Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any recommendations for 1" scope rings?

+10
faraim
swissyhawk
Wes Lorenz
John Dervis
LenV
fc60
DA/SA
Froneck
PMcfall
zanemoseley
14 posters

Go down

Any recommendations for 1" scope rings? Empty Any recommendations for 1" scope rings?

Post by zanemoseley Tue May 31, 2022 8:23 am

Just ordered a 1" 2moa Ultradot for my 38sp/1911 to reduce the slide weight so I can run a lighter load, to run a MD2 I'm having to run 3.1WST which is bulging the brass at the feed ramp some. I don't like vertical split rings and don't like the cross bolt to be threaded into aluminum if possible, the stock rings are both. I've got loads of good 30mm rings but none for 1". Any recommendations?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Any recommendations for 1" scope rings? Empty Re: Any recommendations for 1" scope rings?

Post by PMcfall Tue May 31, 2022 8:43 am

I've always used the factory rings ever since UltraDot first came out.  Alot of shooters don't like 'em but I have had zero problems with them.  I have them on the slide of my 45 as well as my 22 conversion units.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Foundryratjim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Any recommendations for 1" scope rings? Empty Re: Any recommendations for 1" scope rings?

Post by zanemoseley Tue May 31, 2022 8:48 am

I may give them a shot before replacing. Seems like I may have stripped a base screw once which doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling lol. I'll just be easy with them.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Tue May 31, 2022 9:10 am

I have use the rings supplied by UltraDot but after a while I changed them to Weaver Rings. Care has to be taken when using the UltraDot ring because of their 2 piece design. If the top screw is tightened so that it closes the gap too much it don't allow the lower screw to close the bottom 1/2 enough onto the scope base and may be the reason the screw was stripped.  My dislike of the rings made me replace the UltraDot rings on all my guns with Weaver. Later when replacing the UltraDot scope after a season of shooting (especially on Adam's .45 that he shot everyday) I probably have a few pair of UltraDot rings somewhere. If my memory is correct quite a while ago a friend of mine told me that after returning an UltraDot he was told that the problem came from tightening the rings too much.

Last edited by Froneck on Tue May 31, 2022 9:25 am; edited 2 times in total

Froneck

Al and chopper like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Tue May 31, 2022 9:17 am

The secret to UltraDot rings is the instructions!

Tighten the lower screw first to lock them tightly on the rail, then tighten the upper screw gently to clamp the scope.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Tue May 31, 2022 9:26 am

Greetings,

Consider the Burris Zee rings.

Removal/replacement of the scope is easy for cleaning and you generally do not lose zero.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Dan Webb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Tue May 31, 2022 9:36 am

The instructions are correct! There is a problem, Aluminum especially the softer grades likes to creep (move away from force) The creep is why when using Aluminum wire special care has to be taken when clamping the wire especially under a steel screw. Also when using rings the forward ring should be located so that it is against the larger part of the scope body to prevent the scope from moving forward due to recoil! Due the the creep that screw might require re-tightening from time to time.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue May 31, 2022 9:47 am

I like the Leupold Rifleman or Redding rings. Where lightweight is all that is required . Any recommendations for 1" scope rings? Screen24
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Tue May 31, 2022 10:08 am

LenV provided other good ring brands that also work as good or maybe better than the Weaver rings. They have been used on Rifle scopes for years.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Tue May 31, 2022 1:30 pm

I used Burris ZEE rings on my UltraDots when I used dot sights.  They perform very well but mine were steel.  I liked those because they added some weight but you might not since you are trying to shave weight.  I do not know if the ZEE style comes in aluminum or not. 

Good luck.
John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Tue May 31, 2022 3:46 pm

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

Consider the Burris Zee rings.

Removal/replacement of the scope is easy for cleaning and you generally do not lose zero.

Cheers,

Dave
Hi Zane,
Like my mentor says: Low mount Zee rings. 
If you have access or know a machinist they can be lightened per the picture below. I used a 1/4" carbide ball nose endmill. 
They will then weight close to the same as the UD rings.
Upper left is the Ultra-Low size (no longer available). Upper right is the Low size. Bottom is standard Weaver w/aluminum base.
I've had the same set on my wad gun since the early 1990's.
Hope this helps.

Any recommendations for 1" scope rings? Zee_ri15

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by swissyhawk Tue May 31, 2022 5:54 pm

I like Vortex Hunter rings in low mount.

swissyhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by faraim Tue May 31, 2022 7:49 pm

I use the Leupold Rifleman low rings. They need to be lapped, but then most rings do.
faraim
faraim

Back to top Go down

Post by GME Tue May 31, 2022 10:00 pm

I like the Warne rings.  I have them on my pardini and two Tikka rifles.  They are sintered steel.  I have Weaver on a couple of other pistols, but I'm not all that fond of the 6 screws on each ring, and the large headed screw fixing the rings to the Pic rails.  The Warne rings give a very clean installation.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Tue May 31, 2022 10:06 pm

I have Leopold rings on mine, I had vertical split rings that came with the gun but they stripped out I like the Leopold's

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:32 am

Dave Salyer suggested I get the Leupold rings, which I did long ago, and that's the only rings I have bought since then.  I got the "low" mount rings.  You can get them from Amazon for a good price.  

I will never use the stock, vertical-split rings, again, for many reasons.  If I need to remove the sight, then re-install it, it needs to be centered again.  With the Leupold design, that is much less of a problem.  I also like having the separate nuts for the screws to go into.   

LenV always seems to suggest things that Dave Salyer suggests - both of them (in my opinion) are never "wrong", and their suggestions always eventually turn out to be the best, in my opinion.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:48 am

Thanks guys, just ordered a pair of the Leupold rifleman low rings.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:05 pm

I have Vortex Pro series 30mm rings on mine. They look bulky but weigh only 1.4ozs eachAny recommendations for 1" scope rings? 20220520
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down