Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTB - Larry's "special screwdriver"

+3
james r chapman
rich.tullo
valbern67
7 posters

Go down

WTB - Larry's "special screwdriver" Empty WTB - Larry's "special screwdriver"

Post by valbern67 Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:25 am

Does anyone have a Larry's "special screwdriver" used for adjusting his triggers on the Hammerli X-esse Sport? I can't seem to find mine and need to make some adjustments to my trigger.

If you can't part with yours, can you send the dimensions so I can search for something similar?

I would also pay someone to make one for me!

And Red Feather doesn't have any, nor do they plan to have any more made.

Thanks!

Val
alien
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

WTB - Larry's "special screwdriver" Empty Re: WTB - Larry's "special screwdriver"

Post by rich.tullo Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:40 pm

I bought a long screw driver and ground the shaft , does not look professional but it works.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

WTB - Larry's "special screwdriver" Empty Re: WTB - Larry's "special screwdriver"

Post by james r chapman Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:52 pm

anyone have a scaled picture?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:11 pm

I’ll try and measure mine tomorrow.
I normally use a long narrow screwdriver with correct tip instead of the LGI tool.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:51 pm

You need a 4mm thin-shaft screwdriver, at least 3" long. Unfortunately, almost all 4mm screwdrivers have 4mm shafts. This is too fat to get past the hammer strut to engage the screw. Nobody seems to know what item Larry found, but I made one because my 2nd stage plunger came apart and needed replacement.

4mm hex screwdrivers 100mm long are easy enough to find, for example:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZ5GM0O/

I modified one to get this:

WTB - Larry's "special screwdriver" Img310
WTB - Larry's "special screwdriver" Img410

Note how the shaft is turned down for about 1 1/2", but also that the flanks of the first 1" shaft at the tip are also ground flat. The forward part needs to be flat in order to sneak between the frame and hammer strut to engage the plunger slot, but the center part of the shaft has to be round, so the driver can turn.

It didn't take much time to grind this, well worth it.

BUT...

Let me ask - why do you need to adjust the plunger body? Normally, this is adjusted once and then locked in place. It only needs to be set in relation to the trigger, it isn't the best way to adjust the 2nd stage weight. That is done with a 1.5mm ball-end long allen key, that fits into the center screw which threads into the plunger. So unless the entire assembly has been moved, you really won't need the screwdriver, just an allen key.

This discussion is probably best had on a thread in the Equipment section, not Commercial Row!

Last edited by -TT- on Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
-TT-
-TT-

chopper and Sc0 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by valbern67 Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:33 pm

Let's move it to Equipment!
valbern67
valbern67

james r chapman likes this post

Back to top Go down

WTB - Larry's "special screwdriver" Empty Larry's "special Screwdriver"

Post by valbern67 Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:40 pm

I'm moving this discussion from Commercial Row because I was originally looking to buy a Larry's 'special screwdriver" to make adjustments to my Hämmerli X-esse Sport trigger.

To answer TT's question:
"Let me ask - why do you need to adjust the plunger body? Normally, this is adjusted once and then locked in place. It only needs to be set in relation to the trigger, it isn't the best way to adjust the 2nd stage weight. That is done with a 1.5mm ball-end long allen key, that fits into the center screw which threads into the plunger. So unless the entire assembly has been moved, you really won't need the screwdriver, just an allen key."

The reason I need it is because Walther put the trigger in the new replacement pistol they sent me and therefore needs adjustment to get it like it was when originally installed in my first X-esse. 

Val
alien
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:31 am

I recall using a Snapon electricians screwdriver on a Trailside.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:31 am

The problem with electrician screwdrivers is that they're either 1/8" (3mm) or 3/16" (5mm). The 1/8" blade is too narrow to engage both sides of the slot, so you end up shanking the thing. And the 5/16" is too wide to fit at all. Even the fancy German tools didn't offer a thin-shaft 4mm.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

WTB - Larry's "special screwdriver" Empty screwdriver

Post by mageepeak Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:32 am

A little off topic, I have this screwdriver and need it for my Trailside Larry's trigger. Does anyone have trigger adjustment instructions? Lots of screws to get confused with. Thank you.

Last edited by mageepeak on Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)

mageepeak

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:44 am

-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down