Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

List of helpful shoulder exercises

+8
shooterer
rburk
-TT-
tovaert
hengehold
JRV
SingleActionAndrew
Chase Turner
12 posters

Go down

List of helpful shoulder exercises Empty List of helpful shoulder exercises

Post by Chase Turner 6/7/2023, 1:22 pm

Hello,

I was talking to a colleague who is about to go in for shoulder surgery- and the topic of PT after came up. He hasn't yet had any PT, but it made me wonder about any known good lists of shoulder mobility/flexibility/strengthening exercises that would be beneficial in our sport. Does anyone have a good online reference of shoulder exercises for our discipline?

Thanks,
Chase

Chase Turner

ric1911a1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

List of helpful shoulder exercises Empty Re: List of helpful shoulder exercises

Post by SingleActionAndrew 6/7/2023, 2:54 pm

There is one I learned in PT last year that is like drawing a sword. Describing here working the right shoulder. A light resistance band is held by both hands. Left hand is immobile through the exercise, held at left hip. Right hand starts at left hip area like drawing a sword from left side scabbard, with palm facing Away from you. Slowly draw the sword, lifting in an arc so it ends up with your arm fully extended above and a bit to the right of your right shoulder. Importantly, your palm rotates through this movement so that at the top of the stroke your palm is now facing you. Then gently return to starting position and repeat for 8-12 reps.  We experimented with all sorts of exercises and this one I felt was most productive to my recovery from surgery and back to shooting.

PT warned me against excessive stretching/mobility of the systems used for shooting. She said gymnasts are very unstable in static positions - that excessive mobility would be a detriment to hold stability.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

ric1911a1, Chase Turner and RodJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV 6/7/2023, 6:23 pm

An aside: Bullseye is way more than a grip strength and shoulder sport. None of us are lifting the gun in a vacuum—we are stabilizing it with our whole bodies every shot. All around strength and mobility will improve your shooting to the limits of your eyeballs and mindset.

If someone is brand new to strength training, I always recommend a copy of Mark Rippetoe’s “Starting Strength” and joining a local gym with barbells and free weights.

As for shoulder PT exercises, I’m in PT right now because of open heart surgery, and PT is not much different then my pre-op strength training—the weights are much lighter and I have nurses monitoring me the entire time. Lateral raises, front raises, cable flies, dumbbell flies, rear delt flies, overhead presses, Arnold presses, crossbody cable pulls, cable face pulls, dumbbell and trap bar shrugs, cable woodchoppers… those hit the delts directly or target the muscles and tissues around the delts (pecs, labra, traps, rhomboids, rotators, lats).

There are probably fifty YouTube videos from CPTs demonstrating each one. Good luck to your colleague!

JRV

Chase Turner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 6/7/2023, 10:28 pm

I have been swimming laps quite a bit over the past yr and a half. It feels great (low impact exercise) and works the upper body quite well.

hengehold

Chase Turner and JRV like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 6/8/2023, 6:51 am

This works well. 1 minute intervals, rest one minute, rinse and repeat until too tired to lift. 

My PT uses them, so I bought one for myself. It comes with an instruction sheet, different types of exercises. I extend it out, just as I I were firing a pistol.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodyblade-50864-Classic-Kit/dp/B0065PTC80/ref=asc_df_B0065PTC80/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167134995961&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14127201837467745276&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016243&hvtargid=pla-307401337417&psc=1

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 6/8/2023, 9:24 am

The "Thrower's Ten".

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=throwers+ten

Bodyblade is great too. I recommend the lightweight (yellow) one however, better for conditioning and recovery. The long black ones require much more strength.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodyblade-BBCXYLNT0-CxT-Kit/dp/B00CPBIA3G/
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk 6/8/2023, 3:38 pm

I've had PT for both shoulders.  I remember they told me not to do exercises that lift objects over my head, like military presses.  I follow that advice.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by shooterer 6/9/2023, 10:38 am

PM me a email address and I will forward my PT info.
jk

shooterer

ric1911a1 and Chase Turner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 6/25/2023, 4:30 pm

look up anything that has to do with rehabbing a shoulder from rotator cuff surgery. After I had mine done my PT told me whatever I did to try to improve my upper body for shooting, the key was light weight, lots of repetitions
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 6/25/2023, 5:02 pm

After my shoulder work, the doc and PT told me to lean over on a table edge hang the affected arm straight down and make easy small circles.  Start slow.

For strength on a healthy shoulder, PT said tie stretch tubes to the bed post and pull outward and inward with the elbow down against the ribs.  Forearm is horizontal.  Start easy.
Jack H
Jack H

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

List of helpful shoulder exercises Empty PT exercises

Post by ric1911a1 6/25/2023, 5:38 pm

shooterer wrote:PM me a email address and I will forward my PT info.
jk
JK,

Thanks much!

Ric
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 6/25/2023, 9:31 pm

Jack H wrote:After my shoulder work, the doc and PT told me to lean over on a table edge hang the affected arm straight down and make easy small circles.  Start slow.

For strength on a healthy shoulder, PT said tie stretch tubes to the bed post and pull outward and inward with the elbow down against the ribs.  Forearm is horizontal.  Start easy.
 I do that exercise Jack, and it's a good one for prevention of shoulder tears also.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down