Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

soft lube for bullseye loads

+7
10sandxs
SMBeyer
Wes Lorenz
Wobbley
chopper
Kp321
robbt
11 posters

Go down

soft lube for bullseye loads Empty soft lube for bullseye loads

Post by robbt 2/14/2022, 8:00 am

hi guys , hoping there are shooters here that cast there own lead bullets
looking for a soft lube for bullseye loads
any suggestions , I finally ran out 
of a old batch someone gave me , please post 

stay warm , curious what the temperature there , its a warm 15 here

robbt,

robbt

Back to top Go down

soft lube for bullseye loads Empty Re: soft lube for bullseye loads

Post by Kp321 2/14/2022, 9:16 am

I have been using Lyman Alox lube for 30+ years and have no complaints.

Kp321

ric1911a1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 2/14/2022, 9:49 am

White Label 45-45-10
Stan

chopper

james r chapman and Multiracer like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by robbt 2/14/2022, 12:12 pm

oppps I forgot i have a star lube / resizer

robbt

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/14/2022, 2:15 pm

The best lube is actually HiTek coating.  

45-45-10 works as well as anything no sizer needed.

But Magma has soft lube called Jakes.  Dunno about it as I’ve switched to coated.
https://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-lube/
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

10sandxs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 2/14/2022, 6:16 pm

Hi Ashley,
How log does it take you to powder coat 500 or 1000 bullets?
Wes

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/14/2022, 6:29 pm

Using Eastwood powder, 3000 or so in an afternoon.  Using two small toaster ovens.

The technique is to put 100 or so bullets in a “salad bowl” size cheap plastic food container, add a dose of powder, clip the lid on, then swirl.  After a minute or two, check the coverage, and if adequate, drop on the supplied tray that has been lined with non-stick tinfoil.  Bake in the oven at 400 F for 20 minutes. Then let them cool. When done drop into a box.  Break up any stuck together.  Best coverage colors are Blue, Pink, Black and Red.  Metallics require two coats.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer 2/14/2022, 7:11 pm

I have had really good luck with White Label BAC.

Scott
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Bubba Blaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 2/14/2022, 8:25 pm

Im convinced Hitek (or powder coating) is equal to, or superior to any lube. Yes, I've got accuracy testing to prove it.

6 lb of bullets ( 250 or so)
1 minute to coat
15 minutes for solvent to evaporate
15 minutes to bake
10 min to cool,
Repeat coating/baking step for second coat
10 min to size.
Stage 4 batches/ pans and its continuous work for a bit over 2 hours per 1000 rds, depending on how fast you size.

10sandxs

jglenn21 likes this post

Back to top Go down

soft lube for bullseye loads Empty Homemade bullet lube

Post by jjfitch 2/14/2022, 8:57 pm

An old NRA formula: 

Measure by weight.

50% Bees Wax, 50% Petrolatum (Vaseline) then add Lanolin at the rate of about 32:1. Heat over low heat  to melt and mix. Add a little Ivory soap for stearic acid to help blending. Soft enough that it doesn't need heat. You can adjust the ratios to meet your needs.  Pour the mixture in 3/4 " plastic pipe cut to proper length for your Lubrisizer! I clean my barrels with a rolled-up paper towel! No leading if bullets are properly fit to barrel! 

Everything you ever wanted to know about bullet lube!

Google: "CAST BULLET LUBRICANTS (Revised Edition, 2016) by Ralph Schneider and Steve Hurs"

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 2/15/2022, 2:50 pm

That looks like a good book!

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge 2/19/2022, 3:43 pm

Just about any bullet lubricant should do what is needed for Bullseye calibers and loads.  Lubes needed for higher velocity rifle are much more demanding.  For Bullseye loads, worry that the lube is soft enough, and about smoke generation.  

I still have a lot of GAR 50% Beeswax/50% Alox 2138F (the formula NRA came up with long ago, and made by many vendors), bought when they were going out of business.  It is a soft, heavy greasy stuff, and goes through Star tubers nicely, but is smokey in low pressure loads.  The Alox Corporation was bought by the Lubrizol Corporation quite awhile ago, and they stopped making Alox 2138F, so most of the vendors just used the very similar Alox 350.  I have used some of the 50% Beeswax/50% Alox 350, and it works well also.  Recently, Lubrizol Corporation stopped making Alox 350, and I don't know what the vendors are using now.  If I wanted to try something like Beeswax/Alox 2138F, I would contact Lars for his 50/50 Stuff:  https://lsstuff.com/home  

The former Alox Corporation, and then Lubrizol made a lot of compounds, another one being 606, usually found as a very liquid stuff, and diluted with mineral spirits is what Lee Liquid Alox, or LLA, or Lar's Xlox is.  It is also the stuff that Ziebart used to put on the bottom of cars.  Don't confuse it with the 2138F-type stuff.  

There are other commercial and do-it-yourself bullet lubes that will work with your Star machine, many of them Beeswax related.  Some you can make yourself, such as Lithium grease/beeswax, frequently referred to as "Lithabee", the trade name of one former vendor.  Another I have seen in recent years is a combination of synthetic 2-cycle oil and beeswax, frequently referred to as "Bullshop's" "Speed Green" after a vendor and their product.  There are some really sophisticated lubes you can make at home like Felix's World Famous Lube:  https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?543-Felix-Lube-the-Short-Version

I have melted lube in a microwave and simply poured it into one of my Star machines, but it frequently spits in the microwave which can cause a hard to cleanup mess.  Any time you are working with beeswax you have a risk of fire if you are not using a doubleboiler.  Most sticks of lube come with a central hole for the Lyman/RCBS tubers screw, so make sure you are buying solid sticks of the diameter you need.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich/WIS 2/25/2022, 1:47 pm

Have had excellent results with the old NRA Beeswax/Alox lubes from several makers.  Right now using White Label XLOX 2500 for both low power pistol and medium power rifle loads rather than have two lubes to deal with.  Can't see a difference in the pistols.  Both are soft enough that a heater is not needed as long at is above 65 F in my reloading room.

Rich/WIS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down