Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullets: Bevel face vs flat face

+5
Wobbley
DA/SA
bruce martindale
jglenn21
Orion
9 posters

Go down

Bullets: Bevel face vs flat face Empty Bullets: Bevel face vs flat face

Post by Orion Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:56 am

Ordering some 180gr 45 from Brazos.

What’s the difference / what do you prefer between these two types of bullets?

https://www.brazosprecision.com/45-Auto_c_11.html
Orion
Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

Back to top Go down

Bullets: Bevel face vs flat face Empty Re: Bullets: Bevel face vs flat face

Post by jglenn21 Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:37 am

As far as accuracy i don't see any real difference. Personally i prefer flat base.. the bevel based are easier to load i guess but I've had no issues loading flat based with the right dies we have today
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:55 am

That bullet (the 160gr) has a short bearing surface so go with the flat base.

For others, in general, bevel based designs solve problems you didn't know you had....

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

ric1911a1 and sayracin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:57 am

Bevel base may work better if you are using a bullet feeder system. 

Other than that I prefer flat base, if the case is prepped properly, for the slightly greater bearing area.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Orion Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:23 pm

I’ll go with a bevel base. What diameter would you recommend for a Les Baer wadcutter - 0.452, 0.453, 0.454?
Orion
Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:12 pm

.452.  .454 may have chambering issues and .453 is on the edge.  95% of 45 pistol barrels have .451 groove diameters so .452 will do just fine.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Orion and ric1911a1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:09 pm

.454 for revolvers
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

sayracin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:22 am

Unless its my first Colt SAA. Throats were. 457 .... Yeah, it had a leading problem.

Just my opinion, but I think the bevel base solves a possible issue with 'finnng', or incomplete fill on cast bullets that would effect accuracy.

WesG

Moose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:24 am

Orion wrote:Ordering some 180gr 45 from Brazos.

Here's my $.02.

I like Brazos bullets, period. I do wish they would offer different colors in their HiTek line.  I used to use another brand of quality HiTek coated bullets and I would order 200 gr bullets in a different color than their 185 gr bullets. I would order other bullets in different colors based on size.... .356 vs .357. Having said that, here is what I do with Brazos bullets.

200 gr bullets are all BB. I don't think they offer the 200 gr bullet in FB. I use 200 gr BB bullets

180 gr bullets, I order as Flat Base. I really don't find them superior to 180 BB, but since I use both, this is an instant tactile and visual difference between the two. As important, I can close my eyes and determine the difference by feel between the bullets. I use a bullet feeder on a Dillon. The FB bullets work just fine, if the bell or flare of the case mouth is correct. I set the bell for FB bullets, then the BB bullets are fine too. The reverse may not be true.

I use the same powder charge for both 180 and 200 gr bullets. The 200s are used at 50 yds, the 180s at 25 with same charge. The feel is noticeably different. For me, I would rather change bullets, than change powder charges from SL to LL. I also use the same bullet seating depth by the die. IOW, I do not change it. I end up, using a 
Redding Competition Seating die and a Lee Factory crimp Die with the length from the base to the driving band shelf at about .0925 pretty consistent. As for crimp, I remove the flare. That is all. As best I can determine, I get around .470. 

Powders I use are Clays, VV N310, WST and VV N320. All work well. Anything worse than a ten, is caused by me, not the load, nor the gun. I think Clays, VV N310 and WST are superior to VV N320 in .45 acp with these weight lead bullets, but N320 works fine too.

The above works for me, YRMV
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

james r chapman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:53 pm

Allgoodhits wrote:

200 gr bullets are all BB. I don't think they offer the 200 gr bullet in FB. I use 200 gr BB bullets

180 gr bullets, I order as Flat Base. I really don't find them superior to 180 BB, but since I use both, this is an instant tactile and visual difference between the two. As important, I can close my eyes and determine the difference by feel between the bullets…

I also use the same bullet seating depth by the die...

Die with the length from the base to the driving band shelf at about .0925 pretty consistent…

Powders I use are Clays, VV N310, WST and VV N320…

Exactly I the same set up as this. 

Allgoodhits, what charge are you throwing with WST? I have a lot of it, but using up bullseye that I have first.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:06 pm

RodJ wrote:
Allgoodhits wrote:

180 gr bullets, I order as Flat Base. I really don't find them superior to 180 BB, but since I use both, this is an instant tactile and visual difference between the two. As important, I can close my eyes and determine the difference by feel between the bullets…

I also use the same bullet seating depth by the die...

Die with the length from the base to the driving band shelf at about .0925 pretty consistent…

Powders I use are Clays, VV N310, WST and VV N320…

Exactly I the same set up as this. 

Allgoodhits, what charge are you throwing with WST? I have a lot of it, but using up bullseye that I have first.
I find 3.8 - 4.1 WST is an excellent range. In revolver 3.8 is fine with either bullet, although the with 3.8 the 200s are more accurate at 50 yds. With slide mounted scope on my 1911, 3.8 is fine with 200s, but the 180s are sluggish ejecting. Brass just falls out of the gun. Therefore, for auto I run 4.0 for both 180 and 200's. I have not chronoed them. WST to me is a pleasant powder in that the impulse is not sharp and the noise seems less "blasting" than some other powders. What I don't like about WST is that tiny particles sift through my powder measure, like light gray dust, onto my loading bench, and I find it appears to be more static electricity sensitive than other powders I have used. I use used dryer sheets (Bounce) to wipe down the inside of the powder funnels periodically. This helps a great deal.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Orion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:44 pm

Thank you!

RodJ

Allgoodhits likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content