Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revolvers in Bullseye?

+23
Russ OR
Star loader
Allgoodhits
john bickar
Foundryratjim
Wobbley
LenV
WesG
Slamfire
inthebeech
Jack H
bruce martindale
chiz1180
Tim:H11
SingleActionAndrew
troystaten
fc60
chopper
dannyd93140
Merick
Jon Eulette
james r chapman
L. Boscoe
27 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Revolvers in Bullseye? - Page 2 Empty Revolvers in Bullseye?

Post by L. Boscoe 9/3/2022, 2:06 am

First topic message reminder :

I have not seen any comments on folks using revolvers in BE competition.  Not good enough?

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Revolvers in Bullseye? - Page 2 Empty Re: Revolvers in Bullseye?

Post by Tim:H11 9/4/2022, 3:06 am

bruce martindale wrote:I think you need a strong grip for DA shooting, like what you get with a Zins grip; your hand is cranked around the grip and your finger is deep in the guard. It gives a lot of leverage on the trigger. Otherworldly se, for SA RF, put your thumb on the hammer THEN grip the gun. Guaranteed you can reach the hammer

I freak everyone out when I show them how I break my grip to cock the gun then re-grip during sustained fire lol

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 9/4/2022, 5:07 am

In the early 70s I was training under LTC Miller.  Coach had me shooting primarily the HS fluted barrel that we fixed up with a near Freepistol type grip.  Second most emphasized pistol was the 38 Colt OMM SAO.  I wish I still had that OMM.  Best SF gun I ever had.  Second best SF gun is my present S&W 1955 Model 45.  (Of course 50 years older might be a factor now)
Jack H
Jack H

dannyd93140 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 9/4/2022, 5:13 pm

Tim:H11 wrote:
bruce martindale wrote:I think you need a strong grip for DA shooting, like what you get with a Zins grip; your hand is cranked around the grip and your finger is deep in the guard. It gives a lot of leverage on the trigger. Otherworldly se, for SA RF, put your thumb on the hammer THEN grip the gun. Guaranteed you can reach the hammer

I freak everyone out when I show them how I break my grip to cock the gun then re-grip during sustained fire lol
 Jason, I do the same thing when I cock the gun. I'm using small Pachmayr Presentation grips now and it's making it easier for me when regripping.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech 9/5/2022, 11:47 am

[quote="Merick"]

Ceteris paribus 
[/quote]
I had to look that up.  I the event I'm not the only one...
It means "all other things being equal."
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire 9/5/2022, 1:13 pm

I find shooting rapid fire or timed fire extremely difficult with my K frame S&W. I initially tried double action, pulling the trigger till I felt the mainspring stack, and then pulling through. Way too much movement as the hammer fell. I really don't know how anyone could hold the black shooting double action as the front sight wanders all over the place.

I have not taken out any of my Colts, but the Colts I own don't stack, the double action pull is more consistent all the way to hammer fall.

So how did the good pistol shooters operate their revolvers during TF and RF?

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/5/2022, 3:30 pm

Slamfire wrote:I find shooting rapid fire or timed fire extremely difficult with my K frame S&W. I initially tried double action, pulling the trigger till I felt the mainspring stack, and then pulling through. Way too much movement as the hammer fell. I really don't know how anyone could hold the black shooting double action as the front sight wanders all over the place.

I have not taken out any of my Colts, but the Colts I own don't stack, the double action pull is more consistent all the way to hammer fall.

Re-read what Tim wrote. He’s better than “good”
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 9/5/2022, 6:02 pm

fc60 wrote:
SingleActionAndrew wrote:
dannyd93140 wrote:Well I guess I asked the wrong question; is it legal to use single action for rapid fire?
But you still can't touch the gun after commence firing with your (not a) support hand. The shooter would cock the revolver with the shooting hand, while held by that same shooting hand.
Greetings,

Would you kindly quote the NRA Precision Pistol rule?

Reading comprehension is my weak suit and I cannot find it.

Cheers,

Dave

I thought sure the 'off' hand can't touch the gun, but I found nothing in either the NRA or CMP rule books.

