Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finding ones way back to master after CABG surgery

+4
JHHolliday
bruce martindale
Soupy44
mhayford45
8 posters

Go down

Finding ones way back to master after CABG surgery Empty Finding ones way back to master after CABG surgery

Post by mhayford45 Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:58 am

I am in my 12th week after double bypass surgery and doing well. Out of rehab and working out on my own. I started to pick up my .22 and air pistol a few weeks ago and doing some dry firing and practice. Although my strength is not back, I am finding that my fine motor control for holding and triggering is definitely not what it use to be. After talking to my cardiologist about this he said that it may take many more months or may never come back and that I should focus on doing activities that promote fine motor control. Online research did not yield much more information other than that this is commonly called "pump head" and thought to occur because of being on a heart bypass machine and possibly having very small air bubbles circulate into areas of the brain. My sense of this is a increased lag in realizing where my dot or sights are within my wobble area and executing trigger control. I still shoot 10s but not as many.  

So, what have others experienced and what fine motor control exercises other than more practice with my air pistol would be recommended?        

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Finding ones way back to master after CABG surgery Empty Re: Finding ones way back to master after CABG surgery

Post by Soupy44 Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:46 am

Off the top of my head:

Puzzles
Bounce a ball off a floor or wall and catch it
Juggling
Tinkering (electronics, things with small pieces, LEGOS!)

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Finding ones way back to master after CABG surgery Empty Re: Finding ones way back to master after CABG surgery

Post by bruce martindale Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:53 pm

I can't comment on therapy with the exception of dry firing with the gun in your lap. This comes from W Cary Slipper. The other thing, from what you wrote, is you're apparently trying to pick off your shots and that, works for like, nobody. Put the gun up and focus on building the trigger with a 1 second period, irregardless of your wobble. It should settle in and be like watching TV

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:03 pm

Likely your cardiologist wants you to get back to exercise - mild at first, then building up.  Aerobic exercise (walking, hiking, biking, etc) is very good for the noodle as well as the heart.  Weight training also, which helps with strength and balance.

Less scientifically fish oil (omega 3 fatty acids) are thought to help with cognitive function.
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:07 pm

So Bruce, are you saying I should not perceive and wait for the beginning of when my sight picture starts to settle and then execute trigger?  My hold usually starts to settle around 7-9 seconds after I raise and focus on sight picture. I agree a clean 1-2 second trigger press+break is best. 

What I perceive is a lag in sight picture settling and recognition. I blow right thru my most stable sight picture.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:25 pm

Pull the trigger while attempting to point.

How much time do you have in Rapid? 

Why are the groups best there?

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by estuck Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:45 pm

Great to hear your doing well Mark. As you know I had surgery in 2018 to repair the mitral valve in my heart. I am experiencing the same thing you are. My fine motor skills are not where they used to be. I talked with my cardiac doctor, and he said the same thing your doctor said. Unfortunately my scores have dropped, and despite daily exercise, practice, and dry firing, it is not getting better. I have not shot any matches except the .22 indoor league, and have contemplated giving up the sport altogether. Once my scores dropped (approximately 20 points) it became even more of a mental issue. I have come to the conclusion that it is not going to improve, and I shoot because I enjoy the camaraderie. At least we are on the right side of the lawn! Call me if you want to talk.

estuck

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:55 pm

Your sense of self is not a number, enjoy life for what it is and where you are at. many came before you, many will come after. If it isn't fun anymore or isn't a challenge to yourself then fine. I'm not what I was and I'm starting to realize that while I thought I could be, maybe I simply can't.. But, I'm still trying

bruce martindale

Rodger Barthlow, djperry2, Gustavo1957, GME and popchevy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jjbhonn Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:55 am

I have been following this thread since it was first posted. Always eager to learn. Thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

I am a marksman. So, what do I know? Not as much as you and I don't give up.

I worked for a major company for 33 years. They said I was old, fat and ugly and should retire. Wasn't ready but had no choice. Four Calendar days after retiring, I went to the hospital for a triple bypass. Went home three days later because they needed the bed space. Had a slight problem with fluid build-up in my chest cavity, which was resolved by inserting a tube between my ribs to drain everything. Actively participated in "bypass recovery workshop" and made significant progress. I did not give up, though not much improvement on old, fat and ugly.

Volunteered to participate as a board member of my shooting club and a few months later, was elected President. In my first month in office, we had one of our ranges closed due to lies brought by disgruntled former members and believed by the property manager. Working with a great team, that range was reopened. We were also able to resolve several lawsuits without cost to the club. We did not give up.

