Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prescription Shooting Glasses

5 posters

Go down

Prescription Shooting Glasses Empty Prescription Shooting Glasses

Post by Orion 2/20/2023, 10:50 am

Where do you recommend to purchase prescription shooting glasses using insurance? I'd like to try some on, but most of these stores are online. Thanks.
Orion
Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

Back to top Go down

Prescription Shooting Glasses Empty Re: Prescription Shooting Glasses

Post by shootingsight 2/21/2023, 8:20 am

Without insurance, you can get a pair of single vision glasses made up for about $ 60 at Zenni.

Take your prescription as-is for red dot, or add +0.75 diopters to the sphere value for irons and order a pair.  They start at about $20 with lenses.  Pay about $10 to upgrade to polycarbonate lenses, which are shatter resistant, pay another $10 to get the best anti-reflective coating they offer, and then it is another $10 for shipping.

The only thing you might need to figure out is Pupillary Distance (PD).  This is the distance between your pupils in millimeters, when you are looking into the distance.  Have a friend just hold up a ruler as you look over their shoulder.  This isn't really critical for shooting, where you are aiming with one eye, and the answer is likely around 66mm for men.

Only trick to the math is to respect signs.  If you are near sighted, the sphere value might be negative, so if you are a -2.00 sphere and I say add +0.75, your shooting prescription would be -1.25.  If you are far sighted, and it says +2.00, your shooting prescription would be +2.75.

shootingsight

Orion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 2/21/2023, 10:51 am

If you're getting them through insurance get them as 'computer glasses'. They actually focus at the same distance (assuming you have the screens set up correctly) and the insurance company is a lot less liable to get excitable about it.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 2/21/2023, 6:47 pm

I used insurance for one pair I bought a few years ago. My doctor wrote them up as “sports glasses”. 
On my most recent pair I used a pay flex account so yes I paid for them but it counted towards my medical out of pocket for the year. 

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin 2/22/2023, 6:43 am

thanks for the info.
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content