Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

K Frame Grip Recommendations

+4
Sa-tevp
JIMPGOV
Tripscape
adv_rider
8 posters

Go down

K Frame Grip Recommendations Empty K Frame Grip Recommendations

Post by adv_rider 1/1/2023, 10:34 am

Howdy - not a big poster, but I do read the forum quite a bit.  Anyways I picked up a S&W 1905 4th change the other day.  Not the prettiest, but mechanically sound and with a VERY impressive single action trigger.  Got it local on my C&R which was nice.

The pistol has the original matching grips which it looks great wearing, however they do not fill the upper half of my hand nearly enough.  At a minimum it looks like I need wider grips .  Pushing my hand further back a little wouldn't be a bad thing either when working SA, but may be unnecessary if the grips are wide.

From my research I believe this type of pistol classifies as a pre model 10, so any K frame square grips should do. I would be using this for plinking/steel/informal target shooting.  While not required, it would be nice if the grips work with speed loaders.

Since this pistol isn't worth much, I'm looking for something no more than 40 bucks that looks OK on a svelt older piece like this - so no go on pachmayr grippers, etc. 

Herretts Checkered Walnut Shooting Star Grips?

Jay Scott Oversized Grips?

Other suggestions?

Thank you for the help any happy New Year.

adv_rider

Back to top Go down

K Frame Grip Recommendations Empty Re: K Frame Grip Recommendations

Post by Tripscape 1/1/2023, 10:38 am

"Original Mustang" can be found at that price range and fill the hand quite nice. They also have closed back at the top so that pushes your grip a bit back as well.  Amazon Thai grips are nice and will be around $50 mark. They come in different configurations. Just pay attention to closed back which will push your hand further back.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 1/1/2023, 12:33 pm

BILL DAVIS PPC GRIPS.
K Frame Grip Recommendations Z

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/1/2023, 4:20 pm

Bill Davis grips are neither wider, nor push hand back. They are grippy though, feel very good, made good and near impossible to find. If you do find them they always take premium. I don't think this is what OP was looking for.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by adv_rider 1/1/2023, 4:34 pm

Yeah, in my trudge through other forums Bill Davis grips popped up a bit.  However like tripscape mentioned, they seem pretty hard to find.  Good to know the width profile isn't all that fat.  I was not aware of that.

I did note the Thai grips pop up a bit too in forums as being favored.

adv_rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 1/1/2023, 4:48 pm

I like Herrett Shooting Stars. They were production grips and show up often on fleabay.

I like to add stippling to the smooth areas and then coat with tung oil for extra traction.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adv_rider 1/2/2023, 5:32 am

Hi Sa-tevp,

Do the shooting stars have a closed back?  Couldn't find a good pic on the internet

adv_rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 1/2/2023, 6:27 am

I wonder has anyone reached out to Andrew Berryhill about Laser Printing the Bill Davis Grips?
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 1/2/2023, 7:25 am

Handgun grips are a very personal matter considering that we are all built a little differently. That's probably why many of us have a wide selection of grips laying around! I personally have favored Hogue grips after I first found them about 40 years ago. I first used the hard nylon ones, due to their durability, when I was carrying a revolver daily. I now like the rubber ones for heavy recoiling revolvers. The price is right for you, but they do not cover the backstrap. Finding k frame grips that cover the backstrap will be a long search and then I don't know if you will ever find any. A buddy of mine (a very tall man with big hands) searched for some many years ago and found none. Good luck!
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/2/2023, 9:27 am

Finding fully enclosed is not difficult. Finding them at OPs price target is hard.
Original Mustang is usually available with a little search, though not fully enclosed but enclosed at the top. 

Here is from Amazon fully enclosed at about 70, these look great. These are the "Thai" grips. 

https://www.amazon.com/Revolver-Hardwood-Checkered-Openback-Beautiful/dp/B01H0F52XW/ref=mp_s_a_1_62?crid=3MSPR9E4L7P2L&keywords=s%26w+target+grip+k+frame+square&qid=1672680295&sprefix=%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-62

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 1/2/2023, 9:37 am

adv_rider wrote:Hi Sa-tevp,

Do the shooting stars have a closed back?  Couldn't find a good pic on the internet

Open back. 

