Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magazine Bumpers

+4
Tripscape
Wobbley
DA/SA
mikemyers
8 posters

Go down

Magazine Bumpers Empty Magazine Bumpers

Post by mikemyers 1/25/2023, 12:53 pm

Is the only reason some magazines have "bumpers" that the bumper prevents our skin being caught between the magazine and the frame, which hurts?
Are there other reasons for them?

I guess this is a big deal in "action shooting", but I suspect it doesn't make much difference in bullseye.

Just curious - I guess I'll spend the additional $$ to get the bumpers.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Magazine Bumpers Empty Re: Magazine Bumpers

Post by DA/SA 1/25/2023, 12:56 pm

To hopefully not damage the magazine when it hits the ground doing fast magazine changes like in action pistol where you just let them drop.

Also adds a bit of weight so they hit on that end.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/25/2023, 1:02 pm

And they ensure the mag is fully seated, especially if changed with the slide forward,
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/25/2023, 1:21 pm

I have mine because anatomic grips protrude over the magwell.  Bumpers allow me to seat magazines without digging into the crevice.  I also have few magazines with brass bumpers that help with above, plus the weight distribution on front heavier pistols.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 1/25/2023, 1:49 pm

And they give you something to grab onto if you need to yank a magazine out to quickly clear a jam.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/25/2023, 2:12 pm

I'm convinced - that last response happened to me, and with nothing to grab onto, I thought I was stuck.  Lots of good reasons.  The magazines that came stock with my new (to me) Springfield Range Officer 9mm Target don't have bumpers - seems like a nice addition.

Springfield's pricing seems unusual - with the bumper, the price is lower?

Before I finish, is Springfield a good source, or is it better to buy from a better source?

Magazine Bumpers Scree113
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 1/25/2023, 2:24 pm

mikemyers wrote:Springfield's pricing seems unusual - with the bumper, the price is lower?

Before I finish, is Springfield a good source, or is it better to buy from a better source?

My Springfield 9mm came with Checkmate magazines, which function well but no bumpers. It's super-cheap to add them, but I discovered the threaded holes in the base were not actually 4-40, and the screws wouldn't hold. I called Checkmate and they told me 4-40 was correct. I had the idea to try 5-40, but I bought Wilson mags instead.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Travlr99 1/26/2023, 8:30 am

mikemyers wrote:

I've had problems with the Springfield magazines but none with the Wilson Combat replacements that I bought.

Travlr99

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 1/26/2023, 12:41 pm

I use these in different colors. They provide all the above benefits and the different colors allow me to easily separate out and remember if I have a problem magazine. They are slightly wider than the magazine body which allows you to grab them more easily if stuck but if you have a grip that extends below the frame they may not fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225013284491?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7hMZVf_hQqW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=oXrcNVRZQJa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited by toddcfii on 1/26/2023, 1:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/26/2023, 1:36 pm

spursnguns wrote:And they give you something to grab onto if you need to yank a magazine out to quickly clear a jam.
Without bumpers, how does one yank a magazine out of the gun at all?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down