Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on shot process

3 posters

Go down

Question on shot process Empty Question on shot process

Post by RichardTerp95 Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:01 pm

Let me preface this by saying I'm a fairly new shooter (about a year) shooting 22 only with red dot.  I feel I'm finally getting to the point where a lot of what more experienced shooters are talking about regarding the shot process is staring to make sense.  The shot process feels like it's slowing down for me and I can see and feel more of what is happening during the shot.

Do most shooters raise, go directly to the center, wait to settle and then execute the shot or do you start somewhere above or below the bull to set up and then move to the center and execute?

RichardTerp95

Back to top Go down

Question on shot process Empty Re: Question on shot process

Post by RodJ Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:11 pm

Good question - I asked the same down near the bottom of this thread and got lots of good information on options and the reasons one might consider one or another. Scroll down to Dec 8 where Jon Eulette comments on it and then keep reading to the end (at least as far as it goes today).

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20495p25-the-wrist-food-for-thought#177249

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardTerp95 Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:15 pm

Thanks!!!

RichardTerp95

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardTerp95 Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:27 pm

I reviewed the other thread and it's not really getting at what I'm asking.  I'm not asking about bringing the gun from the bench to the target.  I understand the initial raise and dropping to the target.  I'm trying to ask about once you're on the target do you go to center immediately or do you set up somewhere above or below the bull and slowly move to center to complete the shot.

RichardTerp95

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:40 pm

Ahhh gotcha. I have thoughts but as you may tell by my other question, I am still learning so will watch and read replies and learn along with you!

Edit: I may be confused but once you’re “on target”, to my mind you’d be settled and finishing your trigger squeeze releasing the shot while you’re wandering around in the smallest area of movement that your hold allows. But I suspect I’m going to learn something or some nuance that has escaped my understanding.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:42 pm

"Dropping to the target" should be continuous to hovering over the center at the same time as operating the trigger, such that the firing of the shot happens as the natural hover is at its smallest variance over the bull.  It will not be stationary, but the trigger should not disturb any of the natural settle.  You should not stage anywhere.  This would be detrimental to recovering to the bull in sustained fire.  Slow fire should be consistent with sustained in as much as possible, even it only firing one shot per raise.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Thin Man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardTerp95 Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:18 pm

Got it.  That makes sense.  Thanks Ed.

RichardTerp95

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content