Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The older the worser?

+13
Jack H
RoyDean
ak41
REConley
mikemyers
chopper
BE Mike
Merick
oldsalt444
Al
TonyH
DA/SA
jwax
17 posters

Go down

The older the worser? Empty The older the worser?

Post by jwax Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:03 pm

In doing all we can do to constantly improve our techniques and scores, I'm curious as to what other shooters believe is the "transition age" of declining scores/ability. Apparently there is the inevitable falling off the cliff of not improving/declining ability, but is it at 65? 70? More?
Of course individual results will vary, but what is the consensus, if there even is one?
At what age have you witnessed, in yourself or others, the edge of the cliff?
Discuss.
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

The older the worser? Empty Re: The older the worser?

Post by DA/SA Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:09 pm

Even though I have been shooting less and training less due to time constraints, I'm still climbing at 66.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Foundryratjim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:30 pm

The older the worser? 3064385617 Me too @ 65.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

The older the worser? Empty Deterioration

Post by Al Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:54 pm

From my perspective, 60 was when I started noticing it more & more. It began late 50's when a lifetime of abusing my back & joints started catching up. Just got more complicated when familiar tremors started showing up on my right side, necessitating a switch from RH to LH. Very humbling. First few matches were "challenging" to say the least. At least now, at 67, I am shooting higher Marksman scores, occasionally a Sharpshooter score, and maybe one target in a match I'll break into Expert. 

Now, it's about seeing old friends and exchanging "pleasant greetings" and BS.

Al

Al

jglenn21, Hawkja and Larryb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:59 pm

Me too.  I finally made distinguished at 62 and since then it's been downhill. I'm 66 now; but I have a hard time with the over-generalization of "getting old".  What is it that specifically causes your scores to decline?  Nobody seems to know, not even doctors.  Is it the sheathing on your nerves deteriorating, blood pressure meds, loss of muscle mass, getting fat or what?  If we know what's wrong then maybe we can fix it.  I hope somebody with a medical background could enlighten us.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

jwax likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:02 pm

Years ago I was climbing Mt Elbert.  On the way up I met a guy coming back down and we both took a breather and chatted for a minute.  He was in his 60's and had just summited the high point in Colorado as a side hike on the continental divide trail.  Earlier that year he had competed in a marathon around Everest base camp.

His message was that yes things get harder after your 20's, but they are still possible if you make a conscientious effort to stay active.

Conversely as my grandfather said of retiring farmers; "Move to town and you'll be dead in 3 years."

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:56 pm

Or, as Clint Eastwood says, "Don't let the old man in!".
jwax
jwax

Foundryratjim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:17 pm

Right around 60, I noticed my endurance was waning. My grip wasn't as strong, and my scores started declining. I might add that an old car accident injury seemed to raise its ugly head. I was having to take Tylenol before a match to reduce the pain in my shoulder. Having to deal with the pain took the fun out of the sport for me. The declining eyesight also was a factor. Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
BE Mike
BE Mike

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:35 am

BE Mike wrote:Right around 60, I noticed my endurance was waning. My grip wasn't as strong, and my scores started declining. I might add that an old car accident injury seemed to raise its ugly head. I was having to take Tylenol before a match to reduce the pain in my shoulder. Having to deal with the pain took the fun out of the sport for me. The declining eyesight also was a factor. Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
   Yes, you have to be able to tough it out or head to the "Pansy Patch".

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:26 pm

I'm now 78, but shooting is as much fun as ever, actually more, as I have more free time.
.....I wish I knew 50 years ago what I know now.
When I went to buy my first gun, I came home with an S&W Model 29 with a sight on top.
.....and I still have it, and still enjoy shooting it, but not as much fun as with real bullseye guns.

I used to shoot in a grass field with targets probably 10 yards away.
I didn't know any better.
Now I most enjoy shooting at 50 yards.
Now I know more, but I also know how much I don't yet know.....

To answer your question, in my 60's.
mikemyers
mikemyers

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:51 am

Jwax, I really can't say when my bullseye shooting tapered off, I didn't start until I was about 64. I did shoot IDPA matches when I was 62 and 63 and discovered bullseye was much more fun for me.
 Like Mike I enjoy going to the range and testing my training by practicing those skills. I also go to the range to have fun and leave all other problems out and concentrate on placing that bullet in the center. I go home with things to train on, it just makes me feel good. I hope to be shooting a bullseye into my 80s or 90s.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:18 am

I am 74 now, what I have noticed the most is that timing your food intake with your shooting is for more important now than 40 years ago. If I shoot in the Tuesday night club match at 6PM and if I have not eaten since noon, there is a good chance that the Red dot will be dancing all over the repair center. An hour after food and I can see 5 or 6 X's on each target. 

