Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hammerli Misfires Every Second Round

3 posters

Go down

Hammerli Misfires Every Second Round Empty Hammerli Misfires Every Second Round

Post by Orion 2/8/2023, 1:34 pm

I recently had my hammer spring replaced and now every second shot, of 18 rounds, misfires. I can reload the misfired round into the magazine and shoot it without additional rounds in the magazine. Additionally, of 2/18 rounds on the first shot the hammer doesn’t cock back or the hammer doesn’t fall after I pull the trigger. 

Before replacing the hammer spring, the pistol would misfire somewhere from 3-6 of 50 rounds in any given position in a sequence of five. 

I’m using CCI SV which has worked for this pistol, historically. What might be causing this? Any insight would be appreciated.
Orion
Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

Back to top Go down

Hammerli Misfires Every Second Round Empty Re: Hammerli Misfires Every Second Round

Post by Ed Hall 2/8/2023, 1:50 pm

Some quick checks:

- Pull the slide and try the "plop" test for your rounds - they should drop into and out of the chamber without help.

- With a good light, look at the back end of the firing pin - see if it might be mushroomed at all.

- Examine the headspace to see if the top, where the firing pin protrudes, has closed downward at all.

- Look at the orientation and profile of the firing pin tip.

- Tip the muzzle end of the slide down, press and release on the hammer end of the firing pin and check that the tip protrudes and retracts.

- Examine the area around the extractor slot and make sure there are no dings from the extractor hitting beside its slot.

- Examine that no portion of the extractor other than its hook protrudes from the slide.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Hammerli Misfires Every Second Round Empty Re: Hammerli Misfires Every Second Round

Post by rich.tullo 2/8/2023, 5:03 pm

Ed' has it all, if you changed the Main Spring you need to change the recoil spring. 

You mentioned CCI SV, I have a brick I got and I am very sure it is lousy, other ammos run good. Try another Ammo it could be CCI. 

Last changing the firing pin and cleaning the firing pin channel makes a huge difference on these. 

If your pin mushroomed Cardinal has better ones and if you return pin to Walther they should give you a new one.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 2/8/2023, 5:48 pm

Another thing you can try is loading 6 bullets, I usually load a snap cap and see if that helps.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Orion 2/9/2023, 6:59 am

rich.tullo wrote:Another thing you can try is loading 6 bullets, I usually load a snap cap and see if that helps.

I took it back to the range yesterday and continues to fail on the second round, so not sure how using a snap cap helps anything
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orion 2/9/2023, 7:01 am

rich.tullo wrote:Ed' has it all, if you changed the Main Spring you need to change the recoil spring. 

You mentioned CCI SV, I have a brick I got and I am very sure it is lousy, other ammos run good. Try another Ammo it could be CCI. 

Last changing the firing pin and cleaning the firing pin channel makes a huge difference on these. 

If your pin mushroomed Cardinal has better ones and if you return pin to Walther they should give you a new one.

I shot some Eley target and Eley club yesterday, so I can leave ammo out of the equation. I’ll take a look at the firing pin and take some of Ed’s suggestions today.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down