Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommended 22 ammo

+5
Merick
chiz1180
PMcfall
shoot308
L. Boscoe
9 posters

Go down

Recommended 22 ammo Empty Recommended 22 ammo

Post by L. Boscoe Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:48 am

I am limited in what I have to shoot, and don't plan to do any competing except against myself.
That said, I was thinking a decent target round for the 50ft slow fire targets I shoot (range is indoors and that is max distance)
would be a good idea. Now I am shooting Norma TAC 22's.  My gun is a Marvel conversion with an Ultradot, and am getting decent results now, just getting low on ammo and wanted to stick with one brand.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Recommended 22 ammo Empty Re: Recommended 22 ammo

Post by shoot308 Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:03 am

That is what I shoot out of my Marvel, HS Victor and S&W41. Just got another case from Palmetto State Armory yesterday.

shoot308

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:11 am

Many of us shoot CCI standard velocity.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Pinetree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:15 am

Most target quality 22 ammo will hold 10 ring if not x ring at 50 yards out of a reasonably good pistol. If what you are shooting now is available (at reasonable cost) and is reliable in your gun, I personally see little reason to change. I personally shoot CCI, Eley, and SK. I shoot what is available at a cost I am comfortable with, for example I am willing to pay a little more for Eley or SK if CCI availability is low.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Slamfire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:36 pm

CCI standard is the go-to but I shoot a lot of federal automatch because I am tightwad.  It is the best of the cheap stuff and widely available but also on the edge of being too hot for the delicate guns.

Merick

Slamfire and Buck13 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:16 am

I ran a search on AmmoSeek and found:-

Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity ~ 6.2c/round
CCI Standard Velocity ~ 6.4c/round
Norma TAC ~ 6.9c/round

All three now seem to be readily available.

I am a fan of Aguila. Many folks on this forum swear by CCI. You have already determined that Norma works in your gun. The difference in cost is marginal.

At 50ft - even off a rest - I doubt that you can see any significant difference in group size between any of those three. After many thousands of rounds of Aguila I have certainly seen one or two uncalled flyers that I will optimistically put down to the ammo - I would guess that one could expect the same of the others. I have very occasionally experienced a dud - usually goes bang on second try - with all 22LR ammo - even very expensive Eley or Lapua.

Ya pays ya money and takes your choice!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:10 am

If Norma Tac-22 is working well for you, stick with it and buy it directly from Norma. If you are on their email list, it goes on sale regularly for under $4/50 box often with free shipping.
https://normashooting.com/shop/caliber/22-lr-40-gr-norma-tac-22-qty-50/
https://normashooting.com/emailsignup/
TonyH
TonyH

Buck13 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck13 Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:43 am

Merick wrote:CCI standard is the go-to but I shoot a lot of federal automatch because I am tightwad.  It is the best of the cheap stuff and widely available but also on the edge of being too hot for the delicate guns.
I saw Federal Champion HV yesterday for $4 a box.  By the specs, that stuff might just be AutoMatch in a smaller box.  Anyone know (or suspect) if that's the case?

Buck13

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:52 am

I did quite a bit of machine rest testing at 50 yards back in the day. Sometimes it was obvious that economically priced .22 ammo was much cheaper, like CCI Blazer and sometimes it wasn't clear why some higher priced ammo, like CCI Green Tag was more expensive. CCI Standard Velocity was always decent, not pristine accuracy, but decent. Back then, Aguila was pretty good, too. Of course that was a long time ago and different .22 pistols (even the same exact kind) have their likes and dislikes. Chiz1180 is spot on. One thing is I wouldn't shoot any copper plated or high velocity out of a top quality match pistol. Not that they are "delicate" but competitive shooters shoot them a lot, so there is no reason to add unnecessary wear to a quality match pistol, simply to save a couple of bucks and the copper will likely affect the bore and accuracy will suffer.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Slamfire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down