Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

45 Bullet selection under New CMP Service Pistol rules

+2
John Dervis
Wobbley
6 posters

Go down

45 Bullet selection under New CMP Service Pistol rules Empty 45 Bullet selection under New CMP Service Pistol rules

Post by Wobbley Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:28 pm

With the recent changes to the ammunition rules to qualify as a “Service Pistol” ( any safe ammo), it brings up the question of best bullet selection for service pistol.  Prior to this rule change it was pre-determined that the best was a 185 JHP.  Many shooters shot that for all 45 stages because the bullets were so good.  Now with LSWC seeming to be acceptable for CMP service pistol, the question is now re-opened one can presume.  So let’s perhaps discuss this.  To keep the scope manageable, let’s limit to generic bullets not any specific brand.  

I’ll start.  I’ve had such good results with 180 and 200 Cast LSWC, that I’d choose those and 200 grains specifically.  I just feel that the 200 LSWC is the best all-around bullet for me.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

45 Bullet selection under New CMP Service Pistol rules Empty Re: 45 Bullet selection under New CMP Service Pistol rules

Post by John Dervis Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:44 pm

When I was chasing points I would use my Ball gun for everything CF.  I would use my normal lead wad loads which for me is a 200 gr SWC over 3.9 clays for long line and a 185 gr WCBN over 3.7 BE for short.  I would always do better with that combination vs my hardball load which was a 185 gr JHP over 4.5 BE.  Some of it could have been fatigue or nerves etc but results seemed better even though the gun was the same and that JHP load was good.
If I were to shoot a hardball match again under these rules, I would use my wad loads for sure.  
John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

45 Bullet selection under New CMP Service Pistol rules Empty Re: 45 Bullet selection under New CMP Service Pistol rules

Post by Skid Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:50 pm

I practice with HPLSWC's 185's and same powder weight as the JHP's at both 50 and 25. I like the rear weighted bullets.
 I just need a hard leg.
                                  Skid

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:04 pm

delete

Last edited by Jack H on Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:40 pm

Err, I believe the selection criteria will be whatever generates the smallest groups, and best economics that fit you and the gun.

CR10X

Steve B and R*P*DR* like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:10 pm

I see here mention of "cast" specifically in relation to lead bullets without a jacket or plating. Is the use of that term to contrast vs swaged lead bullets? My vague understanding is that swaged bullets are soft and are very consistent. Where cast could be soft and could be consistent, but not necessarily. Wobbley et al do we intend to make this distinction vs swage when using the term Cast, and generally agree with the above? The Zero brand just for example I understood to be swaged and resulting very consistent forming of the projectile. They are very soft to scratching even with the fingernail.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:28 pm

SingleActionAndrew wrote:I see here mention of "cast" specifically in relation to lead bullets without a jacket or plating. Is the use of that term to contrast vs swaged lead bullets? My vague understanding is that swaged bullets are soft and are very consistent. Where cast could be soft and could be consistent, but not necessarily. Wobbley et al do we intend to make this distinction vs swage when using the term Cast, and generally agree with the above? The Zero brand just for example I understood to be swaged and resulting very consistent forming of the projectile. They are very soft to scratching even with the fingernail.

Your understanding is correct. 
  Cast bullets can have air voids inside if care is not taken during the casting process. These voids affect accuracy by a) varying bullet weight and b) the spin of the bullet can be affected and that will throw the bullet of course.  You can change the hardness by adding other metals and end up with a really hard bullet if that’s what you are looking for but for our purposes, softer lead works fine (maybe even best).  Hard cast bullets are used for high velocity loads for long range shooting or hunting.
  Swaged bullets are formed by cutting a lead wire and pressing the bullets into shape. They are soft but it’s the fact they are consistent without any voids that makes them accurate.  
  I have mostly used Swaged bullets in my bullseye career.  Star and Zero are both Swaged and are what I use.  I do have some stock of cast bullets both 200 gr and 185 gr but haven’t tried either one just yet to see how they perform.

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:28 pm

Cast or swaged is optional to your choice.  I personally prefer cast because I believe the bullets are less prone to leading and that means less load difficulties over all.  That said, I do have and shoot swaged lead bullets.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down