Yesterday, I shot the .22 and center fire matches. I did not shoot the .45 match because I was exhausted (recently developed pulmonary hypertension but making strides to reverse it). My performance was not my best. I continue to work on stance, grip, proper breathing, sight alignment (dot) and trigger control (my shortcoming) during training. I dry fire both on a blank wall and while sitting without watching TV. I have posted my shot process on my shooting box as a reminder. "What does my eye want to see - squeeze" You know all these things as your classification recognizes your achievements. You are several months into recovery from a major body hurt. Consider buying a six-pack of patience at the grocery and as you did after surgery, begin at the beginning. Bet you will progress quickly. Don't give up.

I hit the gym 3X a week. I work on cardio, core and slow-twitch muscle building (high reps - low weight) in my arms, shoulders, upper back and legs. I also use grip-strengthen devices. I continue to take statin as well as Vascepa (expensive fish oil). Numbers are excellent. When not shooting/training, I enjoy gardening on a large scale and can still line-trim my fence line. Having had my CABG more than 22 years ago, I am doing well at nearly 76. Don't give up.

I have a number clearly displayed on my loading room wall - 2680. I am working on it. I do have one regret, though. I wish I would have shot bullseye before HP. If I had, I would have gone beyond HP Master. Don't ...

jjbhonn

mhayford45, Thin Man, popchevy, RodJ and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:02 am

You sir, not the big guns, are the people who drive this sport. Yes it’s amazing to see what the big talent can do and for us to aspire to. 
I’m president of an 8 club regional league in eastern NY. At our annual awards ceremony, l recognize both the newest members, and the oldest at 90+, as the key to our future. And yes, Don’t Give Up.

bruce martindale

STEVE SAMELAK, Gustavo1957 and RodJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:28 am

Kudos to you and everyone who uses the shot process to train the life process  Finding ones way back to master after CABG surgery 1f60e  Finding ones way back to master after CABG surgery 1f60e 

As to "old, fat, and ugly", recalls a bumper sticker seen locally: "I may be fat but you're ugly and I can diet"

(With due credit to Winston Churchill)
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:35 am

A update on the work...

I have continued to work out and increase my strength and endurance. I am still not back to pre CABG levels yet. However, my hold has stabilized and may be better than before as I have focused on what I needed to do to gain the most stable hold I could. This included what it feels like to lock my wrist and keep the same grip pressure while extending my arm to take my bicep out of the mix and a very slight left cant to the wrist with the weight of my arm feeling like it is supported by my shoulder muscles. Then all I have to do is exercise good trigger control.

As a result of this I won the local Sectional last week with a 863. It took everything I had to get through it. i was exhausted.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:39 am

bruce martindale wrote:.........you're apparently trying to pick off your shots and that, works for like, nobody. Put the gun up and focus on building the trigger with a 1 second period, irregardless of your wobble. It should settle in and be like watching TV
Bruce, everything you have written has worked for me - very pleased, but I've got a long way to go.

One thought on what you wrote - several people I have learned to trust suggest just adding more and more pressure to the trigger, and not deliberately firing - as you add pressure, eventually the gun will fire, and it will be a surprise shot.  For me, that made a huge difference - the shots improved when they happened without me knowing the split second when the gun would fire.  I think this is what you're saying, but you've worded it differently.

For me, in the past, every time I "knew" the gun was going to fire, the grouping was worse than when I trie the other way.  Now I do it without even thinking about it, having dry-fired this way for going on four weeks.
mikemyers
mikemyers

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:37 pm

Congratulations Mike, that's why I wrote the book. Others value it too and hence we have a banner ad at the home page. 

Thank you for your kindness

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by rfmiller Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:31 pm

After several months fighting AFib and tachycardia (including 10 days in intensive care) on Sept 1, 2018 I had a heart attack that almost took my life.  A stent kept me going but a few months later during an ablation the doctor discovered that a nerve branch was so bad that I was "a walking time bomb."  Now I'm chugging along with a pacemaker.  I don't do a lot of stuff as well as I once did, including shooting.  But I enjoy it (when I forgive myself for my mistakes) and keep it up.  And most of my best friends are shooters.  We all can't be #1 but we can participate in the sport we love.  I am slowly getting better.
And I'm alive and have seen two granddaughters come into the world!

rfmiller

Motophotog7 and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down