Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel Compensator

+2
NukeMMC
RodJ
6 posters

Go down

Marvel Compensator  Empty Marvel Compensator

Post by RodJ 2/26/2023, 4:41 pm

I will call Frerking Custom tomorrow but thought I’d ask here. 

I have an old non lock-back Marvel Unit 1 (serial no. F49xx) with a compensator. It’s getting crudded up with carbon / lead / whatever it is, and am thinking about removing it and installing a sold “donut” to cover the last 1/3” or so of the barrel. Purely cosmetic because I see no reason the thing won’t work if it’s left bare. 

Anyone know whether someone makes such a replacement?

Thanks in advance.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Marvel Compensator  Empty Re: Marvel Compensator

Post by NukeMMC 2/26/2023, 5:51 pm

Once you find out what the threads are, get a hold of Hughes Precision. I am sure they can get you set up.
https://hughesprecision.com/product-category/thread-protectors/
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 2/26/2023, 6:31 pm

Thanks, but I should have mentioned that the comp is a slip on. Barrel isn’t threaded. Guess I could go to the hardware store and get a shaft lock collar with a grub screw. Hmmm…

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 2/26/2023, 7:13 pm

RodJ wrote:Thanks, but I should have mentioned that the comp is a slip on. Barrel isn’t threaded. Guess I could go to the hardware store and get a shaft lock collar with a grub screw. Hmmm…
Thats what i used, machined the sides flat to match the width of the slide. Dirt cheap and very heavy. Still have that thing around somewhere, i quit using it because i got a heavy steel combo rail that gave me the weight i wanted.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 2/26/2023, 10:11 pm

SmokinNJokin wrote:
RodJ wrote:Thanks, but I should have mentioned that the comp is a slip on. Barrel isn’t threaded. Guess I could go to the hardware store and get a shaft lock collar with a grub screw. Hmmm…
Thats what i used, machined the sides flat to match the width of the slide. Dirt cheap and very heavy. Still have that thing around somewhere, i quit using it because i got a heavy steel combo rail that gave me the weight i wanted.

This is what I did too although I left mine fully round.  IIRC it is a 5/8" shaft collar.  It adds a good bit of weight to the muzzle which keeps muzzle rise to a minimum.  It is a good solution and cheap.

Good luck.
John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by BHeintz 2/26/2023, 10:30 pm

Marvel Compensator  20230212
Marvel Compensator  20230213
I have one of these made from a shaft collar. I cold blued it real quick at the time, but didn't prep the surface very well because I wasn't sure if I was going to end up using it or not. So the finish doesn't look great. But you can have it if you want it, I'll ship it to you free of charge.

BHeintz

samtoast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 2/27/2023, 8:21 am

Wow thanks everyone. Glad I’m not reinventing the wheel.

BHeintz, if you don’t need it I’m happy to pay postage and a few bucks. It’d save me a lot of time at my grinder. Sending PM. Thank you!

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 2/27/2023, 4:29 pm

Ran mine without anything on the end until I got a compensator. Worked fine. No need to put anything on it. I like it with the comp better. But I have heard that it affects accuracy slightly but I didn’t notice a difference.

Last edited by toddcfii on 2/27/2023, 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 2/27/2023, 7:01 pm

It will be interesting to run it with nothing, with the comp, and with the collar.

Meanwhile, the compensator is going into the ultrasonic cleaner to see if the black stalactites will come off. So far a brush was useless and a dental pick is tedious. Shocked

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down