Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wifi Camera to see Shots Fired

+14
Rotwang
FimRire RongLifle
Wobbley
GME
jyl
sbtzc
james r chapman
RodJ
DA/SA
WillH
Tripscape
SteveT
Merick
jshank
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wifi Camera to see Shots Fired Empty Wifi Camera to see Shots Fired

Post by jshank 2/10/2023, 11:22 am

I have an indoor range set up for 10-meter air pistols.

Has anyone had experience using a wifi camera to display the target shots on a laptop next to my shooting bench?  With such a setup I could instantaneously see results without having to stop and look through my spotting scope

jshank

Back to top Go down

Wifi Camera to see Shots Fired Empty Re: Wifi Camera to see Shots Fired

Post by Merick 2/10/2023, 12:02 pm

I made something similar out of a usb webcam and an old camera lens. It was kind of a hassle to put together though. I'd be interested in other solutions as well.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 2/10/2023, 12:45 pm

At short to medium range I would think a WiFi camera and tablet would be the simplest. A shooting range is pretty much ideal line-of-sight so there's a good chance it will work to 50 yards. I doubt it would work for rifle distances without an amplifier and/or high gain antennas.

There are a few commercial target cameras available. Also Google "Digiscoping" for some ideas.
SME Bullseye
Long Shot Camera
Eagle Camera
Target Vision

I recall seeing one range that used FPV RC cameras and transmitters but I can't find the link, but this DIY page(link) is basically the same thing. The only thing about FPV cameras is they are usually wide angle and would need to be very close to the target. The standard lens mount is M12. I would get the longest lens you can, probably 15 or 25mm. A camera with S-Mount would have more lens options. As long as it has a "line out video" it can be connected to the transmitter. Google can give you a lot more examples.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 2/10/2023, 2:10 pm

You dont need to reinvent the wheel. Just use scope to phone / tablet adapter.  Take pics too. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Gosky-Universal-Phone-Adapter-Mount/dp/B013D2ULO6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=15MBOVM86WEC8&keywords=scope+to+tablet+adapter&qid=1676059716&sprefix=scope+to+tablet+adapter%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-3

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 2/10/2023, 5:21 pm

I haven't been impressed with those cheap phone to scope adapters. I've used a couple and seen a couple more. All were cheaply made and not very stable. Hard to align the phone camera to the eyepiece and the slightest bump moves them requiring adjustment. IMO they would be too much of a distraction for use during a match.
SteveT
SteveT

Back to top Go down

Post by WillH 2/10/2023, 5:57 pm

I use a Wyze Wi-Fi camera mounted on a tripod for 10m indoor air pistol shooting.  It displays the target on cell phone.  The imaging is clear and easy to see the holes appearing real time. The unit was pretty cheap and was easy to set up and use with the app. I found it works best positioned in front of and just below the target bull - so that it is looking up.  The resulting image is slightly distorted because of that upward look but not by much.  It is much easier to use than a spotting scope IMO and is like a poor man's electronic target system minus scoring capability.   I don't think it would work for longer distance outdoor shooting since it requires Wi-Fi.
WillH
WillH

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 2/10/2023, 6:50 pm

A couple of guys I shoot with have a camera that attaches to the scope and displays the target on an iPad. The advantage is that if you touch the shots they display with red circles around them so you can tell which shots are new.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 2/10/2023, 8:29 pm

Tripscape wrote:You dont need to reinvent the wheel. Just use scope to phone / tablet adapter.  Take pics too. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Gosky-Universal-Phone-Adapter-Mount/dp/B013D2ULO6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=15MBOVM86WEC8&keywords=scope+to+tablet+adapter&qid=1676059716&sprefix=scope+to+tablet+adapter%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-3

MyStupidiPhone (copyright) keeps trying to focus when hooked up to one of these scope adapters. And for some reason MyStupidiPhone (copyright) screen is dark orotund the edges and only shows a small circle of view in the middle.  Is there some trick to using one of these?  I should note that I was using MyStupidiPhone (copyright) at a 25 yard indoor range with mediocre lighting, so maybe that’s part of the problem.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 2/10/2023, 8:45 pm

RodJ, I have seen one used, but never used one myself. You should be able to set camera into manual focus mode and screen jnto manual mode as well. This way you can focus and leave it be and screen brightness as well.  I am an Android user and this is defiitely doable.

Tripscape

RodJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 2/11/2023, 9:13 am

My experience with the phone adapter was my scope eyepiece had rubber armor and my phone is in a rubber case , so even if I did get it lined up, as soon as I had to tap the screen to operate the phone I lost alignment.

