Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FA Wet Pin Tumbler sale

+14
djperry2
Multiracer
8eightring
zanemoseley
ScottB
rburk
RoyDean
WesG
Hammer457
jimsteele
Wobbley
RodJ
USSR
Russ OR
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FA Wet Pin Tumbler sale Empty FA Wet Pin Tumbler sale

Post by Russ OR 4/3/2023, 8:04 pm

SS pin / Wet brass tumbling:
Yes it takes more time - no, I don't think the bullets go any straighter - would I ever go back to dry media/vibe tumbling?-Only if I had to.

If you shoot A LOT consider devising a system so, as long as you have the stuff out, do 6K - 8K at a time with several tumblers going at once.
I do it in the driveway with hose & buckets - air dry in crude home made bags made of Dive mesh.

Midway FA tumbler sale - best price I've seen for awhile:   https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012721373?pid=713881    
 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012721373?pid=713881 
Wingdings Capital J,   Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

FA Wet Pin Tumbler sale Empty Re: FA Wet Pin Tumbler sale

Post by USSR 4/4/2023, 7:37 am

Hell of a price.   I have 2 of these, as I was processing brass for a commercial reloader for several years.   Done properly, the brass is completely clean inside and out and looks like new.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 4/4/2023, 4:06 pm

If I want to do say 500 45 acp cases at a time, should I get the smaller one? Or would the larger be more robust? Price isn’t too bad on the big one but the smaller is super cheap.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 4/4/2023, 4:12 pm

Think in gallon ziploc bags.  For 45 that’s 800-100 for the larger one.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR 4/4/2023, 4:19 pm

Not a lot of money for the large one, so go for it.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 4/4/2023, 4:23 pm

Yup that’s what I decided. Thanks! The larger comes with the pins, too. I’m sick of my dry media tumbler.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimsteele 4/5/2023, 6:53 am

I think the big magnet, and spinner are worthwhile additions also. I use them.

jimsteele

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammer457 4/5/2023, 7:36 am

I'm a big fan of wet tumbling.  Seriously consider NOT using pings, still does a great job and leaves a little carbon on the inside only which can aid in some flair dies.  Also, Brass Juice is a fantastic product get like new results.

Hammer457

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 4/5/2023, 11:32 am

Rats! Same price and Free Shipping on Amazon Prime.

Just heads up if someone is looking at buying.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 4/5/2023, 3:39 pm

Damn, mine's already shipping from Midway. Got the extra screened caps as well.

Been thinking about this for a long time. Ran a few hundred 223 thru the 'dust buckets' a week ago, so it was fresh on my mind.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 4/5/2023, 9:36 pm

So, are you saying that this is the best deal to go for?

FA Wet Pin Tumbler sale Fa_tum10

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 4/6/2023, 9:22 am

Amazon didn’t give me the package option with the magnet but yes I think that’s a better deal than midway if u want the magnet. Same price but free shipping with prime and free returns.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk 4/6/2023, 10:22 am

I have the small FA wet tumbler, it holds maybe 350 .45 brass.  Wish I had bought the large one.  That is a great deal.

If you are using SS pins, you really want the magnet.  The media separator that goes over a bucket would probably also be good to have.  I use a cheap plastic colander I bought at dollar tree and 5 gallon buckets, it works o.k. to separate the pins.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottB 4/6/2023, 10:43 am

Hammer457 wrote:I'm a big fan of wet tumbling.  Seriously consider NOT using pings, still does a great job and leaves a little carbon on the inside only which can aid in some flair dies.  Also, Brass Juice is a fantastic product get like new results.
When I first got a wet tumbler, I would run the brass for the max time (3 hours) with the pins.  Brass came out super clean but would stick in the seating and crimping dies and leave small brass shavings on the press.

