Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BNWC seem to seat crooked; anything I should look at?

+5
PhotoEscape
Jon Eulette
shanneba
bruce martindale
Michael C
9 posters

Go down

BNWC seem to seat crooked; anything I should look at? Empty BNWC seem to seat crooked; anything I should look at?

Post by Michael C Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:17 am

Yesterday evening I was loading Brazo 148g BNWC 38 special on my Dillon 550 for revolver use (Dillon dies).  I was noticing the bullets were seating crooked and the crimp was higher on one side than the other.  I messed around with the expander and put a different brand crimp die (Lee) to see if it was the crimp die.  It seems a little better but I’m still not happy.  I have one of the photo escape expanders on hand to try and swapped that in as well to no avail.  Is it possible my Dillon seating die is off center?  Looking for suggestions of what to check.  

Now… there are two guys that I shoot with who also read this forum and I know they will come on here and say, “buy a Star loader!”  Uggg… J.B. and M.E. give me a break!

Michael C

Back to top Go down

BNWC seem to seat crooked; anything I should look at? Empty Re: BNWC seem to seat crooked; anything I should look at?

Post by bruce martindale Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:49 am

Drill out the seater plug so it contacts only the outer rim of the bullet.

AKA a Masaki seater. Always seats straight. May Not be the best for RN though

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

boatbum101 and Allgoodhits like this post

Back to top Go down

BNWC seem to seat crooked; anything I should look at? Empty Re: BNWC seem to seat crooked; anything I should look at?

Post by Michael C Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:13 pm

Bruce, I will double check but the Dillon seater is set up to switch between RN bullets and WC/SWC as the insert can flip around 180 degrees.  I could have it in backwards I suppose.

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:14 pm

Are you using the SWC or Round nose Dillion seater? 
Have you checked it for lead/lube build up?
I believe the current Dillion dies allow you to change the seater by removing it and flipping it over.
(older Dillon dies sets also included both seater stems)

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael C Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:26 pm

Just double checked, I have the SWC seater in and it’s seating off the shoulder.

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:34 pm

Buy a Star Mike! Buy a Star……..
😂 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

boatbum101 and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael C Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:42 pm

Ummm, make that three buddies that will just tell me to buy a Star!

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:52 pm

With all do respect to the three buddies of yours (including one of my own), you do not need to buy a Star for proper seating of your bullets.  Your issue is case expansion and the fact that bullets have beveled base.  I suggest you trying one of my WC specific PTUs if you are seating bullets relatively deep or one of the 9/38-HTC PTUs (depending on OD of your bullets) if you do not care about base swagging.  In your case that would be DEWC version of WC PTU or choice of HTC based on bullet's OD.  Keep in mind that you might need to use Lee FCD - that depends on depth of seating and brass cases you are using.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael C Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:52 pm

AP those guys just like giving me a hard time because I refuse to buy a Star.  I am pretty happy with both my 550’s (one set up for small primers; one for large).  So, I actually have your HBWC PTU but I assumed I should not use it for BNWC.  I’ll take a look at those on your website.  The PTU I switched in was also your HTC sized at .3585 per my calipers.
Mike

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:31 pm

Michael C wrote:AP those guys just like giving me a hard time because I refuse to buy a Star.  I am pretty happy with both my 550’s (one set up for small primers; one for large).  So, I actually have your HBWC PTU but I assumed I should not use it for BNWC.  I’ll take a look at those on your website.  The PTU I switched in was also your HTC sized at .3585 per my calipers.
Mike
Mike,
Please clarify - are you using HTC PTU in .358" for Brazos you have, and bullets still are seating "crooked"?  HBWC PTU would be too much for Brazos, unless you requested them to be sized in 0.359" (which is an option according to Brazos website).  Still you would need to back off HBWC PTU in order to avoid over expansion of cases depth wise.  Bullets would just drop down deeper in the case otherwise.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1911a145 Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:35 pm

From pistol shooters treasury

1911a145

Back to top Go down

Post by 1911a145 Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:36 pm

Star
Attachments
BNWC seem to seat crooked; anything I should look at? Attachment
1BF98DF9-EBC8-4987-89F2-A0FAA70EAD9F.jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(92 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

1911a145

Back to top Go down

Post by 1911a145 Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:38 pm

Ultimate in reloading
Attachments
BNWC seem to seat crooked; anything I should look at? Attachment
15891E2A-E184-424E-8108-3546AFB75244.jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(76 Kb) Downloaded 2 times

1911a145

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:56 pm

1911a145 wrote:Ultimate in reloading
There is no such thing as "ultimate" in reloading.  Star is a good platform.  I have two of them, and for that matter load 38 DEWC on one of them.  Star has solid base, and cases seat on it, as opposed to shell plate that can flex affecting OAL of resulting ammo.  And it has massive toolhead, that is rock solid.  However Star is not very forgiving platform and require way more attention to every movement during loading.  It will drop powder regardless of case being present in charging station.  Any issue with priming can lead to unintentional shell plate rotation, and subsequent no charge dropped.  And it is way slower then true progressive press. 

However, IMHO, resolution to issue posted by OP isn't best addressed by another reloading press.  Coincidentally DA/SA just posted another thread regarding loading same bullets.  His issue boils down to accuracy and suggested loads as opposed to problems with loading ammo.  Maybe this forum member can chime in with information regarding his reloading gear.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1911a145 Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:05 pm

If you couldn’t tell I’m semi joking

1911a145

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:14 pm

Star Reloader; load ammo shoot 10, repeat. Dry fire, go to range shoot 10……high master shooter instead of high master reloader ROFLMAO
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Michael C likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:18 pm

Greetings,

Since Dillon does not offer custom machining, consider this option.

Buy a spare seating insert. Coat the inside of the seating die with a release agent. Mix up a small amount of JB Weld and fill the insert. Take a bullet, also coated with release agent, that is seated true and slip it in the insert and die. Once cured, leave it overnight, tap it out and clean away any flash/burrs.

Be sure to use the exact same bullet you plan to load with. Also, use a dummy loaded cartridge.

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by fc60 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More details.)
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by 1911a145 Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:23 pm

Dillon -50 points

1911a145

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael C Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:04 pm

I took the seating stem out and it looks like that is the issue. I swapped in another I have as a spare. I loaded one dummy round and all seems good now.
AP, I still think I should get the correct PTU.

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:23 pm

Michael C wrote:I took the seating stem out and it looks like that is the issue.  I swapped in another I have as a spare.  I loaded one dummy round and all seems good now.  
AP, I still think I should get the correct PTU.  
The ultimate test, is will they shoot at fifty yards?  

My personal opinion I think the 550 has too much play in it, and case mouth expansion at the powder drop is hit or miss.  The long 158g bullet absolutely must go in perfectly straight for decent accuracy at the fifty.   I don’t think Star is the only press that will do it. A Dillon 1050 or 1100 with Redding dies and a Lyman M die in the primer pocket swaging station, if properly set up will work well too.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:11 pm

Expand your cases do not flare them. Get a Universal Case expander and Custom plug. I would go with this one.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/bullet-casting-reloading/expanders/expander-plug-pistol/359-x-355-p-ap-exp-plug/
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down