Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Issues with Red Box Winchester Primers?

4 posters

Go down

Issues with Red Box Winchester Primers? Empty Issues with Red Box Winchester Primers?

Post by Soupy44 4/3/2023, 9:18 am

Been loading a bunch recently. I used up the last of my blue box Winchester primers and switched to red boxed ones. That's when the problems started.

First, I have a double alpha vibrator primer filler. I can't use it with the red box primers, about 1 in 50 flip and go in upside down. 

Also, my 550 is not just having trouble picking them up, but they are ending up cock eyed in the primer cup quite often. 

I am going to take a good chunk of my press apart for a light cleaning. Just curious if anyone else has seen the same.

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Issues with Red Box Winchester Primers? Empty Re: Issues with Red Box Winchester Primers?

Post by SingleActionAndrew 4/3/2023, 11:14 am

Small pistol or large pistol?

I haven't had issues or noticed any difference really with the new packaging, other than the bright red appearance inside the primers themselves. Old packaging looked cooler. But feeds fine in my Dillon 750

Edit: mine are the white and red. I recall now that Winchester also has a new all red box. The case I got a few weeks ago from TargetSports was still the white and red.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Issues with Red Box Winchester Primers? Empty Re: Issues with Red Box Winchester Primers?

Post by mspingeld 4/3/2023, 11:27 am

Same problem with Federal large, same primer filler. CCI primers worked great. A full tube of CCI goes to the very top of the tube. Federal is about 1/4" - 3/8" from the top. So, in conclusion, Federal, and apparently Winchester red box, are shorter and the Double Alpha primer tube filler was designed for the taller primers.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 4/3/2023, 11:33 am

Issues with Red Box Winchester Primers? Pxl_2014
Large Pistol

Finished my quick clean, nothing stood out. Nothing overly dirty. Since I never deprime on this press (550), it's darn clean to start with. 

I have reloaded about 3k rounds recently. Maybe it was circumstance issues started around when I switched primer cases. 

Another question, the little white pin the primer cup pushes out of the way to pick up a new primer, any advice on how often that should be replaced? I don't think it needs to be, but curious how long they last. Someone owned this press before me. I've probably loaded 20k rounds on it myself.

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 4/3/2023, 12:15 pm

To be specific about the double alpha tube filler, the primers flip right when they go in the tube. They are not flipping the in tray.

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 4/3/2023, 12:16 pm

I had 550 primer feed problems.  Fixed with new plastic parts in the 550.  Mainly I think was the plastic pointy thing the Primer Feed Stop Pin.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 4/3/2023, 12:37 pm

Soupy44 wrote:To be specific about the double alpha tube filler, the primers flip right when they go in the tube. They are not flipping the in tray.
Agreed. The CCI primers, being taller, were not able to flip. I emailed Double Alpha to see if the have any ideas. I'll report back when/if I get a response. They're usually helpful.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 4/3/2023, 3:35 pm

So I just reloaded another 500 rounds. I used all federal brass this time and had no problems with my 550. I'm thinking varying primer pocket sizes of the mixed brass was my issue there. Learned my lesson on that!

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 4/3/2023, 5:03 pm

If I understand correctly, you're having 2 issues? One with the Primafill and then with the press.

Here's the reply from Double Alpha, support:

"Please try holding the Primafill like shown in the attached picture." ... "You will have to put downward pressure on the lid for best results. I found it best to have your right index finger in the center of the lid and your left thumb on the lid by the exit hole. When your thumb pushes the lid down over the exit hole it really helps them fall".

The pic shows loading small primers so switch hands. I'll try it next time I'm loading. (sorry it's rotated)

Hope this helps.

Issues with Red Box Winchester Primers? Img_0610

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down