Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RO New Feed Issues

+3
Merick
Jon Eulette
Mmcavoy6
7 posters

Go down

RO New Feed Issues Empty RO New Feed Issues

Post by Mmcavoy6 3/20/2023, 9:06 am

I need some advice on issues that have just come up.

I was shooting in a 2700 yesterday and about 2/3 the way through the 45 portion (I shot my 45 in CF portion) I started to get some feeding issues the round appeared to get hung up between the feed ramp and the barrel, I would try a couple time and get it to go.  Then near the end it would not go completely into battery. A couple alibi's and the match was over.  I get the gun home and notice some build up in the chamber not carbon but looked like lead?    It looks like the tip of Bullet is being shaved by the barrel as it feeds, and the small amount of lead is getting caught on the case rim.  I have shot 1000's of rounds with the same setup.  any ideas what is going on?  

Zero 185 SWCHP

Thanks 
Mike

Mmcavoy6

Back to top Go down

RO New Feed Issues Empty Re: RO New Feed Issues

Post by Jon Eulette 3/20/2023, 9:19 am

1) Barrel is supposed to fully drop down and lay on top of the receiver during feeding.
2) There is supposed to be a gap from the receiver feed ramp to the barrel feed ramp; approx 0.030".

Some magazines will let a JHP drive/feed straight into the junction between feed ramps, causing the jam you are describing. You might try a different magazine that allows the bullet to hit/bounce off the receiver ramp.

Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Mmcavoy6 3/20/2023, 10:20 am

Thanks Jon
Any recommendations on magazines

Mmcavoy6

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 3/20/2023, 10:45 am

What are you using now?
Use something different Smile
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Multiracer and Pinetree like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 3/20/2023, 3:55 pm

Please save your mechanical issues for EIC matches only.

I had a similar issue and after I opened the throat on my barrel it immediately turned into extractor jams.  My hypothesis is this is a non-obvious symptom of bad extractor geometry and tension.

Merick

Mmcavoy6 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by swissyhawk 3/20/2023, 4:56 pm

I had some feeding issues with the 185 SWCHP.  I resolved the issue by increasing the seating on the bullet.

swissyhawk

Mmcavoy6 and RodJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mmcavoy6 3/21/2023, 7:08 am

Thanks for the advice, what I don't understand is why now?  I have been using the same bullet, same recipe, same gun for 1000 rounds and then out of the blue it starts with this issue?

Mmcavoy6

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 3/21/2023, 8:37 am

Mmcavoy6 wrote:Thanks for the advice, what I don't understand is why now?  I have been using the same bullet, same recipe, same gun for 1000 rounds and then out of the blue it starts with this issue?
And same magazine?

Perhaps the magazine lips have somehow opened up slightly and allowing what Jon mentioned.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 3/21/2023, 8:38 am

Mmcavoy6 wrote:Thanks for the advice, what I don't understand is why now?  I have been using the same bullet, same recipe, same gun for 1000 rounds and then out of the blue it starts with this issue?
This is the nature of competitive shooting.  Sometimes it isn't that something just started or just happened.  It may have been occurring all along and just now manifested itself into a problem.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 3/21/2023, 5:53 pm

swissyhawk wrote:I had some feeding issues with the 185 SWCHP.  I resolved the issue by increasing the seating on the bullet.
Same here after a rebarrel by Dave Salyer. Was getting rounds catching at a 30 degree angle from horizontal or mostly in but wouldn’t go fully into battery. He said max .030 shoulder exposed and really ought to be .025 or even .020. Followed that advice and I also increased my crimp. 

Well over 1000 rounds, maybe 2k, and no problems.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down