Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRA, Use and abuse of our dollars

+18
tovaert
Sc0
Slamfire
lonegunman
Kermit Workman
spursnguns
dannyd93140
SaraiEsq
BE Mike
CR10X
L Valdez
PhotoEscape
zanemoseley
xman
Colt711
messenger
chopper
Multiracer
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

NRA, Use and abuse of our dollars - Page 2 Empty NRA, Use and abuse of our dollars

Post by Multiracer Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:03 am

First topic message reminder :

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2022/10/24/ny-suit-lapierre-files-his-answer/

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

NRA, Use and abuse of our dollars - Page 2 Empty Re: NRA, Use and abuse of our dollars

Post by Allgoodhits Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:08 pm

dannyd93140 wrote:40 years ago Bullseye Shooter's were Not the most friendly bunch, most of the guy's in their late 20's and early 30's went and found other people to shoot matches with.  That's why Bullseye has the recruitment problem today.

I was a match director for the NRA Hunter's Pistol back in the late 80's and early 90's; we definitely didn't get much backing from the NRA.  So that just disappeared after a while.

The run and gun guy's are definitely way more friendly and helpful if a person wants to get started.  Weather that's Cowboy action or USPSA, but the one thing young people today don't have is the time or money to play and practice like the old guy's of yesterday.  

So your going to see the ranks getting smaller and smaller.
Personally, I have not experienced this. However, over the years I have heard this numerous times. I have had good friends who shot one BE match, claimed they were treated that way, and that was the end of BE for them. 

I believe, IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, Steel Challenge, NRA Action Pistol (Bianchi Cup) are more conducive to friendly chatter. In those games, groups of 4-12 people are squaded and they rotate together to the various events. While 1-4 of them are shooting, the others are waiting to shoot. This enables chatter. During a BE type match other than prep, scoring and hanging targets, it is just not as conducive as the other games for chatter among other folks compared to these other games.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

NRA, Use and abuse of our dollars - Page 2 Empty Re: NRA, Use and abuse of our dollars

Post by dannyd93140 Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:38 pm

Should have been with the day I shot the Steel Challenge dressed as a cowboy with my single actions.   Everyone made good fun at me to start with but they did get quite towards the end of the match.  Wink
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:59 pm

If you think bullseye was unfriendly 40 years ago, I can attest that there were some unfriendly smallbore rifle shooters back then too!

That said, there is a tendency for some to try to “get in the zone” mentally and then, when they do, to be gruff when people try to interact with them.  Whatever your style I guess, but I learned to be able to turn “the zone” on and off so I was only in that mental state when shooting.  Basically from prep time til the last shot.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:00 am

Wobbley wrote:If you think bullseye was unfriendly 40 years ago, I can attest that there were some unfriendly smallbore rifle shooters back then too!

That said, there is a tendency for some to try to “get in the zone” mentally and then, when they do, to be gruff when people try to interact with them.  Whatever your style I guess, but I learned to be able to turn “the zone” on and off so I was only in that mental state when shooting.  Basically from prep time til the last shot.
The first guy's I talked to were not shooting a match it was just on a Saturday morning because the only pistol range we had was the Bullseye range.  Later found out they just didn't want any younger competitors challenging them. Made friends with both of them before they died; running me off to the silhouette line was great for me had a lot of fun.
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2