Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.22 recoils spring weight

+2
Sc0
Froneck
6 posters

Go down

.22 recoils spring weight Empty .22 recoils spring weight

Post by Froneck 5/27/2022, 2:50 pm

What is the average recoils spring weight used in the .22 pistol. Making the .22 conversion I will soon have to determine what spring I need. I was thinking of using a 1911 type spring in low weight, found a 7 pound spring on ebay. But I measured my AW93 with a weight on the breech face of the slide when about half open. 3 pound weight could not be pulled up by the spring nor could the weight move the slide back so the spring is near 3 pounds at that point. Another question is the 1911 recoil spring style available in 3 or 4 pounds?

Froneck

Back to top Go down

.22 recoils spring weight Empty Re: .22 recoils spring weight

Post by Sc0 5/27/2022, 3:18 pm

I would say that recoil spring depends on what hammer spring your using and ammunition. (Haven't seen any 1911 springs available in that low of weight.)

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 5/27/2022, 6:01 pm

Froneck wrote:What is the average recoils spring weight used in the .22 pistol. Making the .22 conversion I will soon have to determine what spring I need. I was thinking of using a 1911 type spring in low weight, found a 7 pound spring on ebay. But I measured my AW93 with a weight on the breech face of the slide when about half open. 3 pound weight could not be pulled up by the spring nor could the weight move the slide back so the spring is near 3 pounds at that point. Another question is the 1911 recoil spring style available in 3 or 4 pounds?

The AW93 recoil system is a light recoil spring and a heavy stop spring. For simpler pistols (Hammerli X-esse, S&W M41, Nelson Conversion) 7-8-9 pound springs work depending on how the other parts of the pistol work together.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by bmize1 5/27/2022, 6:21 pm

In my steel conversion, #6 recoil and #19 hammer spring.
Does not lock back every time, but part of that is the mag springs I think.
It runs reliably with the above and cci sv and rws sport

bmize1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 5/27/2022, 6:29 pm

I use 5# recoil spring with Marvel Steel Slide (19# mainspring). Runs CCI SV, Aguila and various Eley’s.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 5/28/2022, 11:21 am

Thanks Guys! I just might try a 7 pound 1911 recoil spring with a 15 or 17 pound main spring. Since hammer is locked back on the sear the main spring will not help closing. I managed to get 2 different types of very tough steel. Have been surfacing grinding them as per the wire EDM guys instruction and will have a few hammers made. I also made a slide stop pin from the same material, had to use carbide to turn it. I also want to tap the pin so that the barrel is pulled back in the frame not pushed forward like Marvel and Nelson do it. I did successfully drill the pin with carbide drill, purchased a Guhring 4mm tap for hard metal and tapped the pin.
 Hopefully I have the conversion ready by Perry.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 5/28/2022, 12:39 pm

It's been a while since I had a Marvel, but I seem to remember it having a recoil spring more akin to a S-W 41.  FCW/Marvel Precision sells their recoils springs in 5-10 lbs in 1# increments.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 5/28/2022, 1:37 pm

I have a complete Nelson conversion new and never fired though it has been mounted on a frame. I didn't like where the barrel was located so I moved it rearward on my version. Also to move it to the rear I want to pull it back not push it forward like the Nelson conversion so I threaded the slide stop pin for a 4mm screw. Would be nice to have the spring guide rod the same diameter as the width of the "lower lug" of the .22 barrel. (being there is no upper lug lower refers to the similar lug on the 45ACP barrel) Therefor a spring the same diameter as the 1911 recoil spring would be desirable.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down