Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hammerli Essex

+2
-TT-
WYogeorge
6 posters

Go down

Hammerli Essex Empty Hammerli Essex

Post by WYogeorge Mon Jan 23 2023, 08:53

Right now I am shooting a Valquartsen Black momba. I have it in my head that I NEED an Hammerli. I know parts are getting difficult to find. Are the new essex all sorted out? I have read some not so good reviews about reliability and the customer service. Is there a dealer in the USA that carries parts? Or do I look for a 208-215?

Thanks
George

WYogeorge

Back to top Go down

Hammerli Essex Empty Re: Hammerli Essex

Post by -TT- Mon Jan 23 2023, 10:41

The X-esse is pretty well supported by Walther in Fort Smith Arkansas. Parts are sometimes on backorder, and they do give priority to their own smiths, but I've had no trouble. Their support staff is extremely helpful.
-TT-
-TT-

WYogeorge likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WYogeorge Mon Jan 23 2023, 11:35

Is there a weight on the end or is it just a plastic piece?

WYogeorge

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckusD Mon Jan 23 2023, 12:48

I’ve had a Black Mamba for a few years and think it’s great.  Very nice trigger.  Six months ago I found a 208s that I couldn’t resist.  I haven’t taken the Volquartsen to the range since.  There seems to be something amazing about the Hammerli.  You definitely NEED a 208 or 215!

RuckusD

Back to top Go down

Post by BruceV Mon Jan 23 2023, 12:52

WYogeorge wrote:Right now I am shooting a Valquartsen Black momba. I have it in my head that I NEED an Hammerli. 

Thanks
George
Just curious what is it about your Black Mamba that you are not liking?  Also do you have the 22/45frame or TF?

BruceV

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckusD Mon Jan 23 2023, 13:13

BruceV wrote:
WYogeorge wrote:Right now I am shooting a Valquartsen Black momba. I have it in my head that I NEED an Hammerli. 

Thanks
George
Just curious what is it about your Black Mamba that you are not liking?  Also do you have the 22/45frame or TF?
I really like the Black Mamba.  It's only made on 22/45 frame AFAIK.  I added a Dick Horton grip and I could happily shoot it for the rest of my life.  I'm actually surprised that more Bullseye shooters don't talk about it.   However . . . the 208s trigger is amazing and my scores went up.   So when I'm going out the door to the range I always take the 208 - it's just a little more satisfying.  Next time maybe I'll take both and do a comparison.

RuckusD

Back to top Go down

Post by BruceV Mon Jan 23 2023, 13:28

RuckusD wrote:
BruceV wrote:

Thanks
George
I really like the Black Mamba.  It's only made on 22/45 frame AFAIK.  I added a Dick Horton grip and I could happily shoot it for the rest of my life.  I'm actually surprised that more Bullseye shooters don't talk about it.   However . . . the 208s trigger is amazing and my scores went up.   So when I'm going out the door to the range I always take the 208 - it's just a little more satisfying.  Next time maybe I'll take both and do a comparison.
The Black Mamba is absolutely available with the TF frame.  It is heavier and most of the bullseye shooters in my area have the TF.  The grip angle is different.  The 22/45 is a good choice when weight is a factor - it is noticeably lighter than the TF.

BruceV

Back to top Go down

Post by WYogeorge Mon Jan 23 2023, 13:29

I like the black mamba. I have close to 2000 rounds through it and not 1 problem. I just want to try a hammerli.Hammerli Essex 20230111

WYogeorge

Back to top Go down

Post by WYogeorge Mon Jan 23 2023, 13:31

22-45 frame

WYogeorge

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Mon Jan 23 2023, 14:32

WYogeorge wrote:Is there a weight on the end or is it just a plastic piece?

It's a plastic "spacer", but it's hollow and about 30-40 grams of lead or tungsten scraps can be stuffed in. Or, there are weights available up to about 100g, but they're hard to find. Alternatively you can add a wraparound sight mount that fixes to the gun at that same spot, which adds about 150g plus of course the optic.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Jan 23 2023, 16:56

I've owned a trailside for a number of years..for function it's been very reliable once i sorted it out. Zero alibis over the last 2 years.

They are solid guns. As for spares I'd keep a recoil and mainspring handy. Also an extractor and FP... that's pretty much it.

Mine shoots and runs CCI std perfectly. Trigger can be improved by cutting the sear a bit.

Last edited by jglenn21 on Mon Jan 23 2023, 17:11; edited 1 time in total
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by aub1957 Mon Jan 23 2023, 17:09

OP, here's my take on the Hammerli Xesse/215/208 as I had all of them at one time. The 208 and 215 models feel like heirloom-quality pistols. They are well made, there's plenty of good grips out there and they have a great set of target sights. Apart from weights, I have gotten the parts I needed from Red Feather (Jim Henderson). Magazines are expensive at around $125 each. I got a heavier weight on Gunbroker, and I paid through the nose for it. The optics mount that Jim Henderson sells (the Larry's mount) is nice. Also, the trigger on my 215 is pretty amazing.

I had an Xesse IPSC and sold it here on the forum. I didn't like it as much, ergonomically speaking, compared to the 208/215 as the slide rubbed on my hand sometimes when it cycled. I know that was mainly a grip issue, but I was unable to find a solution. The Xesse was very tight when I first got it, but as I shot it, it loosened up. You have to keep the chamber clean as it is very tight as well. You can't run it filthy like you can a Ruger. I mainly shoot irons and the LPA sights on it were just not a good set of target sights. Weights were not easy to get, but I did find a heavier one that I liked. Mine originally came with a plastic "fake weight." I tried stuffing it with some lead, but that wasn't heavy enough. The Xesse is very light, so you would likely need a weight. I managed to get an optics mount that a guy here on the forum made, which was an awesome setup with a Sig Romeo. Magazines weren't too expensive at $35, but they are all plastic. I never had a problem with the mags, though. The Xesse didn't have that heirloom quality feel. It just felt like a version of the 208/215 that some cost-cutting accountants got hold of. Now, all that being said, it had a great barrel. VERY accurate pistol and I sometimes wish I had not sold it. I shot my personal best with it in an EIC match. In my hands, the Xesse was more accurate than the 208 and 215. Anyway, those are my observations. A few trade-offs.
@font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;}@font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536859905 -1073732485 9 0 511 0;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}p {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman",serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}.MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;}

aub1957

Back to top Go down