Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pic/Weaver rail with dovetail to fit the S&W 41's with the extendable front sight barrel channel without drilling

2 posters

Go down

Pic/Weaver rail with dovetail to fit the S&W 41's with the extendable front sight barrel channel without drilling Empty Pic/Weaver rail with dovetail to fit the S&W 41's with the extendable front sight barrel channel without drilling

Post by tomd999 3/20/2023, 3:49 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone made one or know of someone that has? I don't want to drill the barrel as I want to be able to swap the rail out for irons now and then. I measured the included angle of the dovetail on a comparator, 105 degrees (70-35) which isn't a standard type cutter so I'm thinking of simply cutting a small slot at 90 degrees then using set screws to draw the rail up into the dovetail. Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance,
Tom

tomd999

Back to top Go down

Pic/Weaver rail with dovetail to fit the S&W 41's with the extendable front sight barrel channel without drilling Empty Re: Pic/Weaver rail with dovetail to fit the S&W 41's with the extendable front sight barrel channel without drilling

Post by WesG 3/21/2023, 3:28 pm

Boring bar with a hand ground 'lathe' cutter in the spindle. Needs a lot of relief on it. I think I spun ground one, and hand ground the relief from there. Or extended it from the bar so it had radial relief.

Or tip the head and mill the sides with a small endmill. The relief cuts into the rail won't be a problem.

Not able to wrap my brain around a dovetail wider than 90°, or how 70-35 comes out of that.

WesG

Back to top Go down