Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reloading advice for the Distinguished Revolver Match

+12
BE Mike
gweber
NuJudge
Dcforman
rburk
Larry2520
orpheoet
bruce martindale
troystaten
chiz1180
PMcfall
ted.carter.568
16 posters

Go down

Reloading advice for the Distinguished Revolver Match Empty Reloading advice for the Distinguished Revolver Match

Post by ted.carter.568 Tue 8 Feb - 16:47

I'm looking to begin loading for the NRA's Distinguished Revolver matches.

Any advice on what type powder, how much, recommended primers, brass and 158 gr bullets, plus any other loading considerations are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted

ted.carter.568

Back to top Go down

Reloading advice for the Distinguished Revolver Match Empty Re: Reloading advice for the Distinguished Revolver Match

Post by PMcfall Tue 8 Feb - 17:55

I used WST and Zero 158 gr SWC bullets.  My revolver liked 3.2 grs WST.  You will have to find out the charge your revolver likes best.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

ted.carter.568 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Reloading advice for the Distinguished Revolver Match Empty Re: Reloading advice for the Distinguished Revolver Match

Post by chiz1180 Tue 8 Feb - 18:05

WST, Titegroup, or Bullseye anywhere from 3-3.5ish. Zero RN/SWC or Brazos RN. Federal primers are typically preferred, brass doesn’t really matter too much, I prefer to pick one make and run with it.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Tue 8 Feb - 18:45

If you don't have those powders you can use flaming dirt, I mean Unique.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Tue 8 Feb - 18:57

Hard cast seem to prefer heavier loads in Unique while others like Jason Gregoire had great luck with soft swaged and light loads. You'll have to try different things...

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Tue 8 Feb - 19:46

Got mine with 3.0gr WST under a Zero 158gr SWC 1.445 COL medium crimp Starline brass and Winchester small primers for the short line. Federal American Eagle 158gr RN for the long line. I used 2 S&W M14's. A -1 and a -3.
orpheoet
orpheoet

james r chapman and ted.carter.568 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 Tue 8 Feb - 20:47

Ted you need to try a lot of different loads to find out what your pistol likes. The loads you see here are a good starting point. You also have to find out which chambers of your cylinder perform best and mark them. See you at the range! L.

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Tue 8 Feb - 22:21

i'm also starting to load 38 for my revolver.  Someone on this forum suggested to crimp the daylights out them, so I got a Redding Profile Crimp die.  It can put heavy roll crimp on them, like the factory.  I haven't had a chance to test them outdoors yet, but at 50 feet they shoot well.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Wed 9 Feb - 5:33

If they have a crimp groove, roll crimp. If not, then taper!

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge Wed 9 Feb - 6:19

There are a lot of threads on this.  The Search function has not been working well for me lately, but I believe this is the best of the threads on this:  
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t2221-distinguished-revolver-loads-that-don-t-suck?highlight=38+loads+that+don+t+suck

NuJudge

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gweber Wed 9 Feb - 7:14

2.7grs of Ramshot Competition, Win small pistol primers, Zero 158 SWC or my own cast with hi-tek, mixed brass. This was good enough to get distinguished with. I didn't even check chambers on the cylinder like a lot of people do. Off of bags with 2x scope it shot right at 2". 

GW

gweber

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed 9 Feb - 8:35

gweber wrote:2.7grs of Ramshot Competition, Win small pistol primers, Zero 158 SWC or my own cast with hi-tek, mixed brass. This was good enough to get distinguished with. I didn't even check chambers on the cylinder like a lot of people do. Off of bags with 2x scope it shot right at 2". 

GW
Was that a 10 shot group at 50 yards that produced the 2" group?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by gweber Wed 9 Feb - 10:00

BE Mike wrote:
gweber wrote:2.7grs of Ramshot Competition, Win small pistol primers, Zero 158 SWC or my own cast with hi-tek, mixed brass. This was good enough to get distinguished with. I didn't even check chambers on the cylinder like a lot of people do. Off of bags with 2x scope it shot right at 2". 

GW
Was that a 10 shot group at 50 yards that produced the 2" group?
 Yes. actually it was 7 shots as I messed up 3 shots. wasn't the best setup but I could see that the crosshair wasn't in the same spot and they went exactly where the crosshairs were. Was using a spotting scope to confirm what I was seeing as well. 

GW

gweber

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman Wed 9 Feb - 23:42

I legged with cast 158 RN from a magma mold and 4gr unique. Brazos sells the same bullet.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Thu 10 Feb - 23:05

Magtech 158 RN lead bullet with 4.2 grns. Unique…..ugly bullet but shoots really well. Or If shooting commercial ammo - American Eagle 158 Lead RN….I used that ammo for DR. Best I know, the commercial AE ammo uses the Magtech bullet.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1657113562
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Fri 11 Feb - 0:32

TonyH wrote:Magtech 158 RN lead bullet with 4.2 grns. Unique…..ugly bullet but shoots really well. Or If shooting commercial ammo - American Eagle 158 Lead RN….I used that ammo for DR. Best I know, the commercial AE ammo uses the Magtech bullet.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1657113562
If reloading I would recommend Federal primers as they are more reliable in a revolver (thinner cup).

If buying factory ammo, the post quoted above agrees with my testing at the time DR matches began and we were required to use "Factory ammo." 

I just read thru the rules and it doesn't say "158gr lead" in the description, so it appears you can use jacketed bullets now. Jacketed can be more accurate.
Am I wrong?

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Workman Fri 11 Feb - 19:57

I found 3.5 g. of WST behind my cast 158 SWC shot at 50 yards 2 1/4" consistently. I am using a S&W model 14-6 with Winchester primers.
I found 4.6g of WW231 shot 1 5/8" but that was too hot for Timed and rapid.

Kermit Workman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down