Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smith & Wesson Model 41 trigger to light

+2
bruce martindale
dlevasse
6 posters

Go down

Smith & Wesson Model 41 trigger to light Empty Smith & Wesson Model 41 trigger to light

Post by dlevasse Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:20 pm

So my trigger pull has been getting lighter right now it is at 2lbs with the adjuster all the way back. What do I need to do to increase it. I am sure this has been discuses before but I can't find it.

dlevasse

Back to top Go down

Smith & Wesson Model 41 trigger to light Empty Re: Smith & Wesson Model 41 trigger to light

Post by bruce martindale Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:25 am

Start with cleaning the hammer and sear with solvent. Do you know how to pull those two parts and reinstall?

After that, it gets more difficult. The crosspin in front slides to the side and the coil spring comes out. Yield it by unwinding paying attention to how far it yields. Getting it back in is difficult; you need a slave pin to retain it while you keep the spring leg up out of the way. Where are you located? Perhaps one of us is close enough to help?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Coupebuilder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Smith & Wesson Model 41 trigger to light Empty Re: Smith & Wesson Model 41 trigger to light

Post by dlevasse Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:18 am

Bruce,
     Thanks for your reply. I live in the great state of Michigan, just west of the Saginaw Bay. Where the thumb and pointer finger meet.
Judging by the number of replys I need to rethink this one, I was thinking about driving the pin that holds the torsion spring out but I don't know what side to drive from, My guess is to drive it from right to left. Have you ever replaced the trigger spring.

dlevasse

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:45 am

I found this link in another thread in these forums- S&W M41 Trigger adjustment (bullseyeforum.net)

Here is a link to a website showing how to adjust the Model 41 trigger:

https://guntalk-online.com/Model41maintenance.htm#trigadjust

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by dlevasse Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:29 pm

Shanneba,
          Thank you for your reply, I have read through the maintenance guide and have used it t0 set the trigger to the Max setting. I have not heard anyone say they could not increase the trigger pull, something is telling me I am miss something, not very likely I have the only model 41 with this problem.  Bruce said to do a deep clean on it, sure can't hurt.

dlevasse

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:18 pm

Before I’d disassemble beyond taking the grips off, I’d go get a cheapo ultrasonic cleaner (harbor Freight?) and submerge the assembled lower receiver into a degreasing ultrasonic cleaning solution.   Then tun it for a DOUBLE cycle or at least 24 hours.  Drain and re lubricate with light gun oil.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dlevasse Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:25 pm

Wobbley,
        Thank you for your reply. I have been looking for an excuse to buy a ultrasonic cleaner. Harbor Freight just down the road I have to drive right by tomorrow.

dlevasse

Back to top Go down

Post by bmize1 Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:05 pm

My 41 will pick up a 2# weight if your VERY careful.
It’s like 2.0001# and usually takes the allowed 3 tries of the match officer.
I emailed KC about it a few years ago and he said a correct trigger job was needed to do it right.

Last fall when it was weighed for the regional, same 3 tries were needed and went off 1/4” off the table, but the match director said, it picked it up, so it is fine.

I actually sold it a few months ago so I don’t have to worry about it anymore.

bmize1

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:34 pm

Would spraying it off with gun scrubber be an option?  I think it removes all oil and grease, so you have to oil it afterward.

Ultrasonic cleaner is probably a better idea.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down