Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning and repair kits for travel

+8
DA/SA
John Dervis
paulj
RodJ
SteveT
sbtzc
zanemoseley
lyoke
12 posters

Go down

Cleaning and repair kits for travel  Empty Cleaning and repair kits for travel

Post by lyoke 10/23/2022, 2:20 pm

Trying to keep my gear compact as I fly to most matches. Looking for an organizational solution for my cleaning and repair kit (Pardini firing pins, springs, etc.)

I have some single pistol cases to store loose odds and ends but it's makeshift. 

Any thoughts or what works for you would be appreciated!

lyoke

Back to top Go down

Cleaning and repair kits for travel  Empty Re: Cleaning and repair kits for travel

Post by zanemoseley 10/23/2022, 4:06 pm

Small tackle boxes maybe.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Cleaning and repair kits for travel  Empty Re: Cleaning and repair kits for travel

Post by sbtzc 10/23/2022, 5:09 pm

Three ring pencil bag(s).
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 10/23/2022, 5:19 pm

I have a medium sized Plano divider "tackle" box similar to this one, it is about 7" front to back, so it fits perfectly in the bottom of my Gun Ho box. It has small bottles of cleaner, patches, swabs, brushes, jags, a patchworm pull-through cleaner, a few spare parts (fitted extractor, firing pin, firing pin stop), bushing wrench, allen wrenches, a few other tools and a couple of 2032 batteries. With the screwdriver and oil that is elsewhere in the gun box, it is everything I need to field strip and clean any of my guns.

I cut a notch out of the top edge of the dividers across the back of the box so the lid can close with the cleaning rod across there.
Cleaning and repair kits for travel  Img_4211
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Schaumannk and Thin Man like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lyoke 10/23/2022, 6:19 pm

Awesome! Thank you!

lyoke

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 10/23/2022, 7:35 pm

Awesome ideas. I like the three ring binder zipper pouch too.

Anyone comfortable with their oil bottle not leaking? I’ve gone to a needle oiler tip plastic bottle with a little cap. Not convinced yet. Breakfree bottle always seems to leak if in its side.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by paulj 10/23/2022, 8:33 pm

My needle oiler is in a ziplock bag for extra insurance.

paulj

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 10/23/2022, 8:46 pm

paulj wrote:My needle oiler is in a ziplock bag for extra insurance.
 I’ll second that. The small bottles will fit inside one of the snack size bags so if the bottle does leak, it’s contained. 

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 10/23/2022, 8:51 pm

John Dervis wrote: I’ll second that. The small bottles will fit inside one of the snack size bags so if when the bottle does leak, it’s contained. 
Fixed it!  Cool
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc 10/23/2022, 10:22 pm

RodJ wrote:Anyone comfortable with their oil bottle not leaking?  I’ve gone to a needle oiler tip plastic bottle with a little cap. Not convinced yet. Breakfree bottle always seems to leak if in its side.

Prescription medication bottle
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 10/24/2022, 4:35 am

The small Nalgene bottle in the picture doesn't leak. The Gunzilla squirt bottle does leak so I only keep it about 1/4 - 1/3 full so the liquid level is below the neck. Vertical storage would be better.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 10/24/2022, 6:09 am

My oil bottle is a Brownells needle oiler.  It is separate from the rest of my cleaning gear as I sometimes use it on the line.  I put adhesive-backed velcro loop around it and have the hook stuck to the side of my box by the pistol muzzles.
Cleaning kit is a Lyman multi-caliber our league gave for awards a few years ago.

Last edited by NukeMMC on 10/24/2022, 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 10/24/2022, 8:51 am

I use a few of the plastic slide top .22 CCI boxes and some Hornady flip top bullet boxes for my extras.  I also use a medicine bottle as mentioned earlier to hold my small CLP bottle.  I have a needle oiler (in one of the CCI boxes), but while it doesn't leak, every time I take the cap off, too much oil flows out immediately.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett 10/26/2022, 4:41 pm

I have a 5 pistol Gun-Ho box.  I use 2 of the smallest Sterilite boxes and one the next size up.  One holds my small parts for pistols and the other small box holds my Smoky Joe, carbide in a tiny jelly jar, flints, and a lighter (just in case), one bottle of bore cleaner and finally one bottle of oil.  The larger box holds my Hammerli magazines for my Essex since they are plastic.  They all fit under the tray shelf.  I also use one small box in my tray that goes under the muzzle end of my pistols that holds my blinders, occluder, overlays, and some 2032 batteries.  As a disclaimer I never carry more than 3 pistols in my box as it gets to damn heavy.  For ammo, stapler, pasties (yeah, I need them), bench towel, and other misc I have a Husky tool bag that has 2 pouches on each end and several side pouches on the long sides.  As far as cleaning rods, bushing wrench and such they also just ride loose in the bottom of the box in front of the 3 plastic boxes.  As a side note: the smallest of the Sterlite boxes holds a full brick of loose 22 ammo!

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by OldWheelgunner45 12/31/2022, 1:30 pm

Small tackle boxes should work.

OldWheelgunner45

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down