Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Domino FAS 602 - Ammo Troubles

5 posters

Go down

Domino FAS 602 - Ammo Troubles Empty Domino FAS 602 - Ammo Troubles

Post by Oleg G 5/2/2022, 8:51 am

I recently bought a Domino FAS 602. I plan to use it for the EIC .22 matches. I like the pistol very much, however, it appears to be extremely picky about ammo. I have tried several brands at my disposal. Below are the results.

Ammo that shoots:
1. Geco Semi-Auto - very reliable feeding and ejecting and extremely accurate
2. CCI Standard, old dark-blue box - very reliable feed and ejecting and very accurate
3. CCI standard, new light-blue box - one of my two magazines intermittently fails to pick up the second round, the other functions well. As accurate as old CCI standard

All ammo brands and types below produce intermittent flyers into the 8 and 7 rings - at least one per 5-rounds string. These flyers always show signs of the bullet keyholing - oblong holes, vs regular round holes.

1. Geco Rifle
2. Geco Match
3. SK Standard+
4. Eley Target
5. Aguila Super Extra
6. Federal Champion

All the ammo above functions perfectly in my AW93, with the exception of Aguila - the FWB does not like it all and does not eject the second round brass.

I do have a supply of the ammo that shoots well in the FAS 602, but it is extremely frustrating that I am limited to such a narrow choice.

Any advise from the experts as to the cause of this? Is it just a matter of the pistol only liking some ammo, or something that may be fixed?

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Domino FAS 602 - Ammo Troubles Empty Re: Domino FAS 602 - Ammo Troubles

Post by Aetherpulse 5/2/2022, 10:37 am

I had one that was the same. I put a new recoil spring and buffers in and now it runs 100% with any standard velocity ammo I put in it, except for Eley Team.

Baron

Aetherpulse

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 5/3/2022, 1:29 pm

Oleg,
One thing to watch with the 602 is cartridge length. The European ammo is typically a little shorter than ours. I found CCI to be a little to snug in the magazine to feed reliably. The FAS is known for it’s fussiness. 
If the bullets are tipping, check your bore carefully for lead. You may not be able to see it without a bore scope. Unless the bore has been damaged in some way, I’d bet leading is the cause. 
I regret selling my 602, fussy as it was. It was easy to shoot well and had a fabulous trigger. 
JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 5/3/2022, 5:43 pm

Thanks. I have replaced the recoil spring and the buffer yesterday. 
Took the pistol to the range today. The magazine is operating more reliably, not 100% but much better, so I can use new CCI as training ammo.
I will check the barrel for leading but with the parts replaced, the keyhole shots seem to have disappeared. The jury is still out as far as accuracy and I will do more testing but I am encouraged. I like the pistol very much and believe that it will serve me well as my .22 EIC gun and as a backup .22 pistol.

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Aetherpulse 5/3/2022, 5:46 pm

Make sure to clean and lubricate the magazines as well. That helped a lot on mine.

Baron

Aetherpulse

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 5/3/2022, 6:20 pm

Baron is right. There’s no wiggle room in FAS magazines. It’s essential to keep them clean. 
Oleg, 
Glad to hear you found springs and buffers. FAS parts are hard to come by now. I may still have some spares. Check with me if there’s something you need. 
JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Aetherpulse 5/3/2022, 6:25 pm

It's too bad there isn't a more readily available recoil spring that would work. I had to get mine from Italy.

Baron

Aetherpulse

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 5/3/2022, 6:28 pm

Thanks, JKR. I'll connect with you. 
I bought the maintenance kit from the son of the late manufacturer in Italy. He sells them. I also bought a magazine from him but it is traveling by pony express across the ocean Smile.
The maintenance kit includes a firing pin, hammer spring, recoil spring, a rear buffer, a front shock absorber and a couple of other small parts.

The gentleman's email address is domino6002@gmail.com and he is very responsive.

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Aetherpulse 5/3/2022, 6:30 pm

Yep, that's where I got mine. It's great that he's still supporting these pistols.

Baron

Aetherpulse

Back to top Go down

Post by francwv 6/11/2022, 6:29 pm

Found a French write up that mention using only Eley and RWS pistol match.

francwv

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 6/11/2022, 7:38 pm

Interesting, today I tried Norma TAC22, which is made by RWS, I believe, and shot well in my FAS 602.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Domino FAS 602 - Ammo Troubles Empty FAS 602

Post by boboman 6/11/2022, 10:24 pm

My FAS 602 works great with NORMA TAC-22.

boboman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down