Now I let it run for 45 minutes without pins.  While the brass doesn't come out as clean, the little carbon remaining in the case makes the press operate smoother and I no longer find the brass shavings.
ScottB
ScottB

PhotoEscape likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 4/6/2023, 9:03 pm

Works best if the brass can tumble more inside so get the large even if you only run a couple hundred at a time. I get by removing most of the pins with the screened caps and the remainder with the transfer magnet. The spinner would make it a bit easier but a bit bulky and have enough crap to store. Mine has been running for probably 5 years.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 4/6/2023, 10:07 pm

I have the smaller wet tumbler unit. My wife doesn't now I have been using her automatic dishwasher soap pods in the tumbler. They work great.  Laughing
8eightring
8eightring

Foundryratjim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 4/7/2023, 8:10 pm

Pins are the bomb.FA Wet Pin Tumbler sale Img_2047

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by djperry2 4/8/2023, 1:35 pm

That is a killer deal on the FA tumbler. If I didn't already have a Thumbler model B I would for sure order the FA. I don't have the pins but it works almost as well without them.
Darrell

djperry2

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR 4/8/2023, 5:57 pm

Multiracer wrote:Pins are the bomb.FA Wet Pin Tumbler sale Img_2047

Ditto!

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 4/8/2023, 6:45 pm

Mine just turned up. I've been planning on making the swap for a while to help reduce lead levels.

Before I start making messes everywhere :-) can people share their 'process'. Such as - what's the best way to separate the pins from the water? Best way to dry the cases?

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 4/8/2023, 7:33 pm

straybrit wrote:Mine just turned up. I've been planning on making the swap for a while to help reduce lead levels.

Before I start making messes everywhere :-) can people share their 'process'. Such as - what's the best way to separate the pins from the water? Best way to dry the cases?

I get an old storage tote or 13gal trash can and some old towels. Put your slotted end cap on the tumbler and dump out the dirty water and shake the pins out. Put the towels on a concrete floor and dump out your brass out, pinch and grab the end of the towels lengthwise and tumble the brass left to right, like cleaning a bowling ball, this will shake some more water off. Then let dry for a day or two, use a transfer magnet to pick out the remaining pins.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 4/8/2023, 7:35 pm

Only issue i have is the dulling of my brass over time. I used to think it was the Lemishine but think it could be my water. First time I tumble they get shiny clean but over time it gets dull but still clean.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottB 4/8/2023, 7:46 pm

straybrit wrote:Mine just turned up. I've been planning on making the swap for a while to help reduce lead levels.

First I pour off as much of the water as I can then I use a rotary media separator over an empty five gallon bucket.  Most of the pins fall into the bucket but there's also still quite a bit of water.  When I'm finished I pour off the water until I can see the pins and then use the big magnet to transfer them to a smaller container and let them dry.

I do all of this in the bathtub (with the drain closed).  It makes it easy to clean up and the pins that go flying when I'm using the media separator end up in the tub and are easy to see and collect.

Forgot to add...I use the Franklin Arsenal brass dryer to dry them.  Not a necessity but it gets them completely dry in about an hour at the lowest setting.

Last edited by ScottB on 4/8/2023, 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add info about drying.)
ScottB
ScottB

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 4/8/2023, 9:39 pm

zanemoseley wrote:Only issue i have is the dulling of my brass over time. I used to think it was the Lemishine but think it could be my water. First time I tumble they get shiny clean but over time it gets dull but still clean.
It’s so clean it has no protection from oxidizing.  Mix a final rinse with a capful of automobile wash and wax.  Then let dry.  The wax will coat the brass and it will last longer.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Motophotog7 4/8/2023, 11:03 pm

Wobbley wrote:
zanemoseley wrote:Only issue i have is the dulling of my brass over time. I used to think it was the Lemishine but think it could be my water. First time I tumble they get shiny clean but over time it gets dull but still clean.
It’s so clean it has no protection from oxidizing.  Mix a final rinse with a capful of automobile wash and wax.  Then let dry.  The wax will coat the brass and it will last longer.
+1 on the auto wash/wax, works very well. I use TurtleWax Zip wash myself. The only time it didn’t work was went I left the brass sitting in the water for a few hours, brass had the decades old dull look…

Motophotog7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next