Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone try an Ultradot 4?

+6
RoyDean
Allen Barnett
Black_Talon
Jack H
TonyH
Tim:H11
10 posters

Go down

Anyone try an Ultradot 4? Empty Anyone try an Ultradot 4?

Post by Tim:H11 2/26/2022, 8:04 pm

Anyone try that Ultradot 4 model? Just curious what people’s take on it is. Thanks

Back to top Go down

Anyone try an Ultradot 4? Empty Re: Anyone try an Ultradot 4?

Post by TonyH 2/26/2022, 8:21 pm

Looks like you are up first on the line...go for it and give us a review!!lol!
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 2/26/2022, 8:30 pm

TonyH wrote:Looks like you are up first on the line...go for it and give us a review!!lol!

I won’t be doing any reviews lol sorry but just curious what a consensus is on it. I haven’t seen anyone with one yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 2/26/2022, 9:11 pm

The 1" 4 dot is my main sight.  I like the 8 min dot.  I use the rubber cone thing on the back and paint the back edge to be like the Dr Wong thing.

Anyone try an Ultradot 4? IMG-0065

BTW  What is the weight number for the barrel weight there?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Black_Talon 2/26/2022, 9:46 pm

Jack H wrote:

BTW  What is the weight number for the barrel weight there?

Looks like the 270 gram one to me. If you don't have a scale that will handle it, take it to the grocery store and weigh it in a produce scale.
Black_Talon
Black_Talon

Jack H likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett 2/26/2022, 9:55 pm

I have 2 of them that I got right after Camp Perry last year.  I personally love them.  They replaced the Match II's I was using.  My first match out with these I jumped up and shot a new personal high for myself.  I am looking to add 2 more for my back-up guns. 

PS:  I scored you on CF and 45 match days last year at Camp Perry.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 2/26/2022, 11:08 pm

Tim:H11, I''m guessing that is the UD you won at the DMW?

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 2/27/2022, 6:38 am

RoyDean wrote:Tim:H11, I''m guessing that is the UD you won at the DMW?

Yes I’m just toying with the idea of trying it on a personal gun of mine or possibly trading it for a 30mm model.

Back to top Go down

Post by BruceV 2/27/2022, 10:15 am

So what is the differences between Ultradot 4 and Ultradot Matchdot II?  I know the 4 is a little longer and has a 10 MOA dot and comes only 25mm I think?

I use objective apertures(Photo Escape) currently using a 13mm, so I guess I don't understand the big deal between the 30mm and 25 mm objectives, if you like a smaller field of view, you can change at will, ranging from about 18mm down to 2mm if you have great eyesight acuity.

BruceV

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 2/27/2022, 10:30 am

BruceV wrote:So what is the differences between Ultradot 4 and Ultradot Matchdot II?  I know the 4 is a little longer and has a 10 MOA dot and comes only 25mm I think?

I use objective apertures(Photo Escape) currently using a 13mm, so I guess I don't understand the big deal between the 30mm and 25 mm objectives, if you like a smaller field of view, you can change at will, ranging from about 18mm down to 2mm if you have great eyesight acuity.

The Matchdot and Matchdot II are both 30mm tube optics. The Ultradot 4 is a 1” tube optic.

The Matchdot and Matchdot II have 2,4,6 and 8 MOA (and the Matchdot II had a couple of other reticles) where the Iltradot 4 has 2,4,8, and 10 MOA. The Matchdot II also has the zero or return to zero turret. 

They are all a little bit different from one another.

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 2/27/2022, 10:46 am

I have one of the old original 4 dots.. It's a 1" tube with 2,4,6,8 moa dots..interesting they went to a max of 10 on the new model although, I will say my 8 dot on the 1" model is smaller than the 8 dot on my matchdots.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by BruceV 2/27/2022, 10:46 am

Tim:H11 wrote:
BruceV wrote:So what is the differences between Ultradot 4 and Ultradot Matchdot II?  I know the 4 is a little longer and has a 10 MOA dot and comes only 25mm I think?

The Matchdot and Matchdot II are both 30mm tube optics. The Ultradot 4 is a 1” tube optic.

The Matchdot and Matchdot II have 2,4,6 and 8 MOA (and the Matchdot II had a couple of other reticles) where the Iltradot 4 has 2,4,8, and 10 MOA. The Matchdot II also has the zero or return to zero turret. 

They are all a little bit different from one another.
So the big deal is it is 25mm and has four dot sizes.  I wasn't concerned with the 25mm or 30mm objective because I knew I was going to go to a smaller objective than either of those.  And I figured if I needed to go bigger the 30mm gave me the most field of view.

The entire idea of shooting with a red dot is still new to me, this past December(two months now) was the first time I ever used one.

BruceV

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 2/27/2022, 11:22 am

In my experience using apertures front and back on a new 30mm tube UB can be frustrating. On the new ones I bought a year or so ago I found that on at least one unit the dot is not axially concentric with the tubes. That messes with the sight picture I like and I gave up on them.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by BruceV 2/27/2022, 11:29 am

RoyDean wrote:In my experience using apertures front and back on a new 30mm tube UB can be frustrating.  On the new ones I bought a year or so ago I found that on at least one unit the dot is not axially concentric with the tubes. That messes with the sight picture I like and I gave up on them.
I have not had any issues so far.  I only use the smaller apertures on the objective end, currently using a 13mm and find the bullseye perfectly in slow fire and sustained fire.  Some will use smaller apertures for slow fire then switch to a larger one for timed and rapid, at this point I'm not there.

BruceV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/27/2022, 5:04 pm

If I got all the information correctly, the new 1" Ultradot 4 is the same as the previous 1" Ultradot, but it offers a choice of different dot sizes, but that makes it heavier.

Apparently, like all the Ultradot sights, the view through the sight has "negative magnification", meaning targets seen through the sight appear smaller than they do to the eye (no sight).  

I have several Ultradot sights, but I find the apparent decrease in target size to be very annoying.  I haven't shot my 45 in two years, but when I went to the range with it last week, I didn't like looking at the target which appeared noticeably smaller.  For me, the solution was very simple - remove it, and mount an Aimpoint H-1 which was sitting in my sight box, unused for the past few years.  

I called Ultradot, and was told the specification for the lenses is +/- 3%, but in my opinion that is misleading.  Maybe all my Ultradot sights make the target look essentially the same, but they all make the target appear smaller.  

Makes me wonder if I can buy a red dot sight that makes the target appear larger.....     :-)

Last night, just for the heck of it, I got out my Les Baer Premiere II with iron sights, and started dry firing with it.  Unless I come to my senses, and put it back in the safe, I'll be trying it out tomorrow.  

Back on target, no pun intended, all the Ultradot sights I've used provide a nice view, other than for the target appearing smaller.  One of the people I respect here very much gave up on them though, when he appeared ready to win a new gun at a match, only to have the sight fail.  I now figure "you get what you pay for", and while I like the Aimpoints more, they cost a lot more.

Interesting reading:
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t11974-ultradot-vs-aimpoint
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/27/2022, 7:05 pm

Older Ultradot 4 dot. 30mm tube no image reduction . .Wish I had  more.Anyone try an Ultradot 4? 20180710
LenV
LenV

Jack H likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 2/27/2022, 7:28 pm

LenV wrote:Older Ultradot 4 dot. 30mm tube no image reduction . .Wish I had  more.Anyone try an Ultradot 4? 20180710

Nice gun.  Smile
Jack H
Jack H

LenV likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down