Pay attention to your body and enjoy the game even when a walker is in the mix.
REConley
REConley

dieselguy624 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ak41 Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:24 am

I started shooting BE in 2002 at 61. Made SS in 2008. Scores kept increasing until I got to 70. Nipped at EX but plateaued then started to decrease. I started to hurry my shooting and then acquired a flinch and noticed my area of hold seemed to be shaky. Numerous experiments with trigger length, loads, multiple different red dots, frame mount versus the slide mount for 1 1/2 years didn't solve the issue. Finally, figured I needed to pay more attention to relearning some basics. Grip, accept area aiming and let the gun go off. Also decided to start using the Marine training manual ideas, take whatever time is needed to keep all shots in the black before moving to the next step. Got back some confidence, concentration and a more consistent grip. Actually, shot a pseudo-NM course of fire with 45 with a 274-score last week. Now to start working on the physical conditioning to do it at a match and more consistently.
Al K.

ak41

CR10X and dieselguy624 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:46 am

Perhaps the NRA should consider adding the shooter classification, "Great Grand Senior" for those of us over 75?

Last edited by jwax on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
jwax
jwax

james r chapman, jglenn21 and rckendall like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:30 am

Now 66 and in my 4th season of Bullseye. Shot a bit in my youth, then hardly touched a gun for 40 years.

Not very fit, drink too much, not enough exercise, almost never dry fire, mentor must hate me! But I just keep banging away trying to beat those young, fit, good looking folks (I was never one of them!).

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:52 am

I'm 73 on Monday.  But my downhill from shooting Master level began not from age but from
1. At first, time available.  Work became more and more doing more with less.  More work, less time, less budget, less staff. (I worked 46 years at a tax based public agency)
Forgot to add raising two kids myself.
2. Next was health as my back and shoulder both got surgery from being worn out from work, baseball and tennis. 
3. Then age made it hard to return.  Not only my age, but Mother's too.  Mother is almost 98 and gets the biggest share of my time these days.
Jack H
Jack H

Outthere, chopper and SonOfAGun like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:00 pm

Ok, at 84 I started back into shooting.  I was never a really good Bullseye
shooter, but I do like it.  My opinion is that unless  you do some real working out
designed to help you shooting, you won't like it. That said, it is not evil to shoot with both hands when not competing. You have to work up to one hand eventually, but you can learn or re-learn what your muscles forgot.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:24 pm

Appreciate all the comments!
Shooting BE well appears to be a very individual sort of decline, but is certainly there as we age. Like scientists, we are composed mostly of water, some more than others.Smile
As long as the entertainment is there, forget about scores, and have fun with it!
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by mloo382 Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:10 am

jwax wrote:In doing all we can do to constantly improve our techniques and scores, I'm curious as to what other shooters believe is the "transition age" of declining scores/ability. Apparently there is the inevitable falling off the cliff of not improving/declining ability, but is it at 65? 70? More?
Of course individual results will vary, but what is the consensus, if there even is one?
At what age have you witnessed, in yourself or others, the edge of the cliff?
Discuss.

My old man was in his 70's when he started having like issues

mloo382

Back to top Go down

Post by 22Cool Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:18 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that "the 'transition age' of declining scores/ability" here is MUCH higher than for other physical sports, activities, or challenges based on what I'm reading here.

This is great news and something for me to look forward to since I was worried about how some things are suddenly harder now that I'm in my mid-50s.

Last edited by 22Cool on Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
22Cool
22Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:01 pm

I think there are many factors, not just age. Physical condition fell off for me when covid closed my gym at work. I don't lke sweatshops. I don't have the endurance l used to. Driving 3 hours to a match has a bigger effect on my performance. 
Short course of 1800 are fine. A 2700 indoors is grueling, outdoors is a handful too at 65....But, l know that l have the capability so I keep trying.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Outthere, Arthur and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:52 am

Indeed, this sport of ours has both physical and mental challenges, both declining with our shortening telomeres as we age.
Hitting high scores is rewarding, but just the act of precision shooting is such a hoot that I'll still be doing it when a good day gets me to break 200!
Again, thanks for all the input!
jwax
jwax

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down