Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do

+7
bruce martindale
zanemoseley
John Dervis
Steve K
Ray Dash
james r chapman
pfeathers
11 posters

Go down

What to do Empty What to do

Post by pfeathers Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:00 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed, I did a search and could not find anything relevent.  

As a participator in a match, if you witness a major safety violation in progress, what do you do?  

Let's say you are at a match, and people are gathering at their stations.  Folks are putting their gunboxes in place, maybe load up some magazines, setup their scope, number their targets etc.   Nobody touches their guns in the box or bag until the 3 minute prep.  People are downrange hanging their targets.  The range officer is busy answering someone's question further down the line.  All of a sudden a couple of stations down from you,  you see a new guy open up his bag and bring out his pistol.  The gun is in battery and he is pointing it down range where peope are hanging targets.  

What do you you do.  Run over to the range officer and tell him about the event?   Do nothing and hope the gun does not go bang?  Do you shout sometime like "STOP" or "GUN ON THE RANGE" or"PUT THE GUN DOWN".  

I need some help here.  I saw this happen out of the corner of my eye, and by the time I turned to verify what I was seeing, the guy had put the gun on the table and his hand was off the gun.  I walked over to the guy and asked him to please step away from his gun, that people are downrange and handling a gun at this time is a safety violation and extremely dangerous.  

This is really bothering me and I need some advice from some seasoned shooters.  What do you do when you see a dangerous situation in progress and you are the only one that is privy to it?  Is their a standard acceptable procedure to such a situation.  

THanks.

pfeathers

Back to top Go down

What to do Empty Re: What to do

Post by james r chapman Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:04 pm

what you did was appropriate.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:30 pm

I swear I have to tell someone that almost every time I go to the range. I started feeling like the "range nazi" but there is no way if I see that happening that I am not going to say something. Last time this happened it was one of the NRA range instructors doing it while he was showing a new guy how to handle his weapon. I was floored to say the least.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve K Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:20 pm

I've seen several "unloaded" guns go off. Make noise and tell the violator to put his gun down. If you make a stink it may hit home and prevent an accident down the road. As one Club member stated, "We only need one accident to close the range for good".

Steve K

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:08 pm

Your actions were appropriate. Since the event was over there is no point in yelling or carrying on about it but going over to him and making a safety point about it got the message across.  It sounds like you are somewhat new yourself so good job going with your gut feeling.

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:09 pm

Sounds like you handled it properly. If they do it again let the RO know and let them handle it.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:08 am

Good. Further infractions need club lever discipline and maybe even expulsion . We notice newer participants are careful, it's some of the old fux that refuse to comply. One even fired a shot the length of the firing line. They're a problem.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by whitez06 Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:37 am

At our range, we have flashing lights that are on when shooters arrive. Our range officer is in the range officer's shed, and as they arrive, he announces that the lights are on and no one is to handle any weapon. They may put their boxes on the bench, and do whatever prep they can accomplish WITHOUT REMOVING THE WEAPON. 
Furthermore our range personal are already online.
They can remove their weapons when the range officer directs them
Violators given one chance, no more

whitez06

Back to top Go down

Post by pfeathers Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:31 am

Thanks for all the comments.  I read through the rules and the only thing I could find is:

"Competitors are expected to promptly call the attention of proper officials to any infraction of rules of safety or good sportsmanship.  Failure of a competitor to cooperate in any case arising out of infractions of these rules may result in the said competitor being considered as an accessory to the offense. "

I guess I am just a little surprised that there is not a protocol for a competitor to call the line not safe if he sees a potentially deadly infraction. And, every time I go down range to hang a target, I am going to be wondering in the back of my mind of there is someone fiddling with their gun.

pfeathers

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:17 pm

pfeathers wrote:
I guess I am just a little surprised that there is not a protocol for a competitor to call the line not safe if he sees a potentially deadly infraction. And, every time I go down range to hang a target, I am going to be wondering in the back of my mind of there is someone fiddling with their gun.
I wouldn't be comfortable either if people were at the bench tinkering with things when I was down range.

At my range nobody is allowed near the bench when the range is cold. You can only approach the bench when the range is clear and called "hot".
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Webb Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:39 pm

Anyone on the range has the right to call out an unsafe situation. A bullet hole in someone inflicts much more pain and suffering than "hurt feelings". If witnessing someone handling a gun when people are down range, loudly and sternly say "STOP HANDLING THE GUN NOW!" PC snowflake protocol doesn't apply to the gun range. Their feelings will heal, a gunshot wound may not.

Dan Webb

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pfeathers Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:01 pm

I could not find the words that made any sense, but "STOP HANDLING THE GUN NOW" loudly and sternly is perfect.

pfeathers

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:31 am

Good way to say it, and loudly enough for both the violator and an RO to hear it!
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum