Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smith & Wesson 41 pistol -- one opinion.

+31
TicTocer
-TT-
spursnguns
chiz1180
STEVE SAMELAK
SonOfAGun
Coupebuilder
gregbenner
pgg
Wobbley
gasixgunner
djperry2
Wes Lorenz
Steve K
troystaten
Tripscape
msmith44
thor
Jack H
hg401
PMcfall
Larry2520
rkittine
KCoop
REConley
gweber
NukeMMC
Jon Eulette
brdrgrd
Pinetree
CO1Mtn
35 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Smith & Wesson 41 pistol -- one opinion. Empty Smith & Wesson 41 pistol -- one opinion.

Post by CO1Mtn Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:52 pm

Greetings fellow shooters,

I want to give anyone reading this a heads-up about the Smith and Wesson model 41 pistol. I bought one of them new and for $1200, it does not perform anywhere near what it should. I'm getting stovepipes, failure to extract, and failure to go into battery. I've tried a few different brands of ammo, and it's very fussy about ammo. Only two brands that I have tried so far work at all. It won't even function with some brands. The reliability is very poor.

The sights also came crooked from the factory ( I bought it through gunbroker ), and even though I sent the pistol back to the factory, they simply said "could not duplicate problem" and sent it back.

Guys, I thought I was doing the right thing by buying an American made product, but the engineering is poor and this pistol is not a quality product. I'm hearing other reports of people having the same issues, too. For what it costs, this pistol should be a lot better. It's not even as good as a stock Ruger MKII. Please learn from my mistake, and others' mistakes, and avoid this pistol.

If anyone knows a good gunsmith I can send this to to get it working, please send me a message.

I am so frustrated with this pistol. And I might not buy any more S&W products again. This thing is a disgrace to American made products. European engineering must be better, because I don't hear about people having this type of trouble with Pardinis and Hammerlis. I used to always "buy American," but items like this one make me reconsider.

Last edited by james r chapman on Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Reflecting different opinions-admin)

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Smith & Wesson 41 pistol -- one opinion. Empty Re: Smith & Wesson 41 pistol -- one opinion.

Post by Pinetree Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:02 pm

I have the Performance Center version, and I have to say that I agree.

I'm using a red dot, so the sights aren't an issue, but I've already sent it back once because the safety was flopping around and engaging itself.

KC Crawford was nice enough to give me the fix via email, and from what I've seen he's the guy to seek, although the last time I corresponded with him, he wasn't taking on any new work.

Good luck.

https://kcskustomcreations.com/

(No affiliation)

Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Smith & Wesson 41 pistol -- one opinion. Empty Re: Smith & Wesson 41 pistol -- one opinion.

Post by CO1Mtn Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:05 pm

What really stinks is I deliberately bought this instead of a Hammerli because it is American made.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by brdrgrd Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:52 pm

I had the same issues with my brand new performance center model 41. Sent it off to Clark Custom Guns for their reliability package. It came back and works great now.

brdrgrd

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:14 am

CO1Mtn wrote:What really stinks is I deliberately bought this instead of a Hammerli because it is American made.
Hammerli isn’t made in China 😂 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:12 am

Pinetree wrote:I have the Performance Center version, and I have to say that I agree.

I'm using a red dot, so the sights aren't an issue, but I've already sent it back once because the safety was flopping around and engaging itself.

KC Crawford was nice enough to give me the fix via email, and from what I've seen he's the guy to seek, although the last time I corresponded with him, he wasn't taking on any new work.

Good luck.

https://kcskustomcreations.com/

(No affiliation)

I am getting back the 41 I sent to KC for a re-line and tune-up today.  I am looking forward to seeing how it runs.  His reputation with any bullseye pistol, including the 41, is beyond reproach.

Unfortunately he is going in for his first surgery today and will be out of "the game" for the next 6-8 months.  Our thoughts and well-wishes to him for swift recovery!
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:42 am

Yeah yeah, I get it, they're made in Switzerland or Germany or someplace in Europe. The thing is, I try to support American businesses when I can. Apparently though, Smith & Wesson doesn't want to support its shooters by producing quality products. It's something I felt compelled to warn other shooters about. I care about this sport and I don't like it when people get ripped off.

I got 14 rimfire points with a Nelson conversion, and right now it's outperforming the S&W 41. I'm talking to Larry about building me a 6" Nelson. If anyone has any feedback about that, I'm all ears. 

Thank you for the ideas. I hope KC recovers soon. I won't bother him with any pistol questions until he's fully recovered.

In my recent experience, European and Asian countries are engineering things better these recent few decades. It's an unfortunate thing but a reality. I bought a Toyota vehicle because they last longer than Ford/GMC. I bought a Japanese made scope because Leupold closed their custom shop and the Japanese scope was better. I suppose I should have bought the European made pistol.

Well in a few minutes I'm going to be heading into work, where all the 20-year-olds spend half the day playing with their cell phones instead of working whenever the boss isn't around. No wonder we're getting beat.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by gweber Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:10 am

I have a 6" Nelson and all I can say if you like extra weight that would be the way to go. Far as I'm concerned Nelsons are accurate and very reliable. Go with the nelson if that is what you like. 

I have never been impressed with the m41. Never owned one or shot one just seen them have more issues far as reliability and accuracy than its worth. 

GW

gweber

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:03 am

brdrgrd wrote:I had the same issues with my brand new performance center model 41. Sent it off to Clark Custom Guns for their reliability package. It came back and works great now.
I have done the same thing and have not had a FTF or FTE that was not clearly ammo related in many 1000's of rounds. 

The Clark boys know the model 41.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by KCoop Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:30 pm

Try polishing the chamber with a cleaning rod & patch with lapping compound.

KCoop

Back to top Go down

Post by KCoop Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:31 pm

CCI STANDARD velocity Smile

KCoop

FinallyShooting likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rkittine Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:31 pm

+ 1 for CCI Standard Velocity. I also put a little oil on the last round placed in the magazine.
rkittine
rkittine

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:58 pm

I had a 41 that I bought from Jim Rose. He did something to it and it would swallow anything. He wouldn't tell me what he did but it ran well. Of course it shot better than I could shoot it. The only thing I didn't like was that it was a little too barrel heavy.

Larry2520

Robuc likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:08 am

I shot a 41 for years before I switched over to a conversion.  I sent mine to Clark while still new and never had any problems at all over thousands of rounds.  CCI and TenX ran flawlessly.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:01 pm

My A series Model 41 is fine with CCI SV, though it was worked on by KC Crawford before I bought it.  I hear so many issues with new Model 41 and Victory pistols.  Granted, most people don't post when things are good but still more than I'd expect.  And this isn't just a covid thing.  It's reasonable to expect a target pistol to be a bit fussy, but these aren''t Pardinis.

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:44 pm

In my (ever so humble) opinion, a M41 needs its chamber to be squeaky clean.

I run a Hoppes pull through bore snake after every practice or match.

Pinetree
Pinetree

Foundryratjim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:32 pm

I think it goes back to "buy once, cry once." It's better to spend for a used Pardini than a model 41.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:06 am

Bad mouthing all 41s based on one?  Really?
Jack H
Jack H

PMcfall and chopper like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thor Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:41 am

I suspect - I don’t know - a possible moral of the story here is to NOT (I certainly do not) anticipate any late-model 41 (anything for that matter) will perform up to par with the same item mfr’ed in the 60’s and 70’s …

I’m taking both mine out tomorrow to test several different ammo lots in each and I’ll have to see whether or not they are “A” or another letter designation …

A Pardini is still on my bucket list, tho!  Smith & Wesson 41 pistol -- one opinion. 1f60b

thor

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:57 am

Larry, would Jim Rose be receptive to me contacting him and asking for his assistance?

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by msmith44 Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:29 am

KCoop wrote:Try polishing the chamber with a cleaning rod & patch with lapping compound.
What grit do you recommend?

msmith44

Back to top Go down

Post by msmith44 Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:33 am

Jack H wrote:Bad mouthing all 41s based on one?  Really?
Actually, a few more than one. Recommended reading

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=306

It's the Model 41 blog.

msmith44

Back to top Go down

Post by thor Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:54 am

Question not directed at me but, I opted for the finest I could get (which was jewelers rouge)

Comparison chart https://www.kemet.co.uk/blog/lapping/clover-lapping-compound-comparision-chart

thor

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:16 pm

CO1Mtn wrote:Larry, would Jim Rose be receptive to me contacting him and asking for his assistance?
Sadly, Jim Rose left us back in 2017.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:29 pm

Reading some of the stuff on rimfirecentral just seems to reinforce the OP's point.

I know that I am less than thrilled with my PC M41, but I'm sticking with it for the time being.

Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next