My current working apparatus is a webcam in a 3d printed 1.25 telescope eyepiece barrel housing, a 1.25 eyepiece to t-mount adapter, and a t-mount camera lens. I'll spare you the math but it has about the same magnification as a spotting scope. I can run it off a laptop, or a android tablet with a cable adapter.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/11/2023, 10:23 am

Merick wrote:My experience with the phone adapter was my scope eyepiece had rubber armor and my phone is in a rubber case , so even if I did get it lined up, as soon as I had to tap the screen to operate the phone I lost alignment.

My current working apparatus is a webcam in a 3d printed 1.25 telescope eyepiece barrel housing, a 1.25 eyepiece to t-mount adapter, and a t-mount camera lens. I'll spare you the math but it has about the same magnification as a spotting scope.  I can run it off a laptop, or a android tablet with a cable adapter.
Can you post a picture of the setup?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 2/11/2023, 4:17 pm

james r chapman wrote:
Merick wrote:My experience with the phone adapter was my scope eyepiece had rubber armor and my phone is in a rubber case , so even if I did get it lined up, as soon as I had to tap the screen to operate the phone I lost alignment.

My current working apparatus is a webcam in a 3d printed 1.25 telescope eyepiece barrel housing, a 1.25 eyepiece to t-mount adapter, and a t-mount camera lens. I'll spare you the math but it has about the same magnification as a spotting scope.  I can run it off a laptop, or a android tablet with a cable adapter.
Can you post a picture of the setup?
Wifi Camera to see Shots Fired 20230210
Not that I would necessarily do it that way again.  First off I went dirt cheap on everything because I wasn't sure if it would work, so that didn't help.  It does ok to good at 25 yards at full resolution, but cant resolve hits or scoring rings in the black at 50 yards using some digital zoom/cropping (there are in fact 20 hits on paper in the second target).  Also it gets a lot of motion hanging on the case lid, it would probably do better sitting with the camera assembly on the bench and the tablet mounted to the old scope mount.
Wifi Camera to see Shots Fired Screen11
Wifi Camera to see Shots Fired Screen10

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 2/12/2023, 11:10 am

In my earlier comment I assumed some or all of the WiFi cameras could be set up to be an access point so you would connect your phone or tablet to the camera's wifi network and be able see the image from the camera. As I look into it a little more it isn't clear to me if this is possible with most cameras.

Does anyone know if these cameras have an access point mode that will allow someone to see the image without a WiFi network in the area?
SteveT
SteveT

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc 2/12/2023, 11:16 am

How about a baby monitor?
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by WillH 2/12/2023, 11:58 am

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DRCFF81/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is the camera I was referring to earlier - which one of it's purposes could be a baby monitor.  In my application I'm using it to monitor my target instead of a baby - but I might call it my baby if I shoot high enough score. Has mount compatible with camera tripods. This is handy way to position it.  Note that I was responding to the OP which was inquiring about something to use for indoor 10m AP.  I don't think it would be suitable for longer range pistol shooting which the other posts seem related to.  I agree that in that case a scope adapter would probably be the best way to go.
WillH
WillH

Back to top Go down

Post by jyl 2/16/2023, 10:01 pm

It occurs to me that if you have an old, worthless 8mm tape "camcorder" sitting around, you could maybe stick it on a tripod, zoom in on the target, flip out the screen and see the holes for as long as the battery holds out.  Some of those Handycam type camcorders have/had 50X optical zooms.

jyl

Back to top Go down

Post by GME 2/17/2023, 12:35 am

The Longshot Hawk, which attaches to a spotting scope, has its own built-in wifi transmitter.  It will hook up to a phone or tablet.  I believe its wifi range is about 50 feet or so - plenty far enough.  

I got a cheap phoneless Android tablet off Amazon.  It works great with the camera.

The outfit is as good as the spotting scope you are using.  I can see .22LR hits with no trouble at 25 Yds.  It does pretty well at 50 yds, but I have an inexpensive scope (20x-60x X 60mm), so some shots don't show up in the black sometimes.  I need to spring for a scope with higher quality optics.   No problems seeing shots from my Mod 52-2 and 1911 in.45 acp .

I also have 2 of the the LR3 (2 mile range) cameras and 1 receiver I use for rifle.  Works wonderfully.  The LR3 is no good for bullseye pistol, what with berms in front of the target holders and all.  The camera is necessarily too close to the target to get it properly in frame.

Another plus with the Hawk: you can take pictures of the bullet-ridden targets.  A nice feature.

I'm on my 3rd season with the Hawk and 2nd with the LR3. I use one, the other, or both every time I go shooting.

