Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FULL METAL CASE???????????????????

4 posters

Go down

FULL METAL CASE??????????????????? Empty FULL METAL CASE???????????????????

Post by Cmysix 4/1/2023, 4:50 pm

OK, before you run off and say "oh that full metal jacket" no it's not.  I have HERCULES BULLSEYE LOAD DATA  It has a listing for a 230 grain FULL METAL JACKET AND  A 230 GRAIN FULL METAL CASE LOADS, I admit I'm fairly new but I have never heard "FULL METAL CASE" before is that a term for a PLATED bullet? TYIA
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

FULL METAL CASE??????????????????? Empty Re: FULL METAL CASE???????????????????

Post by Wobbley 4/1/2023, 5:23 pm

Full metal case and full metal jacket are one and the same.  There was a change in terminology and sometimes it is just repeated by the editor because the editor is unfamiliar.  A plated bullet is either plated or TMJ and they are different from FMJ or coated cast for that matter.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

ric1911a1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR 4/1/2023, 8:14 pm

Wobbley has it right.  The abomination of a plated bullet came along decades after Hercules was no more.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 4/2/2023, 10:05 am

"The abomination of a plated bullet"   I have to ask WHY?
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 4/2/2023, 10:15 am

Generally they don’t shoot as well as a cast bullet.  With the coatings they have now, there’s no real need for plated bullets.  In general, best accuracy is from Jacketed followed by cast then comes plated.  Cast bullets have the advantage of being download-able so they can be very soft shooting.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 4/2/2023, 10:47 am

Wobbley wrote:Generally they don’t shoot as well as a cast bullet.  With the coatings they have now, there’s no real need for plated bullets.  In general, best accuracy is from Jacketed followed by cast then comes plated.  Cast bullets have the advantage of being download-able so they can be very soft shooting.
are we talking fractions of an inch or feet? do you need to keep plated to the hot side of a load or can I down load them too, I'm finding load data ALL over the place! CPRN Speer alliant has that as 6 grains of bullseye for 939 FPS AND I have HERCULES load data for a FMC at 5 grains of Bullseye at 903 FPS, I have just opened a 15 pound round steel keg of Hercules Bullseye from the 19??'s and right now I am shooting IDPA so I'm trying to find a HAPPY load for that, Now that I've done something wrong again, I will have to get Coated cast bullets next, best coating? I went with CP because of the leading stories.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 4/2/2023, 11:37 am

I had some 38 Special ammo that had plated Wadcutters.  There were uncalled 8s.  Normal Wadcutters shot solidly on call and in the 9 ring.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 4/2/2023, 11:54 am

Cmysix,
If you're shooting IDPA, you don't need bullseye accuracy and you'll have lots of company shooting plated bullets.  Having said that, you can certainly shift to the more accurate, coated cast lead bullets which may be less expensive than plated bullets if you buy in quantity.  JMHO

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 4/2/2023, 1:01 pm

OldShooter43 wrote:Cmysix,
If you're shooting IDPA, you don't need bullseye accuracy and you'll have lots of company shooting plated bullets.  Having said that, you can certainly shift to the more accurate, coated cast lead bullets which may be less expensive than plated bullets if you buy in quantity.  JMHO
after taking a quick look I agree with this, one coating better then the other, lube ring no lube ring?
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 4/2/2023, 1:14 pm

Hi,

I've shot a lot of 9mm 115 gr. and 124 gr. coated bullets as well as 200gr. SWC .45 ACP coated bullets from [url=thebluebullets.com]thebluebullets.com[/url]. A lot of folks use them in USPSA shooting.  I've also shot plenty of 9mm coated bullets from Brazos Bullets. I think that the coatings from most well-known manufacturers are pretty similar. You shouldn't have any problems with "barrel leading" as long as you clean your barrel fairly regularly.

Jim

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down