Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grips for my Model 41

+3
mikemyers
BE Mike
Novak
7 posters

Go down

Grips for my Model 41 Empty Grips for my Model 41

Post by Novak 2/3/2023, 1:03 pm

Got a problem, guys. Just received my "like new" Herrett Nationals grips for my S&W Model 41. Great feeling grips! But they are too long! Length is because they accommodate a hand shelf. Well, I don't like hand shelf's. Makes it difficult to load a magazine and unload. I have a band saw. Thinking of cutting it to proper length without the hand shelf. I know I will never be able to sell it later if I do this. It is an expensive grip. So my question is:
     At the Nationals, has anyone else cut off one of these grips the way I intend? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Novak
Novak

Back to top Go down

Grips for my Model 41 Empty Re: Grips for my Model 41

Post by BE Mike 2/3/2023, 4:25 pm

Novak wrote:Got a problem, guys. Just received my "like new" Herrett Nationals grips for my S&W Model 41. Great feeling grips! But they are too long! Length is because they accommodate a hand shelf. Well, I don't like hand shelf's. Makes it difficult to load a magazine and unload. I have a band saw. Thinking of cutting it to proper length without the hand shelf. I know I will never be able to sell it later if I do this. It is an expensive grip. So my question is:
     At the Nationals, has anyone else cut off one of these grips the way I intend? Any suggestions? Thanks.
I doubt that you'd see very many modified like that. Many folks would just sell them and get something else, but you do what will make you happy. Modifying grips is very common among bullseye pistol shooters. Interestingly enough, many years ago, I talked to Larry Carter about grips. He said that he had tried a lot of different ones and finally settled on checkered wood panels. He said a lot of HM shooters just used plain Jane ones.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/3/2023, 5:13 pm

Not sure if this would be good for you, but Dave Salyer sent me these grips - it is a kit, that mounts steel plates on the sides of a 1911, and you can use any standard 1911 grips on it.  I've got the manufacturer written down somewhere.  I attached it to my 41, and like it a lot.  More weight though.  But it's an option to consider.  .....eventually I'll possibly attach "sharkskin" grips to this gun.

For you, it would allow you to mount any 1911 grips that you like on your gun.

Grips for my Model 41 Screen12
mikemyers
mikemyers

Dan Webb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Grips for my Model 41 Empty .45 type grips

Post by Novak 2/3/2023, 6:40 pm

I would like to buy that steel plate. Could you please send me the site I can buy it? Thank you very much. Also, where can I look at those sharkskin grips? Thanks!
Novak
Novak

Dan Webb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 2/3/2023, 7:03 pm

Is this it? (looks like the arched one)

https://www.cm-machine.com/Smith-Wesson-1911-Frame-Adapter_c_10.html
-TT-
-TT-

Dan Webb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/3/2023, 7:04 pm

Sure:
https://www.cm-machine.com/Smith-Wesson-1911-Frame-Adapter_c_10.html 

Sharkskin Grips:
1911 Sharkskin Grips
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/3/2023, 7:07 pm

I didn't realize there were two versions - and mine are apparently the "arched".
Dave bought it for himself originally; he sent them to me, and once I installed them, I fell in love with them.

You can call them, and discuss which one to buy for your gun.

More info here:  https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/cm-machine-frame-adapter-grips.1134439/ 
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Webb 2/3/2023, 7:25 pm

I had a stock maker checker my M41 Herrett Nationals. I cut off the excess wood under the palm shelf as well. This made magazine access much more convenient. Break out the bandsaw if you want to. They're just pieces of wood, make them your own.

Dan Webb

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk 2/4/2023, 1:02 am

I have the CM Machine 1911 grip adapters for my model 41, the straight ones (no arch).  They are made out of aluminum, and take standard 1911 slab grips.  They are pricy, but well made and they work.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/4/2023, 11:03 am

rburk wrote:I have the CM Machine 1911 grip adapters for my model 41, the straight ones (no arch).  They are made out of aluminum, and take standard 1911 slab grips.  They are pricy, but well made and they work.
Oops, I was wrong - that is good.  I assumed they were steel, but then they'd be even heavier.  Aluminum - good!!

I have lots of old grips for my 41 - I guess I'll give away or sell all of them, other than the original grips that came with the gun.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Grips for my Model 41 Empty Herritt grips

Post by Novak 2/4/2023, 3:18 pm

I did as Dan Webb suggested. Using my band saw, I sliced off the bottom part of the grips, which eliminated the palm shelf. Yes, it destroyed the resale value of the grips (maybe someone else likes them the way I like them). Best feeling grips I ever had on my Model 41. I used them today at the 900 match. In spite of the 18 mph winds, I shot well and am very happy with them. It was as Dan said. They are just a pair of wood grips. This way I made them mine.
Novak
Novak

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wingnut170 2/5/2023, 9:03 am

Novak wrote:Got a problem, guys. Just received my "like new" Herrett Nationals grips for my S&W Model 41. Great feeling grips! But they are too long! Length is because they accommodate a hand shelf. Well, I don't like hand shelf's. Makes it difficult to load a magazine and unload. I have a band saw. Thinking of cutting it to proper length without the hand shelf. I know I will never be able to sell it later if I do this. It is an expensive grip. So my question is:

I cut off the opposite side of the hand shelf even with the bottom of the frame which allowed me to insert the magazine easier.

wingnut170

Back to top Go down

Grips for my Model 41 Empty Half off

Post by Novak 2/5/2023, 10:51 am

Wingnut170,

I like your suggestion best. To cut off 1/2 the bottom end. But it is too late. I already cut clean through. Since it is only wood, perhaps I can take the cut off pieces and wood glue them back on. At least the right side. I will try that today. Thanks!
Novak
Novak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down