The only thing that would apply, I think, is that the non shooting hand could not be rested on the bench between shots as that would be considered artificial support.

Re rotating the hand around the grip and pushing the trigger finger deep into the guard, it's the only way I can get my thumb on the hammer without nearly letting go of the gun completely with what might be considered a proper grip for a SA.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 9/5/2022, 6:49 pm

Because we are moving down this road; can you shoot a center fire bullseye match with single action revolver?  Ruger Blackhawk per say.
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 9/5/2022, 6:53 pm

dannyd93140 wrote:Because we are moving down this road; can you shoot a center fire bullseye match with single action revolver?  Ruger Blackhawk per say.
So long as it meets the rules for a centerfire pistol, no reason you can not.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 9/6/2022, 5:49 am

dannyd93140 wrote:Because we are moving down this road; can you shoot a center fire bullseye match with single action revolver?  Ruger Blackhawk per say.
Yes. But, prepare to be rushed." With 5 rounds load "takes on a whole new level of stress.
LenV
LenV

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/6/2022, 5:20 pm

LenV wrote:
Yes. But, prepare to be rushed." With 5 rounds load "takes on a whole new level of stress.
Pull the cylinder and load them on the bench.  Then when they say “load” just drop in the cylinder and reseat the axis pin.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foundryratjim 9/6/2022, 6:03 pm

Wobbley wrote:
LenV wrote:
Pull the cylinder and load them on the bench.  Then when they say “load” just drop in the cylinder and reseat the axis pin.
Reading this gave me a chuckle. I have a Ruger Old Army cap and ball that I am pretty good with. The guys I shoot with would go nuts if I used it...

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 9/6/2022, 7:12 pm

LenV wrote:

I never felt rushed to load a cylinder.  I don't know why this is ever an issue.  If a loader needs a few seconds more, give the time.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 9/7/2022, 12:38 am

WesG wrote:
fc60 wrote:
SingleActionAndrew wrote:
dannyd93140 wrote:Well I guess I asked the wrong question; is it legal to use single action for rapid fire?
But you still can't touch the gun after commence firing with your (not a) support hand. The shooter would cock the revolver with the shooting hand, while held by that same shooting hand.
Greetings,

Would you kindly quote the NRA Precision Pistol rule?

Reading comprehension is my weak suit and I cannot find it.

Cheers,

Dave

I thought sure the 'off' hand can't touch the gun, but I found nothing in either the NRA or CMP rule books.

The only thing that would apply, I think, is that the non shooting hand could not be rested on the bench between shots as that would be considered artificial support.

Re rotating the hand around the grip and pushing the trigger finger deep into the guard, it's the only way I can get my thumb on the hammer without nearly letting go of the gun completely with what might be considered a proper grip for a SA.

Well, you won't get an allowable refire if your off-hand touches the gun when you have a malfunction. (And this is all the colloquial "you," not Wes or Dave or Andrew or Danny.)

However, I'm struggling to see the advantage of cocking the hammer with your off-hand to shoot single action for bullseye. Are you going to shoot like Josey Wales? Or just look like a monkey f***ing a football during Timed and Rapid Fire?

People definitely do it that way in ISSF Center Fire Pistol (and I presume Sport Pistol, but I don't think I've ever seen a Junior or a woman shoot Sport Pistol with a Revolver), but you have 7 seconds to cock the hammer between individual shots in the rapid fire stage for that event.

I would enjoy seeing someone do that in bullseye. Take video for me if you see it! Laughing
john bickar
john bickar

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 9/7/2022, 2:47 am

Revolvers in BE?  Here are my RF, CF and .45. I shoot everything DA.
.22 and .45 have Shilen barrels, .38 is a Krieger.

The .22 has the heaviest DA trigger pull at about 8 lbs. Otherwise, I get misfires. The .38 is right at 7 lbs. The .45 now has a Revupaction hammer and it starts DA at about 5.5 lbs, then eases to about 3 lbs at break. Personally, I think revolvers are easier, especially when shooting DA. My brain can process aim and keep the trigger moving, better than it can process, gradually increase pressure until the shot breaks. All three of these guns have butter smooth actions.

