Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you could choose any pistol for 50' bullseye...

+18
Packeagle
NukeMMC
TimSB
Dcforman
Olde Pilot
JHHolliday
Russ OR
Jon Eulette
chiz1180
BE Mike
Wobbley
rkittine
mspingeld
RoyDean
BruceV
SingleActionAndrew
zanemoseley
CalJ
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

If you could choose any pistol for 50' bullseye... - Page 2 Empty If you could choose any pistol for 50' bullseye...

Post by CalJ 12/20/2022, 2:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

If you could choose the best 3 pistols for 50' NRA.22 bullseye, which would you choose? Why? What is the average price for the selection (if you know)

Last edited by CalJ on 12/20/2022, 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

CalJ

Back to top Go down

If you could choose any pistol for 50' bullseye... - Page 2 Empty Re: If you could choose any pistol for 50' bullseye...

Post by Dcforman 3/23/2023, 1:27 pm

If your goal is really to get into bullseye proper, I would personally buy a 1911 frame (gunsmiths choice), a Nelson or Marvel conversion with a combo rib, and send it to a reputable smith taking work (Jon Eulette, KC, Mike Curtis, etc.). You'll have a 22 you'll never outgrow, and it will be an easy eventual transition to 45. All for less than $2k.

Dave

Dcforman

hengehold and sayracin like this post

Back to top Go down

If you could choose any pistol for 50' bullseye... - Page 2 Empty Re: If you could choose any pistol for 50' bullseye...

Post by RoyDean 3/23/2023, 3:48 pm

TimSB,

Sorry, but you seem to be a bit confused.

If you like Euro iron sights (they are certainly the best) then a Pardini (my strong preference) or possibly an MG2 are both significantly better than a GSP. Pardini are by far the most popular and have stronger dealer and importer support. (Sorry JE, but that is a fact). As JE has stated, getting the Pardini trigger adjusted just right can be a bear, but it does not require a gunsmith, just patience and follow Nygord's notes. Red dots are easy to fit with the right rings. Cost around $3k. No use going for a custom grip till you get to know what you prefer, Rink's and others are readily available ~$300.

If you fancy a conversion, then Frerking Custom Works offer complete conversions on a dedicated 1911 frame for less than $2k and delivery is usually just a few weeks - variety of different rib/sight options, but the iron sights are not as nice and adjustable as a Euro gun. Nelson also make equally excellent conversions, but usually to fit on your own frame.

As far as "bang for buck" goes, I am very firmly in the camp of Ruger 22/45, with a drop in kit and a flat blade trigger. The iron sights are mediocre and difficult to upgrade, but a Ruger rail only costs $10 and screws right on current versions. Super reliable and competent gun for less than $1k all in. Can't beat that for entry level.

I have no experience with an Exesse, lots of folks like them, I cannot opine.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by TimSB 3/23/2023, 4:13 pm

Well I've been know to be a bit confused !. Honestly though I think you did make good points, I'd prefer very good iron sights and if its a high quality euro brand than so be it. And I've seen enough pics, and even at the range with these guns having optics. My eyes are supposed to be bad at my age 'when you get older you need a red dot'  I've not seen that need yet. I want and am glad to pay for a very good gun that won't leave me wishing I can tune it up a bit more. 
I'm a revolver guy honestly. I've I can find very finely tuned Smith or older Python (I have the new one) I'd go that route. Still leaves me with buying a better 22 though. 
I do think after reading enough reviews here, while a nice gun the GSP may not be on the number one list.

TimSB

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 3/23/2023, 5:43 pm

I shoot an indoor .22 50ft league from Sept-April.  600pt agg each Wed night.

I currently have:
‐ High Standard 106 Supermatic Citation - this is what I started shooting Bullseye pistol with in the late 80s.  My dad won it in 1966 at the USCG Sectional Matches and "gave" it to my mom.  I prefer the grip angle and the trigger is excellent, thought limited in adjustment.  Original irons only on this pistol.  Holds a special place for me.

- High Standard Victor - I have 2.  These are my "go-to".  I've been shooting them and the Citation above long enough the familiarity overcomes their limitations.  Eats any ammo but CCI SV in 50rd boxes, but loves the 100rd box stuff.  Go figure?

- Nygord Pardini SP22 - with the Horton grips to get a slightly more vertical grip angle, this pistol does well for me.  Recoil recovery is great but I just cannot get the slow fire consistent.  CCI SV is about 80% in this.  Its length gets hung up in the magazines.

- Walther GSP Expert - Grip angle is right for me.  Trigger is reasonably simple to adjust to where it works well for me.  Second stage "wall" is a bit mushy for my tastes.  Pistol eats any good ammo I feed it (CCI SV, Eley Bullseye X, Aguila SE SV, Norma Match, Eley Club)

- Hammerli 208s - I just got this used from GB Auction.  I have Horton's grips on this and had to put a new trigger shoe.  Re-sprung it and so far, it likes both CCI SV and Eley Bullseye X.  Trigger adjusts GREAT.  The second stage has a very slight roll and I am trying to get used to it, but still think it shoots very well ... REALLY well.

I have owned a Ruger Mk3, a Model 41 tuned by KC, a Marvel conversion on a Madore frame.  I don't like the Ruger grip angle.  I couldn't get used to the way the Model 41's trigger felt on my finger, even though the break felt awesome.  The Marvel conversion I just couldn't get reliable feeding and the trigger was temperamental at 2#.

