Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colt Gold Cup 38 Wad Cutter

5 posters

Go down

Colt Gold Cup 38 Wad Cutter Empty Colt Gold Cup 38 Wad Cutter

Post by ser2711 Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:04 am

Is a long time I have a Colt Gold Cup in .38 WC..(3 stars). I try at the beginning with commercial cartridges with not good result as with S&W 52 in 30+30 25 mt. match. I decide now to reload and I discover  same result as accuracy to the S&W 52.. Maybe is it the reasons the Colt is not so populare in competitions..?

ser2711

Back to top Go down

Colt Gold Cup 38 Wad Cutter Empty Re: Colt Gold Cup 38 Wad Cutter

Post by Fotomaniac Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:24 am

All mine are very accurate. What are you loading?

Fotomaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by ser2711 Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:25 am

Vita N310 2.7 grs. H&N .357 148wc

ser2711

Back to top Go down

Post by Fotomaniac Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:36 am

I use 2.7/2.8 700x. Set bullet just a thumbnail above case mouth, snug roll crimp. Shoots great out of Mid ranges, Model 61 Clark and Giles.

Fotomaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:03 pm

The Colt MR were never really as popular as the 52.  They didn’t survive the revamp of the “Government Models” to the “Series 70” conversion.  They generally were not as accurate as the 52 or the 1911 conversions from Clark or Giles (and others).  Couple that with the overall poor consistency of 38 WC ammo (even factory) at 50 yards and the Colt Mid-Range 38 WC was doomed.  

Since you’re in Europe and the collectors interest likely isn’t strong, my suggestion is to contact EGW for a custom barrel bushing that can be fitted to the gun/barrel.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:33 am

Wobbley wrote:The Colt MR were never really as popular as the 52.  They didn’t survive the revamp of the “Government Models” to the “Series 70” conversion.  They generally were not as accurate as the 52 or the 1911 conversions from Clark or Giles (and others).  Couple that with the overall poor consistency of 38 WC ammo (even factory) at 50 yards and the Colt Mid-Range 38 WC was doomed.  

Since you’re in Europe and the collectors interest likely isn’t strong, my suggestion is to contact EGW for a custom barrel bushing that can be fitted to the gun/barrel.
That is an astute observation there, and you are correct. And here we are today as rare as hen’s teeth.
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fotomaniac Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:07 pm

FWIW. These pistols have a “pinned” barrel. It’s held in place by the slide stop pin. This means that the barrel doesn’t move upon firing. While it may be said that a tight bushing “may” help with accuracy, it only marginally will help. They do not lock up like a standard tilting barrel as in the 1911’s.  I have found that the load/ammo is the key to accuracy with these. If the slide stop pin is loose, and doesn’t secure the barrel properly, then I’d look to fix it. Also, be sure that the spring which sits below the chamber and applies some resistance is present and still firm. 
I have a Mid Range that has been tuned and accurized by one the Colt Custom Shop smiths…the bushing actually still has no real direct contact with the barrel.  It is very accurate…I however am not always!  Lol

Fotomaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:51 pm

Fotomaniac wrote:FWIW. These pistols have a “pinned” barrel. It’s held in place by the slide stop pin. This means that the barrel doesn’t move upon firing. While it may be said that a tight bushing “may” help with accuracy, it only marginally will help. They do not lock up like a standard tilting barrel as in the 1911’s.  I have found that the load/ammo is the key to accuracy with these. If the slide stop pin is loose, and doesn’t secure the barrel properly, then I’d look to fix it. Also, be sure that the spring which sits below the chamber and applies some resistance is present and still firm. 
I have a Mid Range that has been tuned and accurized by one the Colt Custom Shop smiths…the bushing actually still has no real direct contact with the barrel.  It is very accurate…I however am not always!  Lol
Greetings,

The 38 National Match barrels have a slot machined into the barrel lug. It allows about 1/16" rearward movement when fired.

It is straight blowback. The barrel does not move up nor down.

Colt Gold Cup 38 Wad Cutter S-l1600

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:13 pm

Thank you Dave for posting the Picture it is worth 1000 words!

Jim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down