Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dual Target Lines at Perry this year

+8
RADJAG
SteveT
chiz1180
Dcforman
james r chapman
STEVE SAMELAK
Wobbley
John Dervis
12 posters

Go down

Dual Target Lines at Perry this year Empty Dual Target Lines at Perry this year

Post by John Dervis 3/9/2023, 9:44 pm

I got an email this morning from CMP and there is a section in there about registration being open for the National Championships.   Click on that and scroll down to the pistol section and in there it states that one of the changes this year will be 25 and 50 yard target lines.  No more moving your stuff between benches so it will now be like every other place I have ever shot.  I like the idea. 

John

John Dervis

Al, sig 99, chiz1180 and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Dual Target Lines at Perry this year Empty Re: Dual Target Lines at Perry this year

Post by Wobbley 3/9/2023, 10:54 pm

Speaking of targets at Perry, I know the targets come pasted on cardboard, but is there anything special to affixing them to the frame?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dual Target Lines at Perry this year Empty Re: Dual Target Lines at Perry this year

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 3/9/2023, 10:59 pm

nothing special, the backers slip into slots.
If (when the winds come) they have big ol rubber bands to tighten the frames.
I believe they are ow using repair centers so have a stapler handy
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 3/10/2023, 2:34 pm

The last couple of years they have been using repair centers so you should bring your stapler.  As Steve said, the cardboard slips into slots on the frame so nothing special about that.

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 3/10/2023, 5:26 pm

Lotsa pictures.

https://cmp1.zenfolio.com/p616860763

If your flying in, I have any extra folding cart you can use.

Jim
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 3/10/2023, 6:28 pm

Dual Target Lines at Perry this year A1383310

Is the circled area roughly where the pistol benches and target lines are set up?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 3/10/2023, 7:57 pm

Wobbley wrote:Is the circled area roughly where the pistol benches and target lines are set up?

Yup! There's 4 100-point ranges, all next to each other. Not sure how many will be in use this year. 

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 3/10/2023, 8:29 pm

Wobbley wrote:
Is the circled area roughly where the pistol benches and target lines are set up?
That is Rodriguez Range, last year that was pistol range 3 and 4.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 3/10/2023, 11:10 pm

This is a side view, Lawrence Rd is beyond the trees on the left, targets are on the right. It seems like the tent is further from the road than it looks in the picture, but maybe I'm just old and weak.

The rows of blue benches are the firing lines. If the rumors are true the second set of blue benches will be the 25 yard targets.

Dual Target Lines at Perry this year Perryreg23x2
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 3/11/2023, 7:42 am

I wonder if they will be using fixed 50 yd targets or add another turning target system
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RADJAG 3/11/2023, 4:39 pm

Hendo is here at the CMP Western Games in AZ. I will ask him tomorrow.

RADJAG

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 3/11/2023, 5:36 pm

james r chapman wrote:I wonder if they will be using fixed 50 yd targets or add another turning target system

I think the CMP 2023 pistol rules require at least turning targets. If Hendo disagrees, this might need an update:

CMP wrote:3.7.3 Target Line
Targets are located along a line parallel to the firing line(s) that is 50 feet, 25
yards or 50 yards from the firing line. Targets may use electronic or paper target
scoring. Targets that use paper target scoring may be turning or fixed, except
that National Trophy and National Championship events must be fired on
electronic or turning paper targets

NRA rules do permit either fixed or turning targets at 50 yards:

NRA wrote:6.8 Types of Target Frames -
(a) Outdoor Type (25 and 50 yards and 50 meters)-fixed
frames may be used for slow fire only. Frames which
rotate on a vertical or horizontal axis must be used for
timed and rapid fire in registered competition. Not more
than one record target for each competitor will be in firing
position at one time

I was researching this recently, and I'm updating my app to allow the option of turning targets on the long line, which will be in the next release.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Webb 3/12/2023, 1:34 pm

Wobbley wrote:Dual Target Lines at Perry this year A1383310

When Steve Samelak said they have some big ol' rubber bands for when the wind blows he wasn't kidding! The pic above is the biggest rubber band that I've ever seen Wink

Dan Webb

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 3/12/2023, 2:04 pm

If it is one firing line I may actually miss the fire drill between slow & sustained fire. Dual Target Lines at Perry this year 1883569342
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by RADJAG 3/12/2023, 2:39 pm

Jim Henderson (CMP Pistol Director) confirmed to me this morning that there will be two target lines at Perry from now on.

The target stands will be the same for both lines. The frames rotate with two parallel connecting rods between each target frame. The frames have the same "half tube" cardboard holders as before and big rubber bands will be provided.

The 25 yard lines will have pneumatic actuators, powered by compressors and small gasoline gensets.

The 50 yard lines will be manually rotated to "blade" position upon completion of Slow Fire shooting (presumably so that they are less likely to be struck by short line bullets).

The short line connecting rods at certain positions will quick detach. Those will be removed during slow fire to create convenient walkways with no tripping hazards. These passages will be clearly marked.

All sounds good.

The same target system was used at the CMP Western Games in AZ this weekend. Photos to follow.

My only additional comment/suggestion regarding cardboard backers. Not sure whether it is the glue used for attaching targets, or just from storage, but the cardboard tends to "dish". The full face target is usually on the concave side. Early morning sun then creates a significant shadow, not good. If the full face target is pasted (or better yet stapled) to the convex side, no shadow, better!

RADJAG

-TT- likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 3/13/2023, 12:35 am

Here are some photos of the CMP target lines at the Western Games held at the Ben Avery Shooting Complex just north of Phoenix AZ this weekend.

From the Firing Line, 20 lanes. Bright blue sky sky this morning, but a little chilly for the 07.30 start.
Dual Target Lines at Perry this year Cmp_wg10

This is at the high end of the 50 yard line. You can see the connecting rods between each target frame. Also the normal half-tube cardboard backer holders. Note my point about concave backers (probably caused by gluing the full face targets on to the cardboard) which are then in shadow as the low morning sun rises.
Dual Target Lines at Perry this year Cmp_ta10

Here is the actuator at the low end of the 25 yard line.
Dual Target Lines at Perry this year Cmp_sh10

Here is the compressor and generator.
Dual Target Lines at Perry this year Cmp_sh11

RoyDean

chopper and SingleActionAndrew like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 3/13/2023, 8:39 pm

It will sure make prelim day a whole lot better and nice for the rest as well.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down