Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gunsmith recommended books, dvds, etc.

+5
Wobbley
RodJ
javaduke
Kp321
Single_handed
9 posters

Go down

Gunsmith recommended books, dvds, etc. Empty Gunsmith recommended books, dvds, etc.

Post by Single_handed 2/7/2023, 10:17 am

I used the search function of the forum, I use it every time I post a new topic. But I find it challenging to find an answer. So I apologize if this has been covered and I just didn’t use the correct key words.

Asking the gunsmiths of the group for their recommendations on educational material related to your trade. Specifically BE pistolsmithing. But I’ll take any info. I love to learn. I enjoy reading and collecting books about topics that interest me greatly. I’m looking for any gunsmithing text books, manuals, dvd’s, whatever that an established and knowledgeable smith would recommend. I have a background in Manual Machining, welding (GMAW & GTAW) and I apprenticed a local gunsmith (long range rifles primarily) for about a year but unfortunately he passed away while I was in the “do the jobs I don’t want to do” phase, so I didn’t learn as much as I’d hoped. But I can assemble AR’s and 10/22’s in my sleep, one handed even! Lol. So I consider myself a bit of a “Gun Mechanic”. I have a warm and fuzzy on the fundamentals. Im specifically interested in 1911’s but anything Pistol/revolver would be nice. Subjects I’m interested in are Firearm metrology, hand fitting, tuning, timing, fixturing etc. Any advice, titles, authors, links, etc. is appreciated.

Thank you very much,
-Rob
Single_handed
Single_handed

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Gunsmith recommended books, dvds, etc. Empty Re: Gunsmith recommended books, dvds, etc.

Post by Kp321 2/7/2023, 11:56 am

The best free source for the information you are looking for can be found on the 1911forum.com. Some of the best 1911 smiths in the country hang out there and are very good at answering questions and giving detailed instructions on all aspects of building/tuning these pistols. The forum search function works great plus there are stickies on many of the topics. 
Books I recommend are the two volumes of Kuhnhausen‘s Shop Manual. 

Kp321

dieselguy624 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Gunsmith recommended books, dvds, etc. Empty Re: Gunsmith recommended books, dvds, etc.

Post by javaduke 2/7/2023, 2:59 pm

Start with Jerry Kuhnhausen's The .45 Automatic Shop Manual (both volumes I and II) - this will give you a good understanding of how the 1911 functions and maintenance and tuning procedures.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

dieselguy624 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 2/7/2023, 8:20 pm

If you don’t have the Kunhausen books, I have them and will gift them to you. Shoot me a pm with your address. They are dangerous in my hands. Plus, your funny about ability to assemble ar’s and 10/22’s with one hand made my face break out in a “laughing smile”.

RodJ

SaraiEsq and Single_handed like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/8/2023, 12:12 am

Best way to learn, imo, is to scour the pawnshops and gun shops and buy some non-working guns.  Learn on them.  If you get them working again then trade them for others.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Dan Webb and Single_handed like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 2/9/2023, 3:58 pm

the Army and National Guard have over the years had written manuals on building  Bullseye pistols and the tools used. not a book but a nice thread here on a fellow member building a match pistol

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t13261-1911-project-under-way

being a machinist you'll enjoy the thread

Brownells has both articles and videos on the 1911 as well as just about all the tools needed(you can go broke quick)
jglenn21
jglenn21

Chase Turner and Single_handed like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Single_handed 2/11/2023, 11:06 am

Thank you all very much for the replies. I apologize for the delay. I’m currently fabricating an electronic turning target using Smdial’s control board. So it’s been monopolizing a lot of my time the last few days. But fun to warm up the welders as it’s been a minute.

I’ll look into these resources. Any more recommendations are much appreciated!
Single_handed
Single_handed

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Orion 2/11/2023, 8:46 pm

Hallock’s 45 Auto Handbook

Gunsmith recommended books, dvds, etc. Image10
Orion
Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/12/2023, 6:35 am

You need to sort out what is best, but there is a ton of information about anything on the internet.  Just do a search for various things.  What is wonderful, is that if you watch the YouTube videos, you can see it being done.  For me, that was a huge help, before starting to read the technical books.

I like the idea of buying "scrap" guns to practice on, but I've never had any luck finding any.  Then there's all the paperwork and documentation.  

Many forum tech sites are loaded with information, and people who will gladly help you.  The S&W Forum was a huge help to me.  This is all "basic" stuff.  I've never learned the trick things that Dave, KC, Jon, and others know to turn an average gun into a great Bullseye Gun.

Oh, and unless you already understand all that stuff, there are some excellent animations for various guns, that show how they work.  I can post links, or you can just search for them.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 2/12/2023, 10:39 am

Some of the older texts are written for soft slides available back in the day. If you try to squeeze modern slides, many will simply crack. There was a bunch of stuff here from Jerry Keefer including pictures of his setups. Try to find those, they’re awesome

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Merick and Single_handed like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down