Disclaimer:  I have no interest whatsoever in Longshot products , other than being a satisfied user.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/17/2023, 11:03 am

I have one of these. 

https://www.amazon.com/SME-WiFi-Spotting-Scope-Camera/dp/B07MC572D3?th=1

It works and generally has enough resolution to see bullet holes at 25 yards.  22s at 50 are tough… 

I have thought that it would be the ideal thing to use in a match rather than having to lean to glance thorough a scope, but am uncertain if it would be within the rules. There isn’t any problem with electronic targets in rifle or International events that flash the last shot while continuing to display the previous shots.  A rule that might catch you up is the rule on electronic devices cannot receive a signal.  Presumably this is to prevent coaching during a match.?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FimRire RongLifle 2/17/2023, 12:36 pm

Does the new sport shot work with newer Android? I saw one that only seemed to work with Android 7 or 8 and lower. I was like cool idea but we're at version 11 (at the time). I have been considering this or long shot version
FimRire RongLifle
FimRire RongLifle

Back to top Go down

Post by GME 2/17/2023, 3:36 pm

Wobbley wrote:
I have thought that it would be the ideal thing to use in a match rather than having to lean to glance thorough a scope, but am uncertain if it would be within the rules. There isn’t any problem with electronic targets in rifle or International events that flash the last shot while continuing to display the previous shots.  A rule that might catch you up is the rule on electronic devices cannot receive a signal.  Presumably this is to prevent coaching during a match.?

I've used my Hawk in one sanctioned bullseye match and several sanctioned bullseye leagues.  Another fellow also uses one in leagues.  No one has offered an objection.  Mostly, folks have just been curious and wondered if the cameras were used for scoring.  

I did a quick scan of the precision pistol rules and used some word searches.  I didn't anything about not allowing electronic devices which receive a signal.  Could you point us to a rule?  Seems to me this shouldn't be an issue, though.  The the camera setup is a closed system without anyone's input.  So, no chance of cheating or coaching.  Functionally. it is no different than leaning over to look through a scope.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotwang 2/17/2023, 3:55 pm

GME wrote:

I did a quick scan of the precision pistol rules and used some word searches.  I didn't anything about not allowing electronic devices which receive a signal.  Could you point us to a rule?  Seems to me this shouldn't be an issue, though.  The the camera setup is a closed system without anyone's input.  So, no chance of cheating or coaching.  Functionally. it is no different than leaning over to look through a scope.

Probably referring to 

3.22 Cell Phones and other shooting aids - Shooters are re- sponsible to ensure all devices in their possession forward of the ready line are silenced and communication disabled (e.g.: mute all sound producing devices and airplane mode for cell phones).

Rotwang

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/17/2023, 5:41 pm

That’s the one.  Since WiFi is a device communicating, it really doesn’t comply.  Now there are all kinds of WiFi/Bluetooth capable EarPods/muffs so I have no idea how it’s gonna be stopped if they wanna truly cheat.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GME 2/17/2023, 8:17 pm

Ok, my tablet is not cell capable, and I can easily mute the sound.  So, I cannot hear anyone who might want to help me with my shooting - even with blue tooth enabled.  What's left is an electronic way to see my target - no more of a "shooting aid" than a spotting scope, which is clearly allowed.  I guess I understand why I haven't encountered any resistance.  

All this is no guarantee that some old dinosaur (check my age) with a little bit of power won't make a heavy-handed play.  Stuff happens, and it sometimes has to be worked out behind the scenes after the smoke clears.  At the end of the day, folks feet should be held to the fire to answer one simple question:  What advantage does the camera bestow on the one using it?  I believe the answer should be obvious.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by FimRire RongLifle 2/19/2023, 3:50 pm

i just ordered this.. Its a TV screen although it can wifi also so it should be complaint.

its a tactacam spotter LR, on sale 50% on the vendor website.

I cant put links here since im new.
FimRire RongLifle
FimRire RongLifle

Back to top Go down

Post by GME 2/19/2023, 4:28 pm

FimRire RongLifle wrote:i just ordered this.. Its a TV screen although it can wifi also so it should be complaint.

its a tactacam spotter LR, on sale 50% on the vendor website.

I cant put links here since im new.
Nice looking, and at $150, the price is right.  As a standalone, it may not be great for Bullseye, though.  The screen is very small, and may be a challenge to locate it so you can see it after a shot.  Still, you can get a cheap, non-cell capable tablet, and use the wifi feature.  Look on Amazon for 10.1" tablets.  They are for sale for about $50 and up.  I paid about $85 for mine, because I thought I wanted the bluetooth  keyboard, mouse and stylus included with it.  I should have saved the extra cost.  Not worth it.   (Note: You cannot upgrade the android operating systems in these cheaper tablets.  The version you get is the one it will always have.  It hasn't mattered.)

Here's a link to a tablet stand, which has worked very well for me.  It can be used with a tablet or cell phone.  Doesn't collapse and folds up nicely to fit in my range bag.  The vinyl covered cardboard ones that come with some of the tablets are total junk.

Here's a link to the Tactacam

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next