

If you require further info or advice, feel free to PM me. YMMV

Fotomaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 1/18/2022, 10:34 am

I second Roy's opinion on Sig Romeo Dots. I prefer Sig Romeo 4 - clearer glass. The older version of Romeo 4 are better IMHO (Romeo 4, Romeo 4A, Romeo 4DC, Romeo 4M). They stand up very well to use on the .45 pistol. Romeo 5 will work great on a .22. I have a short mount that goes in place of the rear site, made by Doug Hall. No experience with the long mount.

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 1/18/2022, 10:47 am

Fhotomaniac,
Yes, I know about the rear sight as I reinstalled it for the original owner. I had to find new detent balls as they were already lost by whoever installed the scope mount. 
Sounds like the short mount is the way to go. Exactly the information I was looking for regarding the long BME mount. 
I shot the pistol yesterday and it has a beautiful trigger!  I see no need to change it. Of course, it’s not my pistol, but I think my son will be very happy with it. 
Thanks for your offer of advise. I may contact you as I’m not yet familiar with this pistol. 
JKR

JKR

Fotomaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 1/18/2022, 11:08 am

Jim,
Keep in mind that in order to install short (Doug Hall also sold by Champion Choice - http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=AW93S / Breznovich) mount, the rear part of the grip must be modified.  I believe, I've seen instructions on DH's site.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Fotomaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 1/18/2022, 11:30 am

I had no problems with the BME bridge mount. I shot it for a few years and don't recall it coming loose. It did take a little getting used to... that long bridge is a nice spring so when dry firing the dot would become a vertical line. Not a problem, as long as the line was vertical and centered on the middle it was a good trigger pull. I never noticed it shooting, only dry firing.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 1/18/2022, 12:25 pm

Alex, 
It wears a Rink grip and has been modified for the Hall mount. 

Steve,
The previous owner told me the BME mount as “springy”. That was his reason for changing to the Hall mount. He later bought a Pardini and had me re install the rear sight. 

JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 1/18/2022, 1:34 pm

Alex,

I am VERY interested in the instruction on modifying the Rink grip for Doug Hall's mount. I carved mine (and butchered it inside). It works, but the fit is still not perfect.

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 1/18/2022, 1:47 pm

Hey JKR:

I have some information that you would probably be interested in.  I own a FWB AW 093 and have the Brenovich mount.  I have tried micro dots on it and also a Ultra Dot match dot II on it with both rings mounted on the rear of the optic. Most of the microdots you would not be able to remove the bolt unless you mounted it far back on the mount which decreases its structural integrity.  The only micro dot that I was able to mount on it and still remove the bolt was the holosun, the Primary arms, the Sig STS 081, and a couple of others interfered with the bolt removal as you rotated the back portion up. 

Personally, I would recommend a red dot with the rotating brightness setting.  the pushbuttons are frustrating to use, and I have inadvertently turned my red dot off in the middle of a match trying to get the brightness up one notch, then struggled to get it back on in time.  

As for cleaning the bolt, I wouldnt worry about that.  I have a teammate with the FWB and the bridge mount and he has not removed the bolt in over 15 years of constant competitions.  

Personally, I would prefer the bridge mount for balance and aesthetics.  

Regards, 
Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 1/18/2022, 2:30 pm

Oleg G wrote:Alex,

I am VERY interested in the instruction on modifying the Rink grip for Doug Hall's mount. I carved mine (and butchered it inside). It works, but the fit is still not perfect.

Best Regards,
Oleg.

Oleg,

See this link http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=AW93S At the bottom of the page you will find Installation Manual, a PDF file with detailed information complemented with pictures.

I ordered Rink grips for AW93.  I exchanged emails with Mr. Rink on the subject.  He will make proper changes to the grip during manufacturing.  So in case you plan on ordering grips, you might be able to avoid this task.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 1/18/2022, 5:17 pm

Alex, thanks! I bought the grips from Mr. Rink last year and did not know better - a sigh...

Thanks!
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Fotomaniac 1/18/2022, 8:59 pm

For those who may be interested…I have been working with Dick Horton on developing the ultimate grips for the AW93. Including the mods for the micro mounts. Fwiw the benefits include not having a 6-8 week wait, bespoke grips made exclusively for the owner. And he’ll work with you until it’s perfect. 

YMMV

Fotomaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 1/22/2022, 8:41 pm

Here's a photos of my AW that I made the 1911 grips for. I made Aluminum panels to adapt it to 1911. But had to buy extra thin 1911 grips. Guy on ebay making custom 1911 grips made the blanks for me with no screw holes. I thinned the back side of the grips on a belt sander so the width is exactly the same as a 1911. Being at the time I was wanting to take the AW to Perry I didn't have time to get the Aluminum Anodized so I got the Aluminum Spray from Brownells. It's wearing off so I'll get it anodized, purchased all that is needed to do anodizing but didn't have the time!
 Seen in the photo is there is nothing between the frame and web of the hand so barrel bore is just above the hand web! It's as low as the Russian the AW supposedly copied. When making grips I suggest the grips allow the  gun to sit low in the hand as the Russian.
 While at Perry I purchased Rink grips but Breznovich sight mount didn't fit in, Rink guy altered the grips, in my opinion did a lousy job! Chopped away wood with a dremel so sights cleared the grips but it wasn't neat, kinda sloppy. I eventually made a complete top end replacement with sight mount.
 Have stair non slip adhesive covering of front and back strap. Works great now!!
AW93 Questions Cimg1928

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down