Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to avoid carbon build-up on revolver cylinder?

5 posters

Go down

How to avoid carbon build-up on revolver cylinder? Empty How to avoid carbon build-up on revolver cylinder?

Post by croesler Sun 5 Feb - 20:04

There have been a couple good threads on how to use Kroil to clean a crusty revolver.  Any advice on what to put on a blued revolver BEFORE shooting to reduce / resist carbon build-up in the cylinder groves?   The Kroil does seem to work after the fact, but its slow and a lot of scrubbing.  I would prefer not to let the carbon stick in the first place!  Any ideas welcome!
croesler
croesler

Back to top Go down

How to avoid carbon build-up on revolver cylinder? Empty Re: How to avoid carbon build-up on revolver cylinder?

Post by Steve B Mon 6 Feb - 8:30

I haven't found anything yet that hot carbon and lead won't burn through.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

How to avoid carbon build-up on revolver cylinder? Empty Re: How to avoid carbon build-up on revolver cylinder?

Post by Chase Turner Mon 6 Feb - 9:09

I keep my cylinder well oiled with CLP, but also use a rag/silicone shooting cloth while shooting to wipe the cylinder down during a match/practice. It does seem to help, but may be more activity you want to do while shooting (also keeps hands from getting too grubby).

When I get home, I take the cylinder off and let it soak in Kroil/Hoppes 50/50. Using this method, I really don't have to fight a dirty cylinder anymore; but I understand it may not be the process you would pick.

Chase Turner

Steve B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon 6 Feb - 9:17

I haven't found anything and a new to me S&W model 18 gets stubborn carbon build up in the cylinder flutes. I've used M Pro 7 and Kroil to take the carbon off. I probably haven't let Kroil sit long enough to work properly. I have a buddy to loves Frog Lube. I believe he says he bakes it onto his guns and it keep carbon from building up. I've never used it, but it might be worth looking into further.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Mon 6 Feb - 18:30

Acetone is great for cleaning flutes as well as the front of the cylinder. Use in ventilated area and it is flammable. 

Many shooters of compensated guns, will give a squirt of case lube into the comp before shooting. It reduces the build up of carbon in the comp. Can't imagine my it wouldn't work to take a cloth and wipe the cylinder front and flutes before shooting with same. This is the case cleaner like Dillon or similar that has lanolin in it. So maybe lanolin is the key.

Last edited by Allgoodhits on Tue 7 Feb - 19:44; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong word chosen)
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue 7 Feb - 7:42

Allgoodhits wrote:Acetone is great for cleaning flutes as well as the front of the cylinder. Use in ventilated area and it is flammable. 

Many shooters of compensated guns, will give a squirt of case cleaner into the comp before shooting. It reduces the build up of carbon in the comp. Can't imagine my it wouldn't work to take a cloth and wipe the cylinder front and flutes before shooting with same. This is the case cleaner like Dillon or similar that has lanolin in it. So maybe lanolin is the key.
Do you mean case lube?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Tue 7 Feb - 19:43

BE Mike wrote:
Allgoodhits wrote:Acetone is great for cleaning flutes as well as the front of the cylinder. Use in ventilated area and it is flammable. 

Many shooters of compensated guns, will give a squirt of case cleaner into the comp before shooting. It reduces the build up of carbon in the comp. Can't imagine my it wouldn't work to take a cloth and wipe the cylinder front and flutes before shooting with same. This is the case cleaner like Dillon or similar that has lanolin in it. So maybe lanolin is the key.
Do you mean case lube?
Ooops! My bad yes. I will edit, if it will permit me.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down