All of these pistols, including those I sold, shoot GREAT groups at 50ft from the bench, heck even at 50yds.  Better than I can shoot them.  The thing that separates them is how I can shoot them, either in Slow or the sustained fire stages.  That means trigger feel on the break during slow fire, reset in sustained fire, how the pistol sits in my grip and if it gets a comfortable natural point of aim or I have to work at it.  As of this writing, I would rank them FOR ME as:
Victor (still a matter of familiarity)
208s (feels closest to the Victor)
Pardini and GSP about the same

With a couple more seasons on any of them and I could put them at the top.  My advice is to get a pistol you can afford that you can get a trigger either worked or adjusted to where it works for you.  Put good grips on it and get beaucoup trigger time dryfiring and on the range.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Jack H, sayracin and RodJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Packeagle 3/24/2023, 8:22 am

It's all been said here, but I'll add in my perspective. I built up what I thought was a budget .22 league gun at the time. Thinking that leage was going to be the extent of my bullseye shooting.

Ruger MKIV Target model 40178 5.5" gun. Added a Volquartsen Accusing kit, Volquartsen Volothane Grip, Tandemkross "shadow" rail, and a Primary Arms microdot. I came into the league with this setup, and few fellow shooters have copied this. It's a gun that I've put into the hands of a few new shooters who have shot it extremely well. I had a shooter show up the other day with a S&W .22 Compact that they threw 2 model 41s both with a dot and irons and she didn't hit the paper at 50' for timed and rapid. Put my Ruger in her hand and she started holding the 8 ring with the occasional flyer in the 7. (I think the weight had a big impact.)

I got a "deal" on an Aimpoint H-1 with an Aimpoint Ruger MK series specific mount. After the upgrade I had zero perceived increase in performance. The gun just "looked cleaner." Its a higher quality sight, but I don't see the added cost being worth the upgrade.

I've now moved on from that to where I want to begin shooting 1800 and 2700 matches. I tried to pinch my USPSA CZ Shadow 2 into service for an 1800 and I'm not happy with it.

I bought a Springfield Range Officer in .45 that is on its way to be accurized. I also ordered a Nelson Conversion Upper.

Packeagle

Wobbley and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 3/24/2023, 9:27 am

Another thought - especially for 50' stuff. Most of the pistols mentioned herein will do the job. It really comes down to what you feel comfortable with. That encourages you to follow your process because it feels more natural. I'd recommend borrowing/trying as many guns as you can to see what fits you.

My example - I really like the Nelson conversions - I have 2 and they've been problem free. I use them extensively for practice (one irons, one dot) but to get 'over the hump' for 22 dist I got an MG2. Once I put one of Mr Horton's fine grips on it I waltzed through with a hard leg at Perry. Does it shoot massively better than the conversion? Probably not - but it feels "right" for me. As Jon said - those 50' bulls are tiny - you have to feel confident in your process.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 3/27/2023, 2:16 pm

I have a older S&W model 41 and it shoots well, I know some of them seem to be problem children but mine is not the least bit fussy.  About the only think I would change on it is that the edges (sides) of the trigger are a bit sharp, I am temped to buy another trigger and play with rounding the edges just a bit.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 3/27/2023, 5:04 pm

CalJ wrote:If you could choose the best 3 pistols for 50' NRA.22 bullseye, which would you choose? Why? What is the average price for the selection (if you know)
Agree with several members on the Ruger, (my preference is the MKII's) for a starting out/dip my toes in the water, pistol. As mentioned, it needs a trigger job by a good BE smith and it will shoot with anything out there. Its what I started with 25 years ago & have gone back to. I have had nearly 10 of those & all have shot CCI sv into 3/4"-2"  @ 50 yds.

Next one would be a good 1911 frame to eventually build into a wad gun and have a BE smith do a trigger job on it with a Nelson Conversion on top. I currently have 2 of those & love them. This would allow a beginner to shoot all 3 matches with the same trigger. Just swap the slide assembly.
I'd stay away from Marvel. I've had 3 of those & have replaced 3 firing pins, a cracked slide and a bad barrel. None was warrantied.

My top of the line choice would be a Walther GSP. Beautiful trigger & reliable as the sun coming up in the East.

There's a few others (HS Citations, Browning Buckmark, S&W 41) I have had love/hate affairs with over the last several decades and a bunch that I've never played with, but those would be my top 3.
Al

Al

Fezzik68 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rfmiller 3/28/2023, 11:23 am

"Volquastrom's look nice,  - does the longer barrel have much effect when going rapid fire phases?"

Tim, I shot a Ruger with a 6 7/8" barrel , a Volquartsen trigger upgrade and their laminated target grips but found I didn't like the balance.  I ordered a 4.5 inch Volquartsen upper and put it on the Ruger lower.  I found the balance I liked.  I eventually replaced all the Ruger parts with Volquartsen until I had a complete pistol.  If it malfunctions it is because I need to clean it.
As to barrel length, I think either is fine if you are using an optic.  It is more what you are comfortable with.  With irons, a longer sight radius is a plus.
I shoot several disciplines including Rimfire Challenge (RCSA).  I use a 30 mm UltraDot mounted in quick release Leupold rings for bullseye which I can quickly change to a C-more open style with no change in zero over several years.  A very versatile gun.
But you need to get what you are comfortable with.  Try lots of guns.  My fellow shooters were always willing to let me try something of theirs.

rfmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2