Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How often cleaning?

+3
SingleActionAndrew
Pinetree
Novak
7 posters

Go down

How often cleaning? Empty How often cleaning?

Post by Novak Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:21 pm

Hey Guys - Need your help again!

How often should I clean my S&W Model 41 .22 pistol? I live in Florida, so I shoot in outdoor Bullseye (yes, I really prefer that term) matches every Saturday of the year. So far I have been cleaning my model 41 after every 900 match, which is every week. No alibis once I found the secret for my model 41. Do you think I can go 1 month (4 matches) without cleaning, or can I damage the gun somehow doing this? I really need your advice on this. How often do you guys clean your .22 match pistol?
Novak
Novak

Back to top Go down

How often cleaning? Empty Re: How often cleaning?

Post by Pinetree Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:27 pm

I shoot my 41 twice a week (60 rds) and probably clean it every six weeks.

They're so easy to break down that it's not a big deal, and it's usually more out of boredom than necessity.

Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Post by Novak Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:05 pm

Wow Pinetree! That's 360 rounds! That would be exactly 1 month shooting (360 rounds) for me. I will try it. Since I use a bronze brush to clean the barrel, I always worried if that is too hard on the barrel. Thanks.
Novak
Novak

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:08 pm

Novak wrote:Wow Pinetree! That's 360 rounds! That would be exactly 1 month shooting (360 rounds) for me. I will try it. Since I use a bronze brush to clean the barrel, I always worried if that is too hard on the barrel. Thanks.
Check out RamRodz and use the brush when it doesn't look clean with just the RamRod
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:09 pm

I clean when I have malfunctions, or at least one session before a big match. I probably have somewhere around 1200-1500 through my primary 22 right now (a Nelson). Don't plan on cleaning it for another month or so, barring malfunctions.

Basically the same for my 45, but it gets dirty faster due to downloaded ammo. 

I do have other guns that tend to lead a little bit more, and I clean those more regularly so I'm not letting lead buildup too much.

YMMV.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Novak Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:22 pm

Thanks Dcforman! I would never believe you could go so long! I guess I was just wasting a lot of time. I think I will at least go the full month without cleaning. Unless I start getting alibis.
Novak
Novak

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:08 pm

They say the worst thing you can do for a rimfire barrel is clean it. I clean my M41 barrel by pushing a cotton swab through it after I clean the chamber.

22lr ammo is dirty. The problem with a dirty 22 pistol is function gets unreliable; accuracy doesn't really suffer. Keep the chamber, magazine well, and other moving parts clean and clear of debris, and it'll be good.

With a M41, function may be more reliable if you add a drop of light oil to the first round in every magazine. I like Rem oil.

pgg

Back to top Go down

Post by shoot308 Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:22 pm

Load more than you clean and shoot more than you load is an old saying. I have a weed wacker line I cut and use it as a pull through with patch on the end. Learned that from Norwood on the All Guard pistol team when they let a lowly rifle team guy play with them lol.

shoot308

Back to top Go down

Post by Novak Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:51 pm

I learned to put a drop of oil on the top cartridge on several of my pistols about 2 months ago. On my Marvel, Model 41 and my new Sig P-210 Target 9mm. It works on all of these. Thanks PGG. Also you gave me an idea. What if I use my push rod to push a cotton ball through my Model 41? I know you said cotton swab, but a swab is too small. Maybe that is what you meant? I will try that the next time I do a cleaning. Thanks!
Novak
Novak

Back to top Go down

How often cleaning? Empty 22 Barrel Cleaning

Post by RoyDean Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:57 pm

Novak, very good question and something I've heard so many different opinions about. So, I asked my guru, whose word I trust and respect:-

"As a young guy on a military team I was shooting with guys who had medaled in world cups, Pan American Games, national champions and 4th place at Olympics in free pistol. They knew their shit!!! I was lucky to shoot with them all. They all said to let the barrels naturally lead up and only clean the chambers. They did RR testing and it proved the barrels shot the best not being cleaned/scrubbed.

I only use chamber brush on chamber and run a dry patch once a year down the bore. I use solvent and patch on the muzzle.

So if you want to clean with a brush how much difference does it make? Probably not enough to really make a difference shooting BE vs international free pistol..............."

So now we know!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Novak Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:25 pm

Thanks for the tip, Roy Dean. I will just clean the chamber the next time it is to clean my model 41. Of course I know the chamber is slightly larger than the bore. What size brush to you use, and does it have to be a bronze brush? I will buy 2 of them from Brownells.
Novak
Novak

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:33 pm

I've heard of others who use a 270 cal rifle brush bent through 90deg as being the perfect size.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down