Another feature of Herretts that I like is that they have very good frame fit.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC 1/2/2023, 11:35 am

Thanks for the call out.  I've not been asked to reproduce a set of Bill Davis Grips, yet.  However I've done a bunch of other examples where a customer has a long-out-of-production favorite shape they'd like reproduced for the original or a new gun.  I'm my opinion the gun industry is suffering from a terrible case of "feels the sames".  Everything is made to sort of fit most hands, sort of.  Therefore if your hand is outside the fat part of the bell curve or if you'd prefer something else rather specific you are out of luck.  Polymer guns are the worst examples of this, but traditional steel frame construction guns can suffer the same condition.  With 3d scanning and printing, if you've got a favorite shape you'd like on another gun, or a reproduction of a broken grip, reach out to me at [url=PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com]PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com[/url][url=recisionTargetPistolGrips.com][/url]  I'd be happy to help out.

Andrew

Precision Target Pistol Grips

BerryhillAC

Allgoodhits likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 1/2/2023, 12:01 pm

Tripscape wrote:Finding fully enclosed is not difficult. Finding them at OPs price target is hard.
Original Mustang is usually available with a little search, though not fully enclosed but enclosed at the top. 

Here is from Amazon fully enclosed at about 70, these look great. These are the "Thai" grips. 

https://www.amazon.com/Revolver-Hardwood-Checkered-Openback-Beautiful/dp/B01H0F52XW/ref=mp_s_a_1_62?crid=3MSPR9E4L7P2L&keywords=s%26w+target+grip+k+frame+square&qid=1672680295&sprefix=%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-62
I was thinking carry type grips or "mirror image" grips for NRA Distinguished Pistol Matches, not one handed-bullseye match type grips. If the OP wants some closed back "target grips", I can offer the following that I have modified. They are for the S&W k frame square frame revolvers. For twenty bucks he can modify them as much as he wants without feeling guilty! Smile
K Frame Grip Recommendations QRQmGbg
K Frame Grip Recommendations LAvlIWK
K Frame Grip Recommendations XUTTox8
K Frame Grip Recommendations 4EIeenL
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR 1/2/2023, 12:51 pm

Add my vote for Bill Davis PPC grips. They're perfect for BE T&R using the "flail grip" method.

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/2/2023, 1:39 pm

BE Mike,
Are those Jay Scott?

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by adv_rider 1/2/2023, 4:46 pm

Sa-tevp wrote:
adv_rider wrote:Hi Sa-tevp,

Open back. 

Another feature of Herretts that I like is that they have very good frame fit.

Thank you for the 411 on these!

adv_rider

Back to top Go down

Post by adv_rider 1/2/2023, 4:51 pm

Tripscape wrote:Finding fully enclosed is not difficult. Finding them at OPs price target is hard.

I have seen a few fully enclosed styles, and on fleabay there also seem to be Thai made grips for about 55 shipped.  Not sure if they are the same quality as the ones you linked.

adv_rider

Back to top Go down

Post by adv_rider 1/2/2023, 4:55 pm

BE Mike wrote:

I was thinking carry type grips or "mirror image" grips for NRA Distinguished Pistol Matches, not one handed-bullseye match type grips. If the OP wants some closed back "target grips", I can offer the following that I have modified. They are for the S&W k frame square frame revolvers. For twenty bucks he can modify them as much as he wants without feeling guilty! Smile

I will probably use the 1905 as a carried plinker in a holster, so i am leaning towards beefy mirror grips.   Thank you for the offer!

adv_rider

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 1/3/2023, 7:20 am

Tripscape wrote:BE Mike,
Are those Jay Scott?
I have no clue what brand they were before I started modifying them. I've had them a long, long time. This might give me a reason to make them carry type grips as I long ago quit competing in Harry Reeves matches.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by adv_rider 1/23/2023, 3:02 pm

Quick update - I did track down a pair of mustang grips off fleabay for $30 to my door.  The pair I got are plain jane, but fit the pistol well and better yet my hand.  Finger/hand position is a huge improvement for SA.

If anybody stumbles on this thread in the future, my grips were marked with a '5'.  So this size should fit any square butt k frame.

Thanks again for the help!

adv_rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down