Accuracy? The .22 will shoot under an inch at 50 yds. The .38 and .45 about 1.75 - 2.00" at 50.

All done by Sandy Garrett of NVGW, Inc in Springfield, VA
Attachments
Revolvers in Bullseye? - Page 2 Attachment
20211229_181239.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(3.1 Mb) Downloaded 55 times
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

knightimac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Revolvers in Bullseye? - Page 2 Empty Harry Reeve

Post by Star loader 9/7/2022, 11:42 am

If my memory serves me correctly Mr. Harry Reeve was the first th break 2600 .he did  it 5/6 years before anyone else and did it with revolvers .

Star loader

Back to top Go down

Revolvers in Bullseye? - Page 2 Empty Rev T&R dry fire practice

Post by Russ OR 9/7/2022, 1:36 pm

T&R dry fire practice with a revolver: 
Wedge the right size/shape piece of Truck tire inner tube in where the hammer falls & have at it. 
I shot a JM625 for CF and 45 in several matches-pre-loaded full moon clips- Fun.
Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 9/7/2022, 7:59 pm

inthebeech wrote:
Merick wrote:

Ceteris paribus 
I had to look that up.  I the event I'm not the only one...
It means "all other things being equal."

If you hear it in an economics course it means "this will be on the exam"

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 9/7/2022, 8:56 pm

Star loader wrote:If my memory serves me correctly Mr. Harry Reeve was the first th break 2600 .he did  it 5/6 years before anyone else and did it with revolvers .

According to NRA's 2600 Club Roster, Reeves shot 2600 in 1940. I could find no other 2600 Club entry until 1950. I am not sure how comprehensive these lists are, but there are 2600, 2650 and 2670 lists.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Star loader 9/7/2022, 9:28 pm

I did not realize it was that long. I made it in 1984 along with Distinguish Pistol
Had to shoot a real ball gun with ammo issued on line.

Star loader

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/7/2022, 10:19 pm

Star loader wrote:I did not realize it was that long. I made it in 1984 along with Distinguish  Pistol
Had to shoot a real ball gun with ammo issued on line.
What was the lowest score you saw get points?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Star loader 9/7/2022, 10:42 pm

Low 270's

Star loader

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 9/7/2022, 11:20 pm

I set myself a challenge for our State Championship in October.  I'll shoot the 22 EIC with a revolver.  We'll see how many rounds I save in RF!

I've been shooting metallic sights with a 22, Model 14, and 1911 until I get my badges in each, then I switch to a revolver.  Got my 22 badge in June, so now I'm going M17, M14, 1911.  In October, someone agreed to loan me a 25-2 so I can shoot a whole 2700 revolver.  

Gotta have fun!

Soupy44

Fotomaniac, SingleActionAndrew and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire 9/18/2022, 2:36 pm

james r chapman wrote:
Slamfire wrote:I find shooting rapid fire or timed fire extremely difficult with my K frame S&W. I initially tried double action, pulling the trigger till I felt the mainspring stack, and then pulling through. Way too much movement as the hammer fell. I really don't know how anyone could hold the black shooting double action as the front sight wanders all over the place.

Re-read what Tim wrote. He’s better than “good”

Maybe I missed it, but where is a description of the double action trigger pull. Did they pull through, or stack the trigger?

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 9/18/2022, 6:08 pm

Soupy44 wrote:I set myself a challenge for our State Championship in October.  I'll shoot the 22 EIC with a revolver.  We'll see how many rounds I save in RF!

I've been shooting metallic sights with a 22, Model 14, and 1911 until I get my badges in each, then I switch to a revolver.  Got my 22 badge in June, so now I'm going M17, M14, 1911.  In October, someone agreed to loan me a 25-2 so I can shoot a whole 2700 revolver.  

Gotta have fun!
Been there. Still try to do that. Go with oldies.. no dash 17, 14-6, 25-2 .Revolvers in Bullseye? - Page 2 20190314
LenV
LenV

knightimac and SingleActionAndrew like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next