Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revolver Gun Smith

+4
USSR
John Dervis
Tripscape
rich.tullo
8 posters

Go down

Revolver Gun Smith  Empty Revolver Gun Smith

Post by rich.tullo 2/13/2023, 10:23 pm

Any recommendations I live in NJ. 

I have a S&W M19 and wanted to lighten the DA trigger.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Revolver Gun Smith  Empty Re: Revolver Gun Smith

Post by Tripscape 2/13/2023, 10:48 pm

Rich, where in NJ are you? I am up North Paramus area.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 2/13/2023, 10:51 pm

I do not have a gunsmith recommendation but this is something you could do yourself if you are inclined.  I have had good results with changing out springs with lighter versions by Wolf.  I have also stoned all of the internal parts that rub together.  I DID NOT touch the sear/trigger/hammer parts where they mate together but just things like pivot points and rub points.  There is a video on YouTube that walked me through it and it was pretty simple.

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 2/13/2023, 11:05 pm

Proper revolver trigger job not only lightens the pull (and smoothness) but also removes friction on components for a better smoother trigger return. This way you can use lowest trigger return springs and still have a fast consistent return. Doing that while not messing up timing is where experience comes in. In a revolver polishing pins, holes and pivot points does nothing but introduce slack
Youtube videos give a good start and OK job. Nothing wrong with that. Excellent job, however, takes a lot of time and several cuts not shown in the videos (as they don't want you to mess up the pistol and blame them).

Tripscape

spursnguns likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR 2/14/2023, 8:29 am

John Dervis wrote:...this is something you could do yourself if you are inclined.  I have had good results with changing out springs with lighter versions by Wolf.  I have also stoned all of the internal parts that rub together.  There is a video on YouTube that walked me through it and it was pretty simple.

Ditto.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by Thin Man 2/14/2023, 10:43 am

I prefer the Wilson or Jerry Miculek spring kits to the Wolf.

Thin Man

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 2/14/2023, 1:10 pm

John Dervis wrote:I do not have a gunsmith recommendation but this is something you could do yourself if you are inclined.  I have had good results with changing out springs with lighter versions by Wolf.  I have also stoned all of the internal parts that rub together.  I DID NOT touch the sear/trigger/hammer parts where they mate together but just things like pivot points and rub points.  There is a video on YouTube that walked me through it and it was pretty simple.

John

I did a couple M14s in years past.  I have the Jerry Miculek video for working on the action which is very easy to follow, it made a great difference in smoothing the DA.  I've great results using Wolff power rib mainspring and their rebound spring kits.  A good gunsmith can certainly lighten and smooth the action further but found doing it myself provided very good results.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/14/2023, 2:56 pm

My brother is searching for a gunsmith to lighten the trigger on his new Colt Python.  Any suggestions?   He doesn't like my idea, of shooting it as-is for a while, so he hasn't yet shot the gun at all with live ammo.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/14/2023, 3:37 pm

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 2/14/2023, 7:27 pm

Tripscape wrote:Proper revolver trigger job not only lightens the pull (and smoothness) but also removes friction on components for a better smoother trigger return. This way you can use lowest trigger return springs and still have a fast consistent return. Doing that while not messing up timing is where experience comes in. In a revolver polishing pins, holes and pivot points does nothing but introduce slack
Youtube videos give a good start and OK job. Nothing wrong with that. Excellent job, however, takes a lot of time and several cuts not shown in the videos (as they don't want you to mess up the pistol and blame them).
I live in Cranford, Ironically the former home town of Austin Belhert. Belhert did amazing trigger jobs. No too far from Paramus.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down