Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ammunition

+2
Jon Eulette
Richard Benoit
6 posters

Go down

Ammunition Empty Ammunition

Post by Richard Benoit 1/3/2023, 7:01 pm

I'm curious about the lowest temp. that ammo can be tested at before running into reliability problems . I've recently got some 200 gr Hornady HAP bullets to try with a 1:13 twist 45ACP barrel. Previous test have proven accurate and reliable with a 185 Zero at 3.6WST or 3.3 BE , tested at temps in the upper 60s. 3.1BE or 3.3WST have proven accurate and reliable with Hornady 200gr XTPs, again tested at temps in the upper 60s. For the next couple of months , a 45 degree day would be about the best I could hope for. I suspect, especially with WST, that I'm asking for trouble trying to test at that temp. If I test at a fairly rapid pace so that the gun doesn't cool , and try to keep the ammo in an interior coat pocket until the last moment possible , can I expect results similar to warmer weather testing? Any suggestions? No, I don't want to hold off testing until warmer weather returns. I'd like to get my ammo loaded for next season during the off season.

Richard Benoit

Back to top Go down

Ammunition Empty Re: Ammunition

Post by Jon Eulette 1/3/2023, 7:14 pm

I've shot 2.8 & 3.0 of Bullseye down to 38 degrees with no issues in my 13 twist. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner 1/3/2023, 8:36 pm

Some work has been done here; please see this thread.

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/3/2023, 11:51 pm

It isn’t the external temp that’s important it’s the temperature of the ammo when fired.  That said, the issues are primarily ignition either the primers can’t get the powder to deflagrate or the powder is less prone to start burning, and these are two different things…. The phenomenon starts at about 35 F or lower.  So, what you can do is to keep the next test string in your pants pocket.  That will keep them warm enough to test.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GME 1/4/2023, 12:09 am

I put mine in a jacket or hoodie pocket with a "Hothands" hand warmer or two. It's also good for keeping my hands warm between strings.  The dry heat helps manage the arthritis in my trigger finger.

GME

jglenn21 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard Benoit 1/5/2023, 6:43 pm

GME wrote:I put mine in a jacket or hoodie pocket with a "Hothands" hand warmer or two. It's also good for keeping my hands warm between strings.  The dry heat helps manage the arthritis in my trigger finger.
Thanks all, I'll post my results when available

Richard Benoit

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemargolis 1/7/2023, 11:16 am

GME wrote:I put mine in a jacket or hoodie pocket with a "Hothands" hand warmer or two. It's also good for keeping my hands warm between strings.  The dry heat helps manage the arthritis in my trigger finger.
I wear an Ororo heated vest, with heated pockets.

Heaven on earth.